Car rental or taxi in Santo Domingo

hedon

Mar 26, 2008
I'm going to Santo Domingo. Is it best to rent a car or get around the city by taxi? I drove through SD. a couple of months ago but wasn't staying there. This time I'm staying about a ten minute walk from La Zona Colonial in Gazcue. I do hang out late. Also how much should a taxi be from the airport. Any advice would be appreciated
Thanks

Dj-torn

Apr 17, 2008
If you don't know the Area and your agressive driving skills are not so good, Go for taxi, Its a lot less stress.
Other wise renting a car from the correct car rental company maybe cheaper in the long run.

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
i would do the taxi thing. its much less stressful and that way if you're out late drinking a presidente or 2 you wont have to worry about driving. also, during the day and early evening, you can walk to and from gazcue and the zona colonial. i did it almost every day for a month and it was fine.

a taxi to/from the airport cost me about $30 USD.

donmiguelito

Jul 21, 2007
If you're only planning to stay and hang out in the CZ and central SD tourist areas, I agree that a taxi is your best choice. You don't have to worry about car damage, drinking and driving, police hassles, etc.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I totally agree. TAXIS all the way. Ask which taxi company is your best bet. I always use Apollo, and find that they give me good service. There are other good companies.

A taxi in that area is generally about 120-150 pesos. And you can haggle a bit, too.

"estoy borracho, pero no tan borracho! B?jamela un poquito, por favor" if you think he is asking you too much. Or you can get the fare from the dispatcher.

HB