Hospital Metropolitano de Santiago (HOMS)

Indian Juan

Dec 26, 2007
HOMS Part 2.
El Caribe today was ask to do a Retraction and aploligize to Dr. Sonia Lizardo- Dillon.
Please see link of the HOMS story that says the HOMS Feasibility Study was done in 1997.
http://www.elcaribecdn.com.do/artic...d=FA4D19DD21624487838B522FD048D329&Seccion=63

In fact the HOMS Feasibility Study was done in 1999 if you see the actual book at HOSPITAL METROPOLITANO DE SANTIAGO
Reference-http://elcentineladigital.net/index.php?idv=12069606553292&#sc
Homs Hospital is no longer on the web, I think there url is www.homshospital.com

I also noticed at the site below it states the the Homs Feasibility Study was done on 1997.
LEONEL INAUGURA HOSPITAL METROPOLITANO DE SANTIAGO - Noticias y Política de República Dominicana - Foros Univision

Does anyone do there homework because there is such a thing of a individuals
work, copyrights and infringements and laws.

I hope someone will be able to shine some light on this subject.
Where there new Books made or was there some changes made to the original
HOMS Feasibility Study Book?
Did someone just say they dit it?
Did someone just say they think someone else did it?
I wonder where the newpaper got there information?
I wonder where giovanny2002 got his information?
I got mine from the original source.
HOMS Feasibility Study Book below are actual pages done by Dr , HOSPITAL METROPOLITANO DE SANTIAGO
The old rule of thumb in any good reporting is to get the facts and contacts to back the information up and see the material and if you made a honest mistake then Retract it and apologize.

Respectfully,
Juan

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
ok, so, here is a question about this hospital...

almost every dominican i know in santiago tells me this hospital "accepts" US medical insurance.

can someone confirm this? if this is the case then how does it work???

do i just walk in to the emergency room (if i have an emergency), show them my card and they bill my insurance company?

if it's that simple and easy then this is super cool!!!

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Read your medical insurance policy or call them. If the policy says coverage only in the continental USA, then no coverage overseas. Again as we know every coverage of these alphabet soup of health policies we have here in the states are different, so maybe some will cover overseas. I will be checking mine.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Who cares if it covered? ie health care is cheap here. Heck, my wife's cesarian last year cost me RD15k with a one night stay in a private clinic. Sure here sister knew the doc but the price probably still have been no more than RD25k - try that back home.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Checked with my company medical plan and yes they will cover as an out-of -network claim. Pay up front then I submit my receipts and my company insurance will reimburse me at customary out-of -network coverage.

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
Maybe I should have phrased the question this way...

Does this hospital and it's doctor's participate in the pool of "approved" physicians. I will be asking my insurance co. this question. If they do participate then I assume it will be like going to a doctor here in the u.s.a. and it won't be treated as an "out of network" visit.

A. Hidalgo - my insurance company does the same. However, not all is resimbursed. When I got really ill in the DR (read this http://www.dr1.com/forums/trip-reports/58680-my-first-trip-report.html ) I paid upfront. Total of roughly 100,000 pesos. At the time the dollar was 33.50. That's almost 3,000 USD. I only got back 1,900 from the insurance company after appealing twice saying it was too little.

Last edited:

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
That is what customary out-of -network rates are all about. You are only reimbursed a certain percentage ie 20 or 30% etc. With the way insurance is in the states they are reimbursing less and less. System is crashing.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Does this hospital and it's doctor's participate in the pool of "approved" physicians.

If the hospital in in-network with your health plan then you will be covered at 100% or with very little out-of-pocket expenses or deductables. Chances are it is not.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Maybe I should have phrased the question this way...

Does this hospital and it's doctor's participate in the pool of "approved" physicians. I will be asking my insurance co. this question. If they do participate then I assume it will be like going to a doctor here in the u.s.a. and it won't be treated as an "out of network" visit.

A. Hidalgo - my insurance company does the same. However, not all is resimbursed. When I got really ill in the DR (read this http://www.dr1.com/forums/trip-reports/58680-my-first-trip-report.html ) I paid upfront. Total of roughly 100,000 pesos. At the time the dollar was 33.50. That's almost 3,000 USD. I only got back 1,900 from the insurance company after appealing twice saying it was too little.

I called them and they need to know the name of your insurance. They said if you give them a call and give them all of the info, they can give you a definative answer:

829-947-2222 x3055, 3056, 3057, 3058, 3059

They work from 8 til 6 corrido.

a su orden

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
Wowwww thanks soooo much Chip!!! I will def give them a call when I get home. Or buy a calling card and bring it to work tomorrow. This is really interesting!!! I'm also going to call Aetna. Will report what Aetna said.

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
If the hospital in in-network with your health plan then you will be covered at 100% or with very little out-of-pocket expenses or deductables. Chances are it is not.

Tell me about it. Even for in doctor care they don't pay what they used to.

I thought about buying a health plan in the DR and use that while I'm there. I just don't know which one to get.

Edited to add: just called aetna and they consider anything outise the USA out of network. SUCKS!!!

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2006
Guys, no regular health insurance plan (Aetna, Cigna, Blue Cross/Blue Shield, etc.) will cover you outside on the US as if you were in-network.

