Bachateros in LA area/People who really know the history of Bachata

NikkeS

Jul 24, 2008
Hi All,

At my school, they are putting on a night where we basically showcase latino culture. As those of you in LA know, not many people know anything, if at all, of Dominican culture. I want to try and put something on about bachata, its history & its roots - show people that there is more to bachata than just Aventura.

So, I'm asking if anyone here know some dominican bachata groups out here, or someone who KNOWS bachata, knows part of its history and would be willing to help me out with this. Please send me a PM if you think you could help me out in anyway to get this going, and create something interesting - I could also give you more details about the event if you are sincerely interested in being a part of this.

The event is scheduled for September 17th. It seems short notice, but school just started this week for us, so we have started planning as soon as we can. The reason the date was chosen is because September 16th is usually the date that we kick off Latino Heritage month on our campus (which is Mexican Independence Day).

soremeku@usc.edu

Thanks for any help.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
I wish I had gotten to this post earlier. How did it turn out?

Me too! tell us how it went. I have the DVD of "Santo Domingo Blues" SOme amazing footage of some of the more obscure bacheteros....as well as the famous ones.

It is a great DVD and I believe you can still find it on Ebay.

NikkeS

Jul 24, 2008
unfortunately, i couldn't find a group to come out. we basically didn't have anything on dominican culture at the event. i met some more dominicans in the process of trying to find bachateros which was cool...but sad that i didn't get to bring some more dominican culture to usc campus...

BUT, what i am planning to do is have a film series on latino music, or more specifically Caribbean cultures. i already have the documentary Santo Domingo Blues & Buena Vista Social Club, and i think i might try to do it during the month of february (for independence day)...so far i'm still just coming up with ideas...but i definitely want to show that movie...and i feel the only reason i couldn't get bachateros was because it was so last minute! (i did come close!)...so hopefully, i'll have a bigger and better event next semester!