Travel etiquette and "Loud Ugly Americans"

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
loud-ugly-american.jpg

The original article can be seen here.

I?ll have a lot to say about my specific honeymoon location soon, but suffice it to say that the resort over-promised and under-delivered on just about everything they sold us. So, let?s put that aside for the time being and concentrate on the first of two human sub-species I encountered during my honeymoon in the DR and you are almost guaranteed to encounter on just about any vacation ? the ?Loud Ugly Americans.? Tomorrow?s I will examine the other species you are bound to encounter while traveling ? the ?European Chain-Smokers.?

The reputation of the ?Loud Ugly American? (hereafter LUA) is not a myth, it is a reality. So prevalent is this reality that in 2006 the U.S. State Department partnered with U.S. transnational companies to combat the phenomenon and even issued a few guidelines for the masses of Americans who seem to be culturally tone deaf. The guidelines are common sense to many Americans but, unfortunately, not for tens of millions of others.

My wife and I had several encounters with a large pack of LUAs outside of their natural habitat (the U.S.A.) during our honeymoon in Punta Cana. The first time was in a Mexican theme restaurant during dinner. The pack consisted of approximately 10 LUA adults and another 6-8 LUA cubs. There were probably 15 LUAs in total, but with the noise level and loud garish clothing it seemed more like 50. The adults sat at one large table and consolidated their litters at another. Amazingly, the noise and obnoxious behavior (besides the occasional whining) came primarily from the adult table. There was even one tense moment when the male LUAs commandeered Sombreros and wandered around the dining room saying ?Holaaaaaaaa!? to everyone, assuming they were being festive and not obnoxious or intrusive during other people?s dinners. Being this close to an adult male LUA (in the wild) can be very scary for someone who doesn?t know enough to avoid eye contact and completely forget the English language for a moment. My wife and I are highly-skilled in this area and survived the encounter to blog about it.

The following evening we decided to dine in the Mediterranean themed restaurant. I had hoped that the LUAs would be so thoroughly confused as to what was meant by the term ?Mediterranean? that they would avoid it and instead decide to circle their herd around the all-you-can-eat- buffet where there is always an abundance of more appropriate LUA feed (burgers, fries, pizza, etc.) We settled in at a table next to a very nice couple from Montreal, exchanged pleasantries, and started our meal. Within minutes the same LUA pack had entered our territory and set-up camp. They were slightly more subdued than the night before and the only murmurs I heard coming from the ?cub table? was that ?this place doesn?t have any good food.? They ate anyway but didn?t stay long as I imagine they made at least one more trip to the all-you-can-eat buffet for some ?real food? before returning to their caves. A collective sense of relief could be felt as the last LUA exited the restaurant and the door was closed and locked behind him ? we had survived again.

If you Google ?loud ugly Americans? you?ll retrieve lots of tips and guidelines for ignorant Americans to follow when traveling abroad, including the Top Ten things Americans Tourists Should Not Do by Isabella Snow. It?s both amazing and sad that people need to be told these things. Unfortunately, I could not find similar guidelines or tips for tomorrow?s topic ? the ?European Chain-Smoker.? So, out of the kindness of my heart and in an effort to foster international understanding and good-will, I?ve created some tips for them and will post them tomorrow.

Comments and criticism are always welcome.

RHM
himplus6.jpg

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
Right on !! But you left out the PYOOTWATBG tourist type. See if you can figure this one out. I have encountered many of these creatures over the last 13 yrs at resorts in the DR.

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
Hit the nail on the head!!

This was hilarious and I have had the same encounter in Mexico.....way tooooo funny! (well not really if you are stuck beside them)

RGVgal

Bronze
May 26, 2008
This was hilarious and I have had the same encounter in Mexico.....way tooooo funny! (well not really if you are stuck beside them)

I had the same experience in Mexico also. I have the pics of the LUAs shirtless, with mullets and koozies in hand . LUA should not be allowed to hold a passport.

But, some of the Dominican yorks at the AIs are worst than the LUA in the DR. They are loud and obnoxious and hit the buffet like they've never seen food before. I always think there is a fight about to break out but it's just the mom yelling at the kids.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
I suggest you avoid me at all cost. I am the King of the LUA's. I wear shorts around Santiago all day. Constantly yell " How are you baby " from the LUA bar on Pedro Clisante is Sosua and crashed every car i have ever rented in the DR. If one day i do decide to sire a few cubs i will raise them to be the most obnoxious LUA's as possible.

caipiranha

Feb 15, 2008
Right on !! But you left out the PYOOTWATBG tourist type. See if you can figure this one out.

Please help me - what?s a PYOOTWATBG?

Unfortunately you can make this experience all over the world. Here in Europe you meet the LUG (G=German), LUB (B=British). At Turkey and at Punta Cana there?re the LUR (R=Russian) and LUI (I=Italian,U=not for the women, their dresses are beautiful), too. And did you already meet some Australian tourists on Bali (Indonesia)??? Or enjoyed your holidays in a French beachclub? Or with Canadians on Samana?

Always badly drunk, shouting around, taking food like animals, badly dressed, sex in the public - I think that?s not a national problem - that?s the problem, well-educated people have when they are confronted with a group of primitive people without any behaviour - worldwide!!!

The Dominicans, spending their weekends at the resorts, for me are very normal - according to their education, customs and their temperaments (and they?ve got lots of it). They have a huge party on their weekends, sometimes very noisy and sometimes very drunk, that?s right, but I?ve never seen a Dominican behaving like a pig (as some people from other nations did).

And the European-chain-smoker??? For me it?s a prejudice as well. Around 70% here in Europe don?t smoke - statistics say.

So it?s always a roulette-game which group of people you meet.

Saludos
(Sorry for my bad English)

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
The Dominican York invasion on the weekends at some A1s is as spectacular.

LOL and I stay out of the AIs on weekends trying to avoid the natives :paranoid:

btw: why do most tourist wear those ugly hawaiian shirts? please stop!!!

Last edited:

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
Ohhhh, those loud , flamboyant shirts!! what kills me is the socks with sandals? like really wt...?

Nevermind, during one of our AI stays...we had a group of cowboys!! wearing their boots in the sand!!

i was like:ermm:

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Thats' nothing. With these type of tourists all you have to do is move to another location if they bother you.

You guys haven't lived(and come close to death) if you haven't gotten caught in the middle of a confrontation between soccer goons from rival countries.

I did in Kiev. I fought as best as I could, but wound up getting tossed over a bridge. Luckily the drop wasn't that bad.

Once they fought their opponents off, these guys began throwing EVERYONE over. And it was their team that won!!!:cheeky:

*Note to anyone yearning for this type of excitement-Doc Martens boots hurt like hell when vigorously introduced into the backside. Even if they happen to be cheap knockoffs.:surprised

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
you forgot the smelly adjective (i resemble that one after a few hours in the tropical heat):paranoid:

Caz

May 15, 2004
RHM, Charlielyn - PYOOTWATBG

My guess is - Push You Out Of The Way At The Ball Game!

Could be the makings of a good contest to guess the answer!!

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
Ok, Charlielyn.

I give up.

What is a PYOOTWATBG?

Keep it clean. This is a family forum.:cheeky:

RHM

Push You Out Of The Way At The Buffet German.

I have many Canadian/German friends that I like very much, but when Germans and I have been in the same resorts in the DR this what I have experienced. They just shove in front of you. They don't even say excuse me in German.

Princesa777

Apr 13, 2008
hahahaha, this post is hilarious! Cant wait to read the one about european chain smokers :) Which is probably already on this forum, since this post is kinda old, so im gonna look for that one now