Which mail service from the US to LT do you use?

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
Hello!
I need to send a box of bulky items that won't fit in my suitcase when we return to LT later this month-
I've searched the boards and the last posting on this subject is over 6 months old, so please indulge me with new answers to the same old questions!:
1. Which service do you prefer: CPS, "mbe", or Mailboxes Etc?
2. What is the average cost to send, say a 25 pound box from US to LT?
3. What is average length of time to arrive?

Thanks for your help-
Susan

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
addendum to my post!

One more question!

4. Do you send your packages by USPS, DHL or UPS?

Thank you again-

CatherineD

Sep 3, 2006
I believe "mbe" and mail Boxes Etc are the same company. They are affiliated with UPS in the US. I have account with them and have had no problems, but heavy iteams and costly items are a bit expensive(on items over $200 they charge customs). Jeremy Engman is the manager at the LT store and he is very helpful - 809-240-6347 or servicio1@eidominicana.com

I don't know anything about the other company.

Good luck!

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
I believe "mbe" and mail Boxes Etc are the same company.

Well, I obviously missed the super obvious!:cross-eye

Thanks, Catherine-- This is exactly the kind of info I was hoping for!

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
CPS works fine for me and they are at a great location in Las Terrenas

Thanks! I read in an earlier post that CPS is located in the "Centro Colonial building"?? I don't know the town's "landmarks" yet, so I'm going to get out the maps we used when we were there in Feb. and figure out where everything is!
(I do know that our house is located near Playa Popi, just east of town...) :)

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
Plaza Colonial is just as you turn left at the little bridge after you pass the police station.

There is also a little restaurant across from Plaza Colonial called "Mi Amor" where all the English speaking people hang out and it's kind of nice to meet the gang from LT.

Juniper

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
Thanks for those landmarks, Juniper-- Now I've got my bearings!

We definitely want to meet the English-speakers at Mi Amor while in LT this month-
I've been compiling a list of forum posters who appear to live in LT and will send an "invite" to meet there Weds. July 30- the second day we arrive!
(you're definitely on the list!)
Susan:)

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
By plane?

Hi Susan,

If the items would fit in another suitcase, it may be worth it to see how much the airline would charge you to bring it with you.

Could save time, money & hassle of waiting for it to go through customs with UPS or DHL.

Sangria

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
waiting for it to go through customs with UPS or DHL.

Hmmm...hadn't even thought abt customs!
I'm actually wanting to send decorative PILLOWS that I bought to "instantly" decorate the two bedrooms in our new house which is basically unfurnished- I'm using our suitcase weight allowance for books, dishes, and other weightier stuff--
Are you in LT, Sangria? (I'll add you to my "locals list!"

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
no im in canada! booo

will be in puerto plata the 2nd week of august but wont be in the LT area.

i would see about bringing an extra suitcase with the pillows...probably cheaper than shipping and way less hassle.

good luck with everything!

Campesina

Sep 12, 2004
Maybe take the "stuffing" out of the pillows and just bring the covers. You can purchase pillow forms and stuffing here.

carolathompson

Oct 11, 2007
Susan,
Have you considered the bags that you fill and then take the air out of them?
When I packed up my daughter for University, we used these and I tell you, they work great. A pillow is just full of air really and will compress down to almost nothing and fit right in your suitcase. For that matter, use it for all your clothing and such.
Just a thought for you anyway.
Carol

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Can?t really add much to what?s already been said. I too use MBE and have no complaints. I think the excess baggage option is worth exploring. Kelly, the canadian proprietor of Mi Amor is a real nice person, I?m often in there for a Jugo or coffee.

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
thanks for ALL suggestions!

I think you'all have convinced me NOT to ship anything and just bring on the plane--

I won't have time to shop for the correct-sized pillows, Campesina, and I got really good deals at Target and World Market stores-- so, will look into carola..'s great idea abt the bag compressors---

And I'll set up a CPS or MBE acct when we get there-

I?m often in there for a Jugo or coffee.

Okay, Granca...you're going on my LT English-speakers list!

Eremio

May 18, 2004
I have always had an account with Mail Boxes Etc. I receive all my mail from the US and Europe here in Las Terrenas by sending to their office in Miami..they have flights all week that bring down my mail. The store here is so organized and offers the most security and the most professional staff in town. I would never use any other service. Prices aren't bad. You just need to calculate the price per pound to have an idea how much something will cost before you ship it. I would only recommend Mail Boxes for shipping or receiving. They have an email mbe@codetel.net.do and for larger shipments I always contact the manager and he always helps me find the best option to receive everything from my medication to all my orders on amazon. receiving Letters are super cheap sometimes only 30 cents. Packages I have paid as little as US$ 6 to receive things.

Richard Edwards

May 14, 2006
Mailboxes etc.

Mailboxes, etc. is extremely expensive and the owner will beat around the bush to avoid giving you a straight answer (allow an hour of rambling BS for any simple question you ask him,) and you can be sure he will charge you more anyway! He never gives customs receipts, but he sure charges for that and more. I will steer away from him and go CPS!