What is allowed from US to DR ?

travel777

Feb 21, 2008
We would like to know if we can bring fresh meats/hamburg/wine/beer in our checked luggage? We are staying in a private villa, very remote area, and have been told the selection of hamburg (we need a good burger at times) and meats are so so. Will customs take our cooler of food? Thank you

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I don't know whether they'll take your cooler, but I just flew from New York JFK on Jet Blue into POP and they didn't even go through my luggage. I brought grapes, cheeses, nuts, cooked bacon, bagels, and some dry goods - all in carryon luggage.

The customs sheet asks if you are bringing stuff in and I said no!

Taking stuff out of the country, however, is a definite no no.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
We would like to know if we can bring fresh meats/hamburg/wine/beer in our checked luggage? We are staying in a private villa, very remote area, and have been told the selection of hamburg (we need a good burger at times) and meats are so so. Will customs take our cooler of food? Thank you

Generally speaking, it is not usually accpetable practice to bring meat products out of one counntry and into another.

Drro, I guess luck was on your side that the products you didnt declare went undetected upon arrival into POP.

I say when it comes to aduanas, honesty is the best policy. I dont think it is worth falsifying your declaration at the risk of getting caught, it could cost you dearly in more ways than one.

Good luck with whatever decision you take.

domingodeb

Feb 18, 2008
I don't have much knowledge of this except that on two occasions I have had sealed (unopened) bags of nuts, almonds once cashews the other, taken from me upon arrival in DR.
Maybe the guys checking were just in need of a snack....who knows.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
My sons bring back prime and choice meats--frozen--as well as Italian hot sausages. I don't know about hamburgh meat, however...

They just freeze the meat iron-hard and wrap it well....no problem, and this has been going on for a few years.

Good luck..

HB

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
WHO THE HECK goes on vacation and brings THEIR OWN FOOD to another country??? :(:(:(

You people are out of your mind!!! Experience something new for once!!! Live a little!!!

Who cares if the burgers are not good??? Eat the typical Dominican stuff and learn from a new culture!!!

Sheeeeeeesh!!!! :(:(:(

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Legally

You cannot bring meat into the DR from anywhere else legally, nor fruits, nor vegetables nor the like. If you don't get caught, which happens all the time, then more power to you I guess. Transborder shipments are a touchy subject regarding disease and whatnot. It goes both ways. An important point to remember.

santobonao

Bronze
Jun 3, 2003
www.telemundo.com
You can't not bring Meat to Dominican Republic..maybe other stuff like wine, beer and other stuff.

Same rules apply with Dominican Republic to United States.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
why would one want to bring meats (especially burgers) on a long flight?

Beer and wine is fine. but why? when the presidentes in DR are so good!

How long are you traveling for? Even if you are in a remote area perhaps it would be wise to hire a driver to take you to a decent market and buy your provisions there.

IF you are not in a touristy area there are still some larger supermarkets around and the meat, cheeses and produce are available at good prices.

Pehrpas you could tell us where the villa is...and someone can offer better and more precise shopping options.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I know several people (myself included) who bring meat and other food from the US often. Ive had my cooler opened and they never "confiscated" anything.

I, for one, bring back certain "comfort" items when I return here because I miss them and there is nowhere close (if at all) to find them. As for beef, because no one dry ages beef here (at least to my knowledge), you're only choice is imported, frozen angus, omaha, etc...so why not just bring it yourself?

As for burgers, Ive found that buying the cheaper ground beef (with at least 20% fat content) tastes much better than the prime stuff here...and pretty much like ground chuck or even ground round from the US. The regular ground beef here has less than 10% fat content - like ground sirloin in the US, but because of this has very little flavor, dries out easily, and has an odd texture when cooked.

if you do decide to bring frozen foods...make sure they're VERY frozen and packed as tightly as possible in a good cooler. I usually have one or two of theose blue gel frozen ice packs in there as well. And unless you add some dry ice, it will probably be starting to thaw by the time you arrive in the DR...

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Also...bringing wine isn't a bad idea as prices are fairly high and selection, except in Santo Domingo is pretty limited, but unless you only drink a specific brand of beer, I wouldn't bother bringing that...