Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Little black flying creatures

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Little black flying creatures

Ok, so its just rained so much here in Sosua and im sat by the window with my porch light on. As the rain slows and stops, i look up and see about a thousand little black flying creatures around the light. They are thin and quite long.....so they look nothing like mosquitos. Next thing you know, they are appearing in my apartment!!!!! Loads of them and im spraying them and they die, but then their wings come off and now theres dead bodies and wings everywhere. And my fan is on so they are blowing around.

So just a quick question.....what the hell are they? And how do you stop them?

Please tell me these are normal and my apartment isnt infested with these nasty things!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I do forget the Dominican name for them but they come this time of year. By the zillions. They come, fly around, die, drop off their wings and that's it. No other problems.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AnonTraveler View Post
    I do forget the Dominican name for them but they come this time of year. By the zillions. They come, fly around, die, drop off their wings and that's it. No other problems.
    They are female termites looking for mates

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Termites???????

They are driving me crazy! You think you kill them all and sweep them up and then more appear. Nearly started crying when i saw them all....but that could be the hormones!

They appear to be attracted to light....is that right?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eralc777 View Post
    Termites???????

They are driving me crazy! You think you kill them all and sweep them up and then more appear. Nearly started crying when i saw them all....but that could be the hormones!

They appear to be attracted to light....is that right?
    Not certain if that is the case but I think you are probably correct. We had them here in Cabarete 2 nights ago. Wings all over the place. Same thing happens with ants, females flying around at certain times of the year looking to mate.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Too bad Rocky has retired, I am sure he would have fun with the comments about females flying around looking for a mate and then dropping their wings.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Why waste the spray, they die within seconds when exposed to light. It must be they die when they realize the male termites are no where to be found. Yes Sousa has trillions of them and have for the last several months. When I heard they where females, I was just happy they don't bite!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Just turn your lights off while they are in flight (and hope your neighbor leaves theirs on). Certain weather conditions cause entire colonies to take flight. They don't live long and they don't bite.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

We've got them down here in StoDo too, or at least down here on the Mirador Sur. They usually appear just before rain, when it's very humid and do congregate in their hundreds around a light. In the mornings I sometimes have a whole "carpet" of their wings outside on the patio.

When the creatures themselves get too much for me I find the vacuum cleaner very handy.....

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

They fly toward lights in their attempt to get outside. After flying, they shed their wings and are ready to mate and begin new colonies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast