**FREE** Artist Festival Thurs April 24, 25, 26

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Just letting everyone know about a......
*FREE* Artist Festival
that starts tomorrow (Thursday April 24th) to Saturday 26 from 10am to 10 pm each day, in downtown PUERTA PLATA!
I was walking downtown Puerta Plata yesterday and saw various artists painting the most beautiful murals on the Old Court House walls, " PALACIO de JUSTICA"!
@ Calle Separacion Esq. Beller
Which is beside Central Park, Old City Hall, The House of Culture and the Cathedral
(When I figure out how to post some pics of the magnificent murals, I will LOL.)

The Artists (Dominican and some international artists) are a Collective of Contemporary Artists called........."ARTE 48

They have an English translator that works with the artist group who is stationed at the site. He gave me program and told me for the 3 day celebration there will be PAINTERS, PERFORMANCES, DANCE, MUSIC, SINGERS, etc. Sounds fun!
And that the old Palacio de Justica will be turned into a large 'public art space' in the future where classes, performances, and other art and culture related activities will take place. What a wonderful idea as an art lover myself and for the city of Puerta Plata!

J

John Evans

thanks for posting this information - sounds very interesting

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Oh I amost forgot to mention I also bumped into another *free* festival that is presently taking place in dowtown Puerta Plata.....Cuban art and music festival.
It started this Monday and runs through till this Friday I was told. Not sure about the hours.
@ DUARTE calle and Padre Castellamos not far from Central Park, a few minutes walking distance actually.
There was a stage set up on the street, and I was told there would be Cuban music performances and a lot of vendors were selling food, books, music, videos, memoribilia, souveniers, etc.
I think it may have a political component...but I am not sure as I am not fluent in Spanish yet and they could not find a program to give me.

Maybe I should make a seperate post for this event.

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Thanks Lambada for those links!
Yes, Arte 48 was scheduled for last week but it was rained out.

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
Great information! Thank you Thandie.
Is the building owned by the gov or is it in private hands?
Who to contact for possible performance art class rooms?

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Hola Reese,

ARTE 48 is presently building their website, that will detail more information.
Talking to the very nice Translator onsight last night, he said that the government has 'turned' it over to the artists to build a public art space.

They are connected to a really great Vermont Artist Group/Organization called....
Vermont Institute on tht Caribbean

They have a lot of great projects and programs that help Dominican kids

So the renovations have not started, because they are waiting on funding.
So hopefully within a year (not island time LOL) things will be moving along.
This is part of the reason why I want to raise awareness so to get the ball rolling. It is a great and so needed idea and addition to Puerta Plata and I am a big fan of the arts and artists...one of my lifes passions!

Yesterday during the day a group of local high school students were interviewing various artist who painted the murals and were taking pictures.
The kids were so eager to learn and were taking notes and pictures.
ARTE 48 gave out flyers to local highschools to promote the free event.
Anything that encourages students to be interested in the Arts and captures their attention so well , is something I am interested in and will support.
We need more of that!

The murals on the old court house look amazing.
I was able to get a website from one of the artists just to give an example of the high calibre of the artists involved. He painted a mural on Ocean World.
DISEÑOS MENDOZA

During the day the ex vice president just happened to be driving by but made his driver stop because he wanted to look at the murals. He came out of his car and was talking to some of the artists. He was obviously very impressed!

After 7pm the musical performances began. A local jazz group performed. Very talented group. I really enjoyed their music.

The street was blocked off and the crowd had a good energy!
Everyone was calm, a mixed group, some children were there...just a really positive vibe all around. Really impressed and will be returning for the Friday and Saturday events.

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
Great opportunity for everyone involved and a lasting impression on the kids that get to watch it happen or even participate. This is certainly a positive atmosphere, a kind of energy I would like to see more often in Puerto Plata. Thanks for the update and keep us posted!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
I attended yesterday and it was another great night.
Good group of people, very mixed, young/old, locals, tourists, families, single people.
They had an interactive art event for the young children in attendance.
The kids were given some paint and paint brushes and some paper to be creative. It was so cute.
Another great jazz band played, including a very famous Dominican jazz drummer (sorry I cant remember his name....but he will be performing tonight too!)
The lights went out about 1/2 hour before it was supposed to end but someone just turned their car lights on and not one person left.
No one wanted to leave.

There is a lot of security police so I felt very safe, especially as a single woman out a night.
The organizer of ARTE 48 mentioned to me that in a bout a week they will have a painting class. Will keep everyone updated.

BTW I was also told that the ex vice president was so impressed by the murals that he has asked the painters to do some murals in his home town.

Wonderful!
Yes Reese I would love to see more of this in Puerta Plata, so lets hope this is the start of something great in the city!

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Good reporting Thandie! :) Thought I'd bump this culture thread with a link to some pics of the murals
Puerto Plata Digital

Doesn't it make a pleasant change to pimps, hookers, sankies, scams, bars, strip clubs, power outtages etc etc :cheeky:

I agree!

Thanks for bringing it alive for those of us not fortunate enough to attend in person. Really enjoyed "viewing" the murals.

And to Thandie too, thanks for sharing your experiences of this event.

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Thanks Lambada for posting the pics...and yes a pleasant change that is so needed!
I will post some of mine soon (when the power cooperates and I figure out how LOL).
Saturday was another fun night. Amazing Jazz band and
purchased a cool ARTE 48 t-shirt, at a great price to support the cause.
Great weather, great crowd, great art, great music and drinks!
Will keep everyone posted in the future about other events by the the group.
For those of you who can go check out the murals in person...truly a site to see!

I have fallen so in love with this city and country....

Status
Not open for further replies.