Road bike rental?

Flesner

Mar 11, 2008
Is it possible to rent road bikes for a couple of weeks? Last year, I biked around Puerto Rico, and it was a great way to get around. Is this something that would be feasible in the DR? I'm thinking of starting near Samana, but can be flexible about that.

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
Bikes are rented on the malecon, easily visible. Yamaha 125 enduro, comfortable for north coast travel. I think they ASK 800 day. Negotiate, especially for more than a day. You will have to return a rented bike to the place you got it, regardless of where you start. Happy trails.....

Flesner

Mar 11, 2008
Actually, I was thinking of a bicycle, rather than a motorcycle....

But motorcycle could also be a possibility! :)

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
In that case I would bring your own, or rent one from home. I don?t know of anywhere to rent a good touring bike on the north coast, and the condition of the bike would be hit or miss. Your local bike shop will surely have a good ride that they?ll rent, along with a travel case. Then you know what you have. But a motorcycle is a great way to see the country, especially on the north coast which has a decent coastal road, lots of little towns to stay in,etc. You can PM me if you want specifics on motorbike travel, etc.

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
If with road bike you mean a racing bike (or even touring), I don't think you will find those for rent. You'd have to do with mountainbikes, or bring your own.
Iguana Mama in Cabarete rents out good mountainbikes. The only other place with good bikes for rent I know is in a village in the mountains above Ocoa, but that's the South Coast.
I know of people who have done long distance bike trips around the country, so it is feasible. They were people that had done similar trips in Africa or Asia before. And they brought their own bikes.