American to Charge for 1st bag also

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Won't it affect international travelers that must first take a flight domestically in order to connect to their international flight?

Seems to me this will just encourage everyone to try to bring even more in carry-on, when bins on most flights are already overstuffed...

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Seems to me this will just encourage everyone to try to bring even more in carry-on, when bins on most flights are already overstuffed...

You better believe it. They are charging $100 for the 3rd bag. Baggage Allowance They are going to nickel & dime us. Also, AA announced that they are reducing their fleet of aircrafts and subsequently reducing flights and creating layoffs.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
It doesn't effect international travelers. But bad news nevertheless.

Oh yes, in some sense it does affect international travellers. I recently flew American and connected with an international flight. No way did they want to allow the 2nd bag. I had to pay. And my first bag was 1.2 lbs overweight. They wanted to charge me US$80 for 1.2 lbs. I pulled out a set of shampoo and conditioner, stuck in my other bag and all was fine.

It is not a pleasure flying around in the US currently. If you happen to have a passport that is non-us, you get pulled over and body searched on each leg of each flight - even if you are 7 years old. I do understand a European customer of ours .. he said recently that he does not even fly any aircraft that happens to overfly US airspace any more. Not a cool thing! My ears are still ringing ... The Airport treat Level is Orange! every few minutes ... What does it mean anyways. By the third airport I stopped believing them.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
The Airport treat Level is Orange! every few minutes ... What does it mean anyways. By the third airport I stopped believing them.

That whole "five levels of alert" business was created by a republican right-wing religious fanatic(with a degree from a college whose accreditation is still pending) who felt that the american people are so stupid that they needed the different stages of "alertness"(somewhat aware, aware, concerned, frightened, dead) to be color-coded like the menu at a Baskin-Robbins ice cream parlor.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
I put my two pesos in, and wrote to the Chairman of American Airlines. I suggested that instead of trying to "cover their increased costs" by charging for the first bag, that I, as an American Airlines passenger, would gladly pay $100 a ticket more if they would just eliminate all flight attendants, and that in an emergency situation, I would gladly take care of my own aXX.

I also added that he, in return would receive fewer passenger complaints, and eliminate 1/3 of his labor problems immediately.

(and I am POSITIVE he will listen to my opinion, just as all of you patient folks here do too), jajaja

Just wait, the next time the baggage handlers are negotiating a new union contract with American, they will want more job security and a raise because they are handling fewer bags. Followed by the flight attendants union demanding a raise and fewer hours because flying has become more stressful for them with all of the extra luggage in the passenger compartments, instead of below where they belong. Everyone knows how many carry-ons most dominicans already bring with them, just wait. For me, another reason to fly COPA and avoid the whole issue.

Last edited: