How the South America conflict benefit or not DR!?

JOKL

Oct 30, 2006
With Venezuela and Ecuador closing their borders and disrupting the commerce with Colombia, DR has a chance to sell goods to Venezuela and Ecuador more easily( in case that DR have something to sell!).

I red the DR have a lot of rice from this spring crop, and having problems with the chicken meat and eggs, they have an opportunity to supply Venezuela and Ecuador with some agricultural things.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Dominicans eat more rice than they grow, having to import some. Yes there is a market for chickens and eggs in Chavez Boilvarian empire as his policies are proving to be a disaster.

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
With Venezuela nprmally importing food products from Colombai, perhaps the DR can ship more products to market. However, there are severe shortages of eggs, chicken and milk in Caracas due to Chavez?national pricing controls, which effectively took the profit out of the food producers, causing many to close up shop(duh). In a city of millions like Caracas, it is difficult to find milk. Maybe foreign food products like those produced in the DR will be able to fill the void, as foreign producers aren?t under the same Bolivarian rules as those inside Venezuela.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Your ideas of shipping foodstuffs to other countries are simply without foundation. The productive capacity of such foods are not within thecapability of the DR, which has a problem of producing enough to feed it's own population with even the basics of a sustainable diet. Beans, rice, plantains, batatas and thelike are in very short supply due to the interruptive forces of the recent rains and floods produced by seasonal storms of a greater magnitude than normal.
Then there is themovement to introduce crops which will support theproduction of ethanol to the detriment of food production.
There must be a balance between these efforts in order to achieve therequirements of a well fed population, ethanol production and export of the EXCESS PRODUCTION of any foodstuffs to other countrys.
I only hope that the element of "tunnel vision" doesn't take hold within this and future Administations in this regard. If it does, the DR will find itself IMPORTING it's "daily bread" for local consumption.
Remember, there is only so many hectares of arable land available on this side of the island that can be used for products necessary to sustain equitable nutrition within the population.
Think about it and act accordingly.

Texas Bill

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
There's plenty of productive land

TX, please ask Goya how much of the beans and other food stuff they sell abroad is grown and packaged in DR..

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Without asking, I would imagine that not very much, since Goya Foods, Inc. is based in Secaucus, NJ. There is presently an over abundance of peas, beans, corn, etc. being produced in the States without having to import such in large quantities for canning and/or dehumidifying (drying) for reshipment back to the DR, or any other point of origin.
I do find it very significant that Goya does include around 14oz of product per 15.5oz of weight per can as opposed to an average of 9oz of product per 15.5oz can produced by Dominican canneries. Now, which organizations give the most value and quality per unit of production, US or Dominican, considering that the prices are nearly the same per unit?
But then, we're not so very concerned that Dominicans are being ripped off by their own manufacturers, are we?? HUH??
In addition, I fail to recognize what you posted as having anything to do with what I posted.
I merely pointed out that management of the available arable land was of the utmost importance to prevent overproduction of that from which the ethanol would be produced. Do you have an argument about that aspect of thepotential of removing land from food production to the production of cane for ethanol, for instance?

Texas Bill

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Although Goya is a US-based company, they do have a plant here on the Santo Domingo-San Cristobal highway, presumably for processing local produce.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
In fact, I believe their food processing plant in San Francisco de Macoris largest or second largest food processing plant in the world. They process their Cibao-grown products there.

I just came from one of my local grocery store - a humongous Giant Food. In the 'ethinic food section.' Right beside a bunch of non-taxed NAFTA product from Mexico I saw the the following Goya product with the label "product of the Dominican Republic": Goya's Green Pigeon Peas Premium, Goya's Canned Coconut Milk, Goya's Red Beans. Also, Goya's Passion Fruit Juice, and pretty much all the other Goya branded tropical juices.

TX, go to the FDA website and you may be shock about how much packaged vegetables, fresh produce and other food stuff is imported from the DR and to the United States. And I'm talking about non-'ethnic' food stuff. There are plenty of Dominican 'ethnic' food stuff that wouldn't well in the U.S., but would do great in Venezuela. There are plenty of Dominican food stuff DR can't sell much of in the United States because of over saturation of the market that may sell well in Venezuela with a favorable tariff there.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Then all the more reason to castigate companies such as JaJa, Victorino andothers for continuing to rip-off Dominicans and not compete with Goya in the area of Quality and equal product in their canned products. The corn is the only product where the ingredients aren't half water.
Look at the labels on these products and decide for yourselves. Better yet, buy several cans and compare the water content (the soup) with the Goya Products.

