Sushi? Where?

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Where can I get good sushi in both Santo Domingo and Santiago?

Also, in general is it very expensive? I.e. a specialty roll here can range from $16-26, any examples you can give me?

Thanks!

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Sushi Ya! is a good sushi place and rolls cost between RD$125 to RD$225. They are fairly good. Sushi is popular here and not hard to find. Check here Menu.com.do and they will have a restaurant guide.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
sushi ya is also in santiago. I like their sushi. Av metropolitana, in front of Mr. movies.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
tallman send me message next time, I will join you guys there.
AZB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There is also sushi at ZOL on Calle 11, just off of Av. Metropolitana, (corner where Bon and Yogun Fruz is). This is two short blocks before Sushi Ya.

HB

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
If you like california or NYC sushi you may not be very impressed by Sushi Ya or the other Santiago sushi place. I love sushi and do not bother going to either. There is also a chinese restaurant in Santiago which is now serving sushi, but its barely sushi.

I found this post in the past on DR1 about a sushi place in Santo Domingo, I have not tried it out yet:

Aka can be found over on the corner of Lope de Vega and Max Henriquez Ure?a. Tel. 809 338 0999.

This place is world class, and without any doubt the best sushi available here in the capital and probably the whole country. It compares with or excels some of the best places I have eaten in in NYC, and you will not be sorry for dropping a little extra money on the bill and going a la carte. The head chef, Take Yano, is a fantastic guy and knows just how to guide you through the meal. Let him suggest some unusual offerings, you will be very glad you did.
cheking the address posted originaly, I feel it's wrong
Aka
W. Churchill, Plaza New Orleans.
Tel. 809-910-9873

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Thanks everybody!

Adrian - Good info. No, I dont like simple Cali rolls - I rather shashimi or more intricate mixes if anything...

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
In Santo Domingo:

Shihan on Churchill, opposite side of street and a few blocks north of the Acropolis. They have over 100 rolls, some with some very interesting combinations and preparations. They also have a hibachi table or two.

Ive heard good things about Saki and Aka...

Mitre has some good rolls but it's somewhat hit or miss, or at least used to be. Was there a few weeks ago and it was great...although expensive.