Okay, Here I Go....A Dominican Man and A U.S. Woman

Jul 21, 2008
Okay, I know that this is going to sound bad and I am ready to be fussed at. I have read alot of the boards before coming to the conclusion that I need some direction. Hopefully, I won't be met with predjudice, racism ,etc. because I am a very sensitive person. I just wanted some insight into my situation. I am a 32 year old light skinned, freckled, Black American woman. I am also very proud of this fact so no zingers thrown at me please. I am well educated and so are my family members. I live in a Chicago Western suburb for anyone who is familiar with the area. The name of the city is Naperville. My husband and I are separating after almost ten years together due to irrecconciable differences. We have 4 children.

I have a Myspace account and one day, I received a blue, sparkly rose sent from a very beautiful (in my opinion) Dominican man of 23 years of age. It simply said," Hello". After a few weeks of not responding, I decided to accept his invite for friendship and sent him a comment of thanks for the flower it is beautiful. Later, I receive a post on one of my pictures that reads

:HOLA CORAZON, ESTA SUPER LINDA WAOOOO Y PARA DARTE ASI COMO ESTA UN BUEN BESOS BIEN ROMANTICO DE FRENTE CARI?O QUE LINDA ESTA PRINCESA WAOOOOOOO SUPER HERMOSA..... .

I translated it through Babel Fish and even had my Puerto Rican and Mexican friend help me out with some of the meaning. Can someone Dominican please tell me exactly what that means?Now, I know he has had to have seen my profile about my age, race, background, marital status, etc. So I wondered, why is he pursuing me? I sort of felt that Dominican men really didn't go for Black women. I mean, why when we look like some of the Dominican women? He could just stick with one of them where there isn't a language barrier. We have been chatting each other up on Yahoo! messenger for hours on end for so far a week so we are new. We use a translating program to understand each other. We go to sleep and start all over again the next day.

We have talked about the fact that I am separated but not divorced yet, that I have children I am not willing to leave because they need me, if my race is okay, I've told him that I am cosmetologist/esthetician and that I am finishing up with beauty school. At first he was not okay with my living arrangements but after my explaining to him and reassuring him how serious I am about getting to know him, he's okay with being with me. I am constantly reassuring him that I intend to do him no harm and that I do care about him. He likes for me to reassure him like every day. He is very expressive and sweet and seems very infatuated with me. I am confused about how far this should go. I have even thought about later taking a little vacation and seeing what he is talking about but I am afraid of your culture after reading so many threads.

I've never left the US, like I said I am a Black woman, who looks a little mixed I think I'm kinda cute at times but I don't know what he sees in me. I called his cellphone so he could hear my voice and he liked it. He dosen't seem eager to try to get here to the US so I feel a little relieved cause it dosen't seem like a visa thing. I just can't help but wonder, what does he want from me or see in me? I am heavily attracted to him as he is very complimentary and appears to be a hard worker (working men are always a plus in my book; it usually means they are responsible). He makes me feel special. I don't know how far this should or will go. Help! I am excited and afraid...I've never done anything like this before.

Last edited by a moderator:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
What does he want from you? Well I have my age on my profile which is 62 and I still get messages from very young guys. What do they want from me? I don't add anyone that I don't already know and ignore messages. I've been on DR1 too long, I know :rolleyes:

If you've never met in person and he found you then he is doing a search specially for the US or Canada for a reason.

Of course he can't be too eager to show you what the reason is because he needs to get to the heart first.

The DR is filled with beautiful women who would love to be with hard working sweet guy so yes ask yourself why was he looking for you?

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Your race has nothing to do with it honey....Dominican men love me and I am Black also. Some may come from families though who are trying to keep their line "clean" (so they say) so they may not approve.
From what I gather, he lives in the DR, right?
This is how I think, and it all depends on who you are...
Keep your emotions in check until you figure out what this guy is really all about.
I know that that is easier said than done because I am a Cancer and a very emotional person. One of my biggest fears in moving to the DR is getting involved with a Sanky.
Just take it slow and see what happens.
By the way, you can PM me anytime...I am also an educated black woman with children (3),
And I have no doubts that I will be involved with a Domincan man very soon, as I do not plan to stay "solita" for the rest of my life!:cheeky:
SHALENA

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Married for TEN YEARS!!!!

Come on now, dont you deserve better?

Do not waste your time over an e-mail.

Life should be a bit more complicated than that. Dont you think so?:rolleyes:

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
These guys spend all their 'santo dia' day in the internet cafes of the DR, especially santo domingo chatting with women from all over the world, trying to find a few sugar mamas, that's all, I get those all the time too but no matter how cute or charming i'm not interested.