When people say that HOMS will accept your US based insurance, it is a matter of semantics. Basically, what they mean is that for certain US based health plans, the hospital will accept "assignment of benefits". In simple terms, the hospital knows that depending on the health plan, you are entitled to have your treatment at HOMS or any other foreign facility covered as an out of network claim, so they will file the claim directly with your insurance company and accept whatever payment they get from them without the patient having to pay up-front. Keep in mind that HOMS is more than likely billing at US rates, so even the reduced payment (after deductible and applicable coverage percentage) is more than they would charge a typical Dominican patient.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
so they will file the claim directly with your insurance company and accept whatever payment they get from them without the patient having to pay up-front.

This is not what my health plan told me but if this is the case, then that will definitely work for me. I'm sure El Tigre will also be a happy camper.

Last edited:

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Guys, no regular health insurance plan (Aetna, Cigna, Blue Cross/Blue Shield, etc.) will cover you outside on the US as if you were in-network. QUOTE]

This is not really correct. It depends completely upon a person's particular coverage and the presence or absence of riders to that coverage.

In October of 2005, I suffered a serious fall with consequent fractures that eventually required surgery.

I was admitted to Bournigal in Puerto Plata two times for closed reductions under general anesthesia. The hospital billed my insurance a bit over six thousand dollars for the first admission and slightly over five thousand for the second. The eventual surgery took place in the US and was covered in full (except for a $16.00 20% co-pay under major medical for the initial consultation with the orthopedist).

The bill from Centro Medico Bournigal was paid in full, with no deductible or co-pay or surcharge to me.

I have Traditional Blue Cross and Blue Shield with an out of area rider. The rider provides out of area coverage, when necessary, at prevailing rates.

Unfortunately, I will lose that coverage when Medicare becomes primary and BC/BS becomes complementary insurance.

Jan 5, 2006
La Profe, yours is a unique situation, in that you were eventually treated for your injuries at a US facility.

You have to understand that health insurance policies provide different levels of coverage based on various factors. A common example is how companies will pay for emergency coverage. Two claims can be treated and paid totally different based on whether the patient was admitted to the hospital following an emergency room visit or just released; even while in the US, at an in-network facility.

Now, if we are talking about someone just visiting DR and they have your run of the mill group health coverage (through work), and they get sick, go to the hospital, get treated and released; that claim will be paid as an out of network service, subject to your out of network copay and deductible. If you want to confirm this, it's as simple as calling the 800 number on the back of your member card. ;) In such a case, most health facilities will expect payment at the time of service, however, in the case of HOMS, they may be satisfied to accept an assignment of benefits and file the claim directly with your insurance company.

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
Medicare Coverage

My Medicare provider, United Health Care - AARP - Secure Horizons, will pay only for emergengy room treatment in the DR with a 25% co-pay. The coverage is good for six month periods based upon return to the states. I must maintain my primary residence in the US at all times.
My fear is getting a DR company to cover me with my preexisting conditions.
Medicare only offers coverage outside the States for a few hospitals in Canada and Mexico. I have had discussions with Medicare concerning HOMS and was specifically told no to any coverage other than emergency room care.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
In my case, my Blue Cross/Shield paid BOTH the orthopedist and hospital in the DR, then they also paid the orthopedist and hospital in the US.

Evidently, my policy is different in that it will not pay for ER services unless I am admitted and it will not pay under major medical for doctor visits while I am in the DR. They would have paid the hospital admissions whether or not I returned to the US for additional care.

Bournigal accepted an assignment of benefits, but required an imprint of a credit card in case the claim was denied. Nothing was ever charged to that credit card!

My policy, btw, is through my former employer.

Indian Juan

Dec 26, 2007
HOMS Part 2.
El Caribe today was asked to do a retraction and apologize to Dr. Sonia Lizardo- Dillon.
Please see link of the HOMS story that says the HOMS Feasibility Study was done in 1997.
http://www.elcaribecdn.com.do/artic...d=FA4D19DD21624487838B522FD048D329&Seccion=63

In fact the HOMS Feasibility Study was done in 1999 if you see the actual book at HOSPITAL METROPOLITANO DE SANTIAGO
Reference-http://elcentineladigital.net/index.php?idv=12069606553292&#sc
Homs Hospital is no longer on the web, I think there url is www.homshospital.com

I also noticed at the site below states the the Homs Feasibility Study was done on 1997.
LEONEL INAUGURA HOSPITAL METROPOLITANO DE SANTIAGO - Noticias y Pol?*tica de República Dominicana - Foros Univision

Does anyone do there homework because there is such a thing of a individuals
work, copyrights, infringements and laws.

I hope someone will be able to shine some light on this subject.
Were there new Books made or were there some changes made to the original
HOMS Feasibility Study Book?
Did someone just say they dit it?
Did someone just say they think someone else did it?
I wonder where the newpaper got the information?
I wonder where giovanny2002 got his information?
I got mine from the original source.
HOMS Feasibility Study Book below are actual pages done by Dr , HOSPITAL METROPOLITANO DE SANTIAGO
The old rule of thumb in any good reporting is to get the facts and contacts to back the information up and see the material and if you made a honest mistake then Retract it and apologize.

Respectfully,
Juan