Tentative about buying property?Owner lives here in the states? how would that work?

domenico

Jan 4, 2004
There is a house that i am very interested in buying, how would i go about the whole deal if the owner is here in the united states. What means would i have to take in order for me to buy the house from here using a dr lawyer from there.

Jan 5, 2006
I believe that you would both have to give someone in DR power of attorney through one of the Dominican consulates in the US.

domenico

Jan 4, 2004
well that wont happen because i aint gonna give anyone no power of attorney. how can i make a deal with the owner so that i can secure the house so that he takes it off for sale

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
You may be able to work with a lawyer in the DR if they will accept signed and notarized contracts from outside of the DR. I'm sure Lic Guzman would know about this.

Also, it may be more complicated if you are using some type of financing to buy the home.

domenico

Jan 4, 2004
its a straight cash deal, the person has all he papers in order here but i want to make sure from my end everything is ok so i need to know if i ould be better off doing it there

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Use someone like Guzman to prepare the sales contracts and do the necessary due diligence etc. At the end of the day, your going to need to use someone local to do the necessary legal paperwork and make sure the property has clear title, legal etc etc.

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
You still need to use someone in DR to do a check on any money owing. If this search is not done properly you could find out after you ahve paid that there is money owing. You need to travel to the DR and do it personally in my opinion. I own a house, apartment and several pieces of land. All done with an excellent DR lawyer with no problems! could have had a problem on the original apartment as there was $12000 dollars owing which my lawyer found so the deal was stopped!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
No American company would dare to mess up when doing business with US citizens. You would not have the same guarantee with others, and believe me, it was a nightmare !

Steward has a office there in DR...

Stewart Title of Latin America

Contact this person: "Francina Zapata - StewartDR B" <fzapata@stewartdr.com>

Sure, they have an office, and?

Do you think your going to get better service because they are a US based company? Sorry, it doesn't always work like that here in the DR, despite what you might think or assume.

domenico, contact a reputable local lawyer like Guzman and let them know what you need etc. If a law firm has been endorsed by 4-5 people on this board, then you have a pretty good chance it's a good firm. We are very good at weeding out the questionable businesses, that's the beauty of having a huge active network of posters that live and work in the DR.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
company and a local lawyer you don't even know about !

Apart from the many, many posters on this board endorsing Guzman's law firm and the fact that he also provides a ton of free legal advice within the legal forum, then I guess your right.

Stewart Title have a local office, but I have yet to see any of our 42,000+ members posting details about their experiences with them.

harry_p, why don't you post your first hand experience of using Stewart Title, I'm sure it would be useful for all posters here at DR1 and I'm sure on Debbies board as well.

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
U.S. means nothing in DR

That's his choice ! I only give him advise ( and will give other people advices on other DR board such as Debbie's)
Now, Domenico, your choice between a reputable US-based company and a local lawyer you don't even know about !

just because they are resputable in the u.s. does not mean they know anything about the laws etc in the DR. if something goes wrong what makes you think they will be able to fix it or even work through it efficiently??

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Well, I'm sure Domenico has used Steward Title services before as well as many of us in US, and I don't think we ever had problem with their services. Besides, we could bring the issues to Steward's headquarter in US if its local office caused issues (which I don't see how and never heard of).
Now, what recourses does he have if a local lawyer messed up his transaction ? Nada, zitch, nothing, rien....

What makes you think Stewart Title runs the same here as in the USA, especially as you appear to have no experience of "actually" using them in the DR. We're not in Kansas anymore more Toto :)

If he uses Guzman, he has one of the most powerful recourse's available in the DR, DR1. We are read by 1000's of people everyday, we carry quiet a bit of weight...

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
Quote:" if something goes wrong what makes you think they will be able to fix it or even work through it efficiently??"

Simple answer: because Steward needs to protect its reputation, that's why !

Quote:"We are read by 1000's of people everyday, we carry quiet a bit of weight..."

Number of access on a website could substitue for quality of legal works ???? This is a good one, I admit !!!

Well, it's the poster's decision, I guess. You've been warned !
Good luck, my fellow...

The thing you KEEP failing to recognize is that their reputation is int he U.S. NOT the DR where the property and potential problems could be.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Quote:" if something goes wrong what makes you think they will be able to fix it or even work through it efficiently??"

Simple answer: because Steward needs to protect its reputation, that's why !

Quote:"We are read by 1000's of people everyday, we carry quiet a bit of weight..."

Number of access on a website could substitue for quality of legal works ???? This is a good one, I admit !!!

Well, it's the poster's decision, I guess. You've been warned !
Good luck, my fellow...

Why is it that posters that don't live or work in the DR, seem to think it works like the US?

Your not getting it are you.... forget it...

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Now, Domenico, your choice between a reputable US-based company

But it isn't a US based company is it? You're talking about STLA? Stewart Title Latin America? Aren't they independent of Stewart Title US? (A bit like how the banks here which appear to be part of an international chain actually operate independently). They might be very good, I have no idea, but I think you'll find that if they're not, the only assets you can go after through litigation are STLA and not ST. And I would suspect there's a sizeable difference in the assets....................;)

domenico

Jan 4, 2004
well the deal fell thru i had one of my expert friends in construction go take a look at the house and the guy is basically trying to take a steal for it cause it needs a good amount of work on the outside. :/ anyways ill be there in august-october and ill be able to work things out easier