HOLA CORAZON, ESTA SUPER LINDA WAOOOO Y PARA DARTE ASI COMO ESTA UN BUEN BESOS BIEN ROMANTICO DE FRENTE CARI?O QUE LINDA ESTA PRINCESA WAOOOOOOO SUPER HERMOSA..... .

my translation: Hello sweeheart, you are very beautiful, wow, and to give you just like that, the way you are, a good kiss, really romantic, honey you are so beautiful princess, wow , super beautiful.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
So he probably isn't chatting with me through his job? He works or he says he works for Sedisa. Some internet company?

he more than likely is but wow how nice that he can search for women while on company time instead of going to the internet cafe. ;)

You'll find we will give you a hard time because we don't want you to be the next victim, that's all.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You would have more luck corresponding with one of the Nigerian scams!!
No matter who, what, where you are, this is phishing..he is looking to hook you, get you down here, drive you insane with sun, sex and passion...
then he will have to be with you and then so will his family his children and all the rest of this.
In a nutshell, you could do better by dialing one of those 1-900 Sex Line numbers....at least you would know what you are getting into...
Or, like I suggested, maybe there is that engineer in Nigeria that handled 42.5 million US Dollars and forgot to get it out of the country....his widow will give you $25 million to help her and she is such a good Christian woman that she couldn't possibly be scamming you....

HB, urging you to bail, dear, bail and fast.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Has it gotten to the point where we have all lost our minds?

Is love and affection so out of reach for some of you that you have to resort to being smitten over the internet by a Dominican shark?

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
I have never received any kind of strange messages on facebook. Only once a friend request from some old ugly looking guy. You know, it is actually possible to block this person, and I think you should do that. Good luck getting rid of him!

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Has it gotten to the point where we have all lost our minds?

Is love and affection so out of reach for some of you that you have to resort to being smitten over the internet by a Dominican shark?

Most be something in the water!

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I know many people use Facebook to network and all that, but I took my profile down for these reasons-

1) Anyone with hundreds and thousands of "friends" cannot seriously be looking for another one to add to the list. It is for them a big joke.

2) Right now I'm pretty local, so I don't need to keep in touch with people from all over the world that I have never met in person. My friends in other countries connect with me just fine via email and the telephone.

3) It was always the same crap from chicas-"Ay papi, tu esta buenissssimmmoooo!!! Muchos besitos!!!!!!!!!" Pretty much the same message they leave everyone.

So as I become more international, I can see it doing me some good.

For now I can live without it.

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
I Have seen the movie "How Stella got her groove back" But i don't think i could ever go through with it!!

The age difference thing, would bother me way too much!! you are so young only 32!! coming up to the prime of your life!! why get serious? you have just ended a 10 year commitment, why not do another 5 year commitment-be young -single-date -have flings without feeling guilty, live a little before you get serious again!!

try being single-you might like it -a lot!!

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
There is quite a story behind that movie.

In real life, this is how it ended-

"It was devastating to discover that a relationship I had publicized to the world as life-affirming and built on mutual love was actually based on deceit,'' she wrote in her declaration. "I was humiliated."

Epilogue for 'Stella' author: a messy divorce

To the OP-We all are either looking for our groove, lost it and are trying to reclaim it, or have found it for the time being and are content.

Ask many questions before making any moves. Sarcasm aside we really CAN help. Many people here have been bitten by what they thought was love in the DR and it turned out to be an illusion.

Some suffer in silence but others are more than happy to share their stories.

For all the bashing we administer, it never really hits you until you meet someone in person who has gone through something as devastating as a long-distance love affair gone wrong. You hear the story, you see the look in their eyes and it can't help but affect you.

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
There is quite a story behind that movie.

In real life, this is how it ended-

"It was devastating to discover that a relationship I had publicized to the world as life-affirming and built on mutual love was actually based on deceit,'' she wrote in her declaration. "I was humiliated."

Epilogue for 'Stella' author: a messy divorce

To the OP-We all are either looking for our groove, lost it and are trying to reclaim it, or have found it for the time being and are content.

Ask many questions before making any moves. Sarcasm aside we really CAN help. Many people here have been bitten by what they thought was love in the DR and it turned out to be an illusion.

Some suffer in silence but others are more than happy to share their stories.

For all the bashing we administer, it never really hits you until you meet someone in person who has gone through something as devastating as a long-distance love affair gone wrong. You hear the story, you see the look in their eyes and it can't help but affect you.

*Note to self*

Stay Single! and have fun!

Thanks for the update on Stella Berzin!!