Stop blindly supporting companies that cheat you own people, for crying out loud. Be honest in your assessments of Dominican manufacturers an quit supporting them just because they're Dominican.

Texas Bill

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
TB, it's a dirty little open secret that most of the high quality batches of many fresh produce and other food stuff grown in the DR are exported to overseas markets..

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
aegap;

What you say is true about the"ethnic" foodstuffs being sold to Venezuela. And I don't have to go to theFDA website for confirmation of the amount of foodstuffs being imported by the US from the DR.
Needless to say, we also import enormous amounts of foodstuffs from many SA and CA Countries including China, as an afterthought.
Have you ever given thought to the fact that the producers make more off those exports than off the local market, because their prices are, on average, too high for tehaverage consumer here?
If Dominican suppliers were to become truly competative, they would have a ready market to sell in right here in the DR. Instead, they keep their prices higher than necessary for locals and ship the excess to foreign lands.
I just happen to belong to the school of economics that says, satisfy your home grown people before shipping to foreign countries. That way you keep everyone happy and it's the right thing to do, bottom line not excepted. That's called the competiton within your own sphere of influence and provides a better lifestyle for your people.
What about that aspect of international competition?

Texas Bill

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Another thing, the farmers need a course in product quality. I get so tired of seeing overgrown and deformed carrots, celery which is not mature, and scallions and other farm products which are barely formed in the marketplaces, Idespair at the real future of the DR to really be competative in the aarea of farm products. The seed bases are getting too old for a viable production and need to be replaced with a fresher batch so that quality can once again become evident in the end product. The practices of the farmers needs to be modernized toward better and more prolific production in order to really take advantage of the arable land available.
I know this is a problem here and is evidenced daily by simply observing what is offered in the marketplace. Rushing the marketing of farm products is the culprit in many cases, but waiting until the product is too old and pethy is yet another.
I don't have the solution except to say that there should be a transition toward quality versus quantity in foodstuffs. If that is achieved, then quantity will naturally follow.
Grandpa's methods can no longer be tolerated if the DR is to become self-sustaining in food production. This is an area too long ignored by the central government and the Agricultural industry in the DR. These elements of Dominican Society need to beginfocussing on that particular problem if they are going to turn a vast amount of arable land into ethanol production, else they find that they have created an unmanagable monster.

Texas Bill

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
I don't have to go to theFDA website for confirmation of the amount of foodstuffs being imported by the US from the DR.

Texas Bill

A few of the fresh produce exported to the United States in the last months, ..

a variety of peppers, including: sweet peppers, hot peppers, Cubbanela peppers , red peppers, green peppers, and chili peppers, bell peppers, Thai chile green pepper you name it. All kinds of peppers Ha ha, now I sound like Bubble Blue..

...Long squash, Indian eggplants, Chinese egg plants, Dominican eggplants, regular eggplant, dry chile, cucumbers, avocados (third largest exporter of), 'Chinese' vegetables, 'baby' tomatoes, regular peas, snow peas, long beans, Papri beans, 'pink' beans, 'french' beans, "valor" beans, guar beans, okras, (organic) bananas,mangoes, dosakai (wtf is that?), cocao, canned coconut milk.

And here's a press release from Goya, ..

Goya’s Tropical Fruit Beverages Offer New Way to Beat Heat!

- All Natural Fruid Drinks, Packed with 100% Vitamin C
- Prepared in the Dominican Republic from natural fruit pulps

