Rent Before Buying

Yachtmaster

Jul 2, 2007
www.genesisbvi.com
I have read a lot on this forum about renting property before buying in the Dominican Republic which makes a whole lot of sense. My preferred location is Santo Domingo. In order to have time to look around and get to know an area of the city, would it be a viable option to rent either a house or an apartment on a long term basis and sublet it on short term rentals when I am not there? I would think that temporary visitors to SD might be interested in renting a unit for a week or two or a month or more at a time.

I visit SD four or five times a year and stay anywhere from a week to a month at a time and it has become a real pain to look for and stay in hotels. I would also like to have more personal belongings at my disposal while in Santo Domingo which could be kept locked in storage on or off the premises. It would be great to have a permanent base to work from while looking to buy in the long term. My long term plan is to buy and short term rent out a unit, either a house or an apartment and ultimately, some time in the distant future, live there full time.

Would a unit owner be responsive to a long term renter subletting a property on short term rentals? I would suspect that some apartment or condo associations do not allow it.

Does anyone know of a reputable property manager in Santo Domingo?