Bringing a PC to the DR???

Cdncpl

Oct 31, 2007
I am wondering what the implications are for bringing a full size PC into the DR. I have read somewhere that they can be heavily taxed or even confiscated....Does anyone have any experience with this that they could share....Many Thanks! PS...I will be arriving air only, with a returm ticket....

Escalada

Aug 24, 2008
give the customs guy $20 and he will let you by - don't bring it in in a new looking box.

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
give the customs guy $20 and he will let you by

Does this really work? What if you get an "honest" customs guy? :)

We want to bring a DVD player and small flat screen tv in our luggage when we return... If they're not in boxes, can't we just say they're for our personal use and not for re-sale? Or do they charge duty on ALL electronics?
Gracias!

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
great-- We'll buy our toaster oven when we get there, but bring the TV/DVD with us (and have a $20 bill ready if necessary!:)
Thanks!

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I brought my PC in my suitcase when I came from New York last December, I just told the guy from customs that I brought my "used" PC. (It was brand new, I just bought the pieces and installed everything in the case). Nothing of brand new boxes, that will trigger a gathering of like 5 customs agents "Juan ven a ver esto" "Llama a Pedro pa' que declaren este equipo" all orchestrated for you to give them money.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
great-- We'll buy our toaster oven when we get there, but bring the TV/DVD with us (and have a $20 bill ready if necessary!:)
Thanks!

Twenty is too much, there are usually two guys working together. $5 each is normal.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Years ago I brought a audio receiver with me. I didn't want to give them anything and they made me pay $42 bucks. The following trip I brought down a DVD player. Gave them $10 bucks and no problem.

Theforceinme

Oct 19, 2007
www.facebook.com
I brought my PC in my suitcase when I came from New York last December, I just told the guy from customs that I brought my "used" PC. (It was brand new, I just bought the pieces and installed everything in the case). Nothing of brand new boxes, that will trigger a gathering of like 5 customs agents "Juan ven a ver esto" "Llama a Pedro pa' que declaren este equipo" all orchestrated for you to give them money.

I respectfully disagree!!

Why does the dishonest customs agent have to be called Juan? You got something against me Mr. R?

To stay on the subject a bit though: I would suggest just trying to pass it through. Just tell them it's a personal PC, not for resale, not a gift.

They should let it go at that. Everyone can bring in a laptop without paying, right? This is just... a big laptop.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
Tv

To go back to the flat screen TV - if it is not in a box and one says it is used - in our case that is true it is a year old - should there be a problem bringing it in?

AnonTraveler

Aug 6, 2008
What is an "honest customs guy"? I haven't ever seen one in this country. Are they painted a different color or something? ;-)

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
To go back to the flat screen TV - if it is not in a box and one says it is used - in our case that is true it is a year old - should there be a problem bringing it in?

I brought in a small (15") flat screen tv, which they looked at but let go as it was clearly also a computer monitor...

Same situation happened to a friend who brought in a 19" flat screen tv, he said it was used, but didnt mention it was a computer monitor...he spent over an hour negotiating...getting the aduanas down to 5000 or so pesos from over 9000...for a *used* tv that cost about $300 new...

both instances were over two years ago, customs does seem a little more "lax" these days at POP...

But...I believe that is the criteria...computer monitor is ok, a flat screen tv is not...used or otherwise...