I still need to make money

SugoyaChan

Nov 30, 2007
Hello guys and nenas, I am at a crossroads in my life right now and need to organize my life within the next 3-4 months. I can either stay in NYC and work like a dog, but not have any kind of living stability...OR I can go to DR, have living stability, and enjoy what the country has to offer. Housing is not an issue because my father has a house en la Zona Colonial. Language is not an issue at all. What I need is a place that can hire me for 3-4 months and allow me to earn at least $1000 USD monthly. The only potential jobs I can think of are English teacher (I am certified, but that may require more months), working at a hotel, but it seems unlikely that they would put me on as soon as they met me. I can rent out 1-2 rooms in my father's house to tourists but that sort of income doesn't seem so stable. I could potentially get hired by a foreign bar or club, which is a job I would love (which one of u foreign owners is willing to hire me). What other options are there. BTW, I don't need that kind of money to live good in DR (I know). Other plans already have their names on that money. Please lend your words/exp. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
two thoughts: First it's illegal for you to work in the country under a tourist visa, so any jobs you find are going to be under the table and no protections from greed or graft (like in not getting paid). Some of the "call centers" hire with the understanding that you will have your Cedula within 6 months, they pay Native English Speakers $120/hour ($4.00/hr) x 8 hour shifts (that's RD28,800/mon or $US 847/mon). I highly doubt you'll ever get $1000/mon legally.

Assuming you are a Dominican Citizen since your family has a house and your father lives in the Zone, you are still faced with the low salaries that are typically paid. One friend I met worked at a large department store, small pay, and typically fired at day 89 of employment. He could reapply in a couple of months but not right away. This way the company (Plaza Lama) didn't have to pay into government coffers, taxes, etc, for a "full time employee".

Good luck

SugoyaChan

Nov 30, 2007
Thanks for your assistance (your detail is what I appreciate most), but since I made this post, I've decided to stay in NYC and just work hard here as an independant contractor, and just go to DR for a month (probably August) just to relax.