where is "adios"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you know, american movies, maybe western, heavily mustached mexicans waving their sombreros at john wayne: "adios, amigo..."
and then we have real life with "bye bye" (or extended version of "bye bye, lady" of all motoconchistas used both to greet and bid farewell. and to express their interest)
where is "adios"? has it disappeared completely? from DR only? or from latin/south america as well? when? why? what happened?

S

sokitoumi

adios is probably too final ...like you would never see someone again

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
you know, american movies, maybe western, heavily mustached mexicans waving their sombreros at john wayne: "adios, amigo..."
and then we have real life with "bye bye" (or extended version of "bye bye, lady" of all motoconchistas used both to greet and bid farewell. and to express their interest)
where is "adios"? has it disappeared completely? from DR only? or from latin/south america as well? when? why? what happened?
Gone out of fashion, it would appear.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007

If you subscribe to Sky Satellite you can still find some old "dusties" on Saturday complete with horses that run full out for twenty five miles and six shooters with 29 bullets.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
If you subscribe to Sky Satellite you can still find some old "dusties" on Saturday complete with horses that run full out for twenty five miles and six shooters with 29 bullets.
He's not asking where the movies are gone.
He's asking why people don't use the word anymore.
Adios was even quite common when I moved here but very rarely heard from Dominicans, nowadays.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
He's not asking where the movies are gone.
He's asking why people don't use the word anymore.
Adios was even quite common when I moved here but very rarely heard from Dominicans, nowadays.

Oh , come to think of it you are right and the one person who said this was not Dominican.

And thanks for the Notary, Guido took care of it.

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006

So funny and true.....

Good point - where has Adios gone? To word heaven, apparently.
I seem to hear "nos vamos" and "ahorita" a lot now instead of the normal goodbyes. Word fashion I suppose.............. :cheeky:

Rio

british bulldog

Jan 21, 2006
Gracias,is also a word that appears to have gone,i have been told its a sign of weakness to say it,most dominicans do not expect to hear it anymore.when i say it there is no responce back ,they look at you gone out, ,so i dont say it anymore myself,how sads that ,i ve lost my maners here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

S

sokitoumi

when was the last time you said goodbye to someone...it was probably bye , see ya, laters , ciao,missing you already or maybe even tattybye lol

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Terms I've heard are, hasta luego, cuidate, ciao but spelled chow.

Ok keep going what other terms have replaced "adios" especially in the DR

S

sokitoumi

chaufa: saludo de despedida ? saying goodbye in a quick manner- when you have to leave quickly.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
exactly, but never "adios".
i accept changes in language but i am quite interested as to when did "adios" disappear and why such poor replacement? (sorry to all english speaking people but "bye" is not exactly a beautiful word). and is it the same in other spanish speaking countries? i watch CNN espanol sometimes and even there i never hear "adios". they all say "buenas tardes", "buenas noches" and so on...

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
exactly, but never "adios".
i accept changes in language but i am quite interested as to when did "adios" disappear and why such poor replacement? (sorry to all english speaking people but "bye" is not exactly a beautiful word). and is it the same in other spanish speaking countries? i watch CNN espanol sometimes and even there i never hear "adios". they all say "buenas tardes", "buenas noches" and so on...
Maybe it was never used as much as we thought, considering that our source of info was those old Western movies.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Wait I had a thought, ( doesn't happen much) maybe it was the only word they could teach those gringos actors that was easy to say,easy to remember but most of all it became sort of a universal word that everyone could understand. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.