A little help would be appreciated...

va_freeking_nessa

Feb 20, 2008
Okay - I recently made friends with a lovely Canadian girl online who happens to be travelling on the same date as I am to the hotel next door to me (I am not Canadian by the way). We have arranged to meet up as she is a young lady travelling by herself, & I am around the same age as her but travelling with family, so we thought it would be nice to just have some typical girly time & company on holiday.

When asking her why she was travelling alone, she told me she was going to see her Dominican boyfriend who works at the hotel...immediately, red alarm bells were ringing off in my head. She then began to tell me how she wants to move over & live with him in the future.

I'm guessing she has never visited the DR1 forums then. Cutting straight to my question - should I tell her to watch out? Should I show her this website? I don't know what to do. This is a girl who I've never met before & only spoken to online...we are virtually strangers. We get along very well & have already made plans of where we're meeting in 3 weeks time. I just don't know if it would be the right thing to warn her or to let her find out for herself in future - I don't want her to get offended by a complete stranger ruining her fairytale romance.

Any advice on what I should do?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Okay - I recently made friends with a lovely Canadian girl online who happens to be travelling on the same date as I am to the hotel next door to me (I am not Canadian by the way). We have arranged to meet up as she is a young lady travelling by herself, & I am around the same age as her but travelling with family, so we thought it would be nice to just have some typical girly time & company on holiday.

When asking her why she was travelling alone, she told me she was going to see her Dominican boyfriend who works at the hotel...immediately, red alarm bells were ringing off in my head. She then began to tell me how she wants to move over & live with him in the future.

I'm guessing she has never visited the DR1 forums then. Cutting straight to my question - should I tell her to watch out? Should I show her this website? I don't know what to do. This is a girl who I've never met before & only spoken to online...we are virtually strangers. We get along very well & have already made plans of where we're meeting in 3 weeks time. I just don't know if it would be the right thing to warn her or to let her find out for herself in future - I don't want her to get offended by a complete stranger ruining her fairytale romance.

Any advice on what I should do?
It might not hurt to send her a link to the sanky forum on DR1.
You could mention to her that she seems like a really nice person and that you had heard of some folks getting into big trouble in the DR with their boyfriends, and perhaps she would like to read this, blah blah blah.
You know, doing it in a subtle caring fashion.

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
tell her to look up sankies on this site and leave it at that. most of these girls don't want to see the truth even when you show it to them. just make sure you don't get all caught up in it with her while you are there. I am sure her boyfriend will come up with a friend for you in a hurry.

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
Tell her that you found this great sight online/chat about the DR and she should check it out. It has a lot of great info on it. Then it will be out of your hands.Once you get there you can assess the situation and see what you want to do if she hasn't come to her own conclusion.

va_freeking_nessa

Feb 20, 2008
Thank you for the replies. I think I'll give her the link to the DR1 forums...it's up to her if she wants to make use of the information provided or not. I have a feeling she will be one of those girls who claims her man is "different" though, I can just sense it. But it's up to her, I guess.

Oh & sylindr: I'm in a long term relationship with a man from my own homeland in Portugal, so no need to warn me about getting caught up in a Dominican whirlwind romance :)

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
When she does get your link to this site...

You don't think she may come across this thread and possibly be offended?
SHALENA

va_freeking_nessa

Feb 20, 2008
When she does get your link to this site...

You don't think she may come across this thread and possibly be offended?
SHALENA

Possibly - but what I originally posted isn't intended to be malicious, it's just me showing concern & offering a little insight. Hopefully she'll see it that way, but if she wants to continue with her relationship, then so be it. It's her prerogative, after all :)

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Possibly - but what I originally posted isn't intended to be malicious, it's just me showing concern & offering a little insight. Hopefully she'll see it that way, but if she wants to continue with her relationship, then so be it. It's her prerogative, after all :)
The unfortunate part is that we already know ahead of time that it's a million to one against her stopping in her tracks and deciding she will cut it off, now that she has heard about the sanky syndrome. (Assuming she reads the link you send her)
The most one could hope for is that she recognizes some of the sanky patterns and gets out before all is lost.