Another D.R. Central Bank CD question..

Coupee36

Mar 12, 2008
Hello.. Everyone, first let me introduce myself. My name is SM and I am 23 years of age. I have been browsing around this site for the past few months and have gained lots of knowledge about D.R. and its community. I have to say you people that are active in this forum are helping everyone like myself when it comes to overseas banking.

So here is my Question:
Is it safe to open a CD at the $10k minimum through banco Central de la republica dominicana ??

reason i ask this is because, i have done lots of search in this forum and came across lots of great discussions on this matter, but a lot of the topics are old posts of 3-4 years ago ? I have been saving and i have roughly around $11k saved up, i went on the Banco Central website and seen they still offer a CD of 5-9% monthly interest. Now that sounds really good, but my concern is would it be safe to say i can see the interest being paid for as stated if i were to leave it in for a year ??

my other question is, I am living in the states would it be difficult for me to set everything up from my current residence in the states ? I understand its best for me to open another savings account and have it wired to the banco central account in order to collect the Interest in US dollar currency.

Has anyone done such investment and have great success or still doing this type of investment in that matter ??

Many Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Coupee36

Mar 12, 2008
sorry, but have another question just to make sure its clear to me.

If i were to deposit the minimum $10K into a CD for 90-365 days. I would get a Interest % of 5-9% correct ?? and this is monthly, so thats about 500-900$ interest paid each month, yes ??

thanks again.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
This is annual interest!..."CALCULATIONS BASIS AND INTEREST PAYMENT: Based on 365 days and paid on a monthly basis."

So a 180 day CD pays $RD15,300 on a $RD340,000 investment, that's $RD2,550 monthly.

Central Bank of Dominican Republic

180 days 9%

365 days 11%

18 months 12%

24 months 13%

30 months 15%