-Ten Tantalizing Flavors Bring the Tropics Home

June 2, 2005 - Goya Foods gives consumers a taste of the Tropics with its new, Tropical Fruit Beverage line. These refreshing drinks are made with all natural fruit pulp, contain 100% vitamin C and are free of artificial ingredients. Lighter in taste than traditional nectars, Goya’s Tropical Fruit Drinks come in 10 exotic flavors including: Passion Fruit, Papaya, Guava, Mango, Barbados Cherry, Lemon, Passion Fruit/Papaya Blend, Passion Fruit/Pineapple Blend, Tamarind, and Guanabana.
"Goya feels the market is ready for this product line, which appeals to all consumers and meets our high standards for quality and authenticity." relates Goya Vice President of Marketing, Mr. Conrad Colon. Goya also hopes to introduce consumers to healthy, native fruits that they may not have yet experienced. "Our Barbados Cherry drink for example, has a very high concentration of vitamin C, a single 8 oz. serving contains 470% of the recommended daily dose," continued Mr. Colon.
Festive labels distinguish these 16 oz. bottles which are packed in cases of 12 to facilitate distribution. Goya’s Tropical Fruit Beverages will be launched nationally this month and are a natural compliment to its extensive beverage line.

Last edited:

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Those with better knowledge of DR-CAFTA, has it benefited the Dominican consumer viz-a-viz the exporting of Dominican items?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Grandpa's methods can no longer be tolerated if the DR is to become self-sustaining in food production.

Texas Bill, Grandpa's methods are proving out to be the most sustainable of all and it delivers the best quality for the most appropriate price. It is the mass agribusiness that is proving out not to be sustainable.

Make friends with a farmer ... a vegetable farmer. Make sure you know what is going into the food that you put into your mouth, help the farmer to develop and he/she will help you eat the freshest and most beautiful products. Stay in season, eat in season and eat what people produce locally.

Yes aegap, I watch what is imported on more or less a weekly basis. Also the oasis reports of what is rejected on a regular basis. The list that you are quoting is mostly made up of frankenfoods. For heavens sake .. don't eat anything that won't rot naturally if left alone! If it does not rot, it is not meant to be food but is simply masquerading as edible stuff.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
. Hidalgo AND aegap;

I'm not familiar with whether or not DR-CAFTA has benefited the average Dominican or not. What I am seeing is that it has taken a US Company, with a plant in the DR to bring some NEW producrts to this country. aegap just proved that by his post.
This is what I have been saying all along, is that the mindset of the average DR company is one of archaic marketing, refusal to change to more modern methods and to produce a quality merchadise while increasing their profit margin after a brief period of readjustment that will be necessary.
I'm NOT AGAINST the DR seeking additional markets for their products, nor am I against any of the producers of the foodstuffs made available to the local marketplace. What I AM AGAINST is the complacency with which those producers treat their captive clientele and take advantage of their ignorance of something better just because they want to maintain the Status Quo and their so-called leadership in the realm of agricultural products.
Goya is slowly building a better mousetrap, though the companies of JaJa, Famosa, Victorina and the like just don't realize it yet, occupied as they are with the current "bottom line". They haven't looked to the future in such a very long time and if they don't their days are numbered if they don't start doing so. They MUST learn that competition isn't all about pricing; it entails the manufacturing of a better quality product at the same price, or lower, than their competitor. I am saying that they are currently producing a shoddy product and are at the same time cheating their citizens with the "appearence" of a good nutritional product at a "fair" price.
Are you still convinced that your counter commentary is on that track??

Texas Bill

Last edited:

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
I appreciate the old marketplace as having a few overgrown carrots, to me, seems natural and genetically sound. Please correct me if I?m wrong, but seeing fruits and veggies here in the DR, unperfect and strange, makes me think I'm getting a natural product.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
I suppose that I'm really not getting my point across, which is the simple fact that there is no standard from which the farmer, or producer of farm products isbrought to face the proposition of producing a vegetable or fruit that is more marketable and of a better quality and appearance through the modernization of seed used and the methods of production.
Just simply go to the supermercado, or local veggie market and compare thepackaged products with those having the soil still evident and you'll see my point, maybe. It is probably that I am just spoiled by the comparison I make to those same products that I remember from the States.
I'll still eat the products here, but can only wish that looked and tasted better without those rooty and stringy characteristics so prevelent.

Texas Bill

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
I guess in my continuing travels that I have gotten used to taking what I get, sans packaging....I like it that way, not being marketed to, just eating waht is available and enjoying the differences of the local flavor. But I understand your point I think, being that how can (or why can they not) present their product in a more marketable way. The answer is that their market isn?t international, and so, why bother? In all of the countries I travel, only a U.S. supermarket has fruits and veggies from 20 different other countries. I prefer what is in season to be what I eat, but that?s just me. I love the no packaging thing however!