La Romana & Bayahibe

goattoes

May 25, 2007
Hi all,
I am among those looking to come to the DR to retire. I am looking in the Bayahibe area primarily, for a Modest house or apartment to rent. I will be in the country for two weeks beginning in mid-August to do some looking around. Any suggestions for me?
I have contacted real estate agents with mixed results. Some do not respond at all, some have nothing under $1million. So far I have one agent with one apartment to look at in Bayahibe and the rent is somewhat higher that I would like.
Any help is appreciated and please PM if you have specifics of do's or don'ts.
Thanks.

Kaki

Sep 18, 2005
Bayahibe is becoming pretty expensive and great deals are hard to find. For friends of mine working in the area and looking to rent, the prices are about $400 a month. Was what you found in that range? I wouldn't be surprised if that were actually a good deal for what's available and the price is higher now! A tiny but well maintained and well located apartment of a friend pretty close to the main colmado goes for that, as well as one further toward the outskirts but with a tad more space. Those tenants hear the sounds from the Stars Club on the main road to Dominicus at night.

I hear that Mr. Fuller is selling land inland and a distance from the beach for $240 per square meter. What I've seen in apartments for sale go for $160,000 to $180,000.

Please let me know if you end up getting a bargain!

Kaki

goattoes

May 25, 2007
Bayahibe

Kaki,
Thanks so much for the information. The rental I saw on the internet was $650, way too high. Do you have friends in the village now? I desperately need a local contact. Not to worry, I am a (almost) 59 year old retired social worker, female and somewhat overweight. I pose no threat :D. Just wanting to rent for a while in the DR to make sure I adjust, polish up my rusty Spanish, get to the beach to snorkel and mind my own business.
We are currently settling our parents estate and I don't see me making a move until spring at the earliest. But since I have two weeks in the country I would like to get a feel for what is available and what to expect within my price renge. I can walk to Bayahibe from the resort or at least we rode horses there last ime so I assume it isn't too far on foot. May be I should just go and talk to people too.