Tornado - La Vega?

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Just received a report by phone that about 3pm today a tornado hit in La Vaga.

Anyone have any news about this?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I heard there is a lot of damage. I know here in Jarabacoa we had one helluva of windstorm with rain around the same time, tons of lightning.

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
Sorry, I started a new thread about this in the Northeast Coast area before checking here. I apologize. I was just asking if anyone had any updated info. as my cable is not working (for 8 weeks now). I did hear that there are several injuries as well as deaths, and lots of damage. Anybody know anything more?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It knocked out the lights in Santiago, and they have not been steady ever since.
A friend coming from Sto Dgo told me that the highway was blocked in La Vega and all traffic was being routed into one lane.
Our lights have been on and off, on and off...

HB

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Not to hi-jack. From Playa Chiquita/Sosua.

Looking east is a very active storm with constant lightning. I have know idea what it means other then ???

Should be able to see from POP and Caberete.

Regards, Ringo

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
Thanks for those updates. Yes, our lights are off and on, off and on too. But that's nothing compared to the devastation in the other areas. Let's hope it's over.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Our thoughts are with those who have been affected so badly today by this tornado - we had a strong wind then torrential rain for a short while with plenty of thunder and some lightening but nothing worse than that - we have had no electricity since about 4pm though. We are just outside Sabaneta.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
So the La Vega tornado is not as unusual an event as I thought. Thanks, Chiri!

I was in a tornado, but this was probably in the late 70's, just in our campo it happened. it was May 15th , day before the elections, the next day many trees were in the ground broken and twisted off their trunks. It happened around 8pm and it lasted for a good while. Our campo is made up of two large hills and the storm just dropped in between and the tornado was created. We asked the neighboring campos and everyone said they just had some strong rain that night.....it was scary stuff i tell you.....my aunts kept doing some special prayer to divert the wind.

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
Tornado alarms? & SPM hit also

For those who have interests on the South side...SPM had one land too! Shocking to me as I thought we "only" had hurricanes, TSs, tsunamis, etc. We've lived through tornados in the US and NEVER expected one here. In the US there are tornado alarms. Does ANYONE know if there are such things here????

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Have there been other tornados in the DR in the past? I've been associated with the DR since 1986, and can't recall another.
I'm told by Alida they are fairly common. Not the killer ones, but lesser tornados.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
When I told my wife about the La Vega tornado, she was shocked. She claims she doesn't remember any tornadoes in the DR from her childhood. Hurricanes, yes several, violent/windy storms yes several, earthquakes, yes a couple. But not tornadoes. Maybe that's because she grew up a capitale?a (in SD)? However, she had relatives sprinkled around the country and her family always knows what's up with the rest of the family, so if they had had a close brush with a tornado it'd probably be part of family lore. Or maybe it's a more recent phenomenon (as in last 30 years or so)? She did move to the US at college age in the mid-1970s.