Barrio Ensanchez Libertad ?

tilinmarte

Aug 29, 2007
(Santiago) Is anyone familiar with this barrio is it like cienfuegos, Las colinas, los jaridnes ? is it better is it worse I would like some opinions on it if anyone knows it well .Thank you

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Ensanche Libertad is on the Northwest side of Santiago. It is old as barrios go. It was started during Trujillo's time and was originally made up of small wooden houses.

It has changed a lot.

It now has the GUG club a major basketball power, but not much else.

It borders Envases Antillananos, a can factory, and major employer and is not far from the Zona Franca.

It also borders Las Colinas, a middle class development of single family houses.

Los Jardines is now pretty much an upper level development or upper middle...it was the first place that 20 year mortgages were available.

So Ensanche Libertad is below Las Colinas, way below Los Jardines, and above Cienfuegos by a good bit.

HB

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Ensanchez Libertad is close to Monterrico, which is just before Cienfuego.

I would rate it fairly safe, a little more safer then Cienfuego.
I have many friends there also and have not had any problems.
In four years, no incidences, usually there about everyday.

Again, I do not travel (prowl) around in Santiago at night.

Prior to my getting a car about 4 years ago, I walked almost every section of Santiago, with no problems (Went through a few pairs of shoes). And I do mean walked all over the city. Complete circle, and along all the major roads and through many barrios. Even to PriceSmart. I also rode every OMSA bus from one end to the other end of every route they have. (To get to learn the city more)

I am a gringo (Rubio?), spotted as an Americano a block away, no problems.
It's all in your attitude, use common sense and you should be fine.

;) I didn't always have the Uzi! ;) Just joking! ;)

Map of the area (My map is from 1991)
I made the map a link, as it is too wide to post directly in this reply.

Ensanchez Libertad

n6qu0.gif

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
There is no 'z' on the end of the word 'ensanche', which means neighbourhood.

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
Chirimoya I had my call center on la Avenidad Estrella Sadhala(forget the spelling) For 1.5 yr.. no problem with any of my agents and we closed down the operations nat 11pm...
I grew up in LAs Colinas so Hb is right .. El bario is not like cienfugos.. and has a pretty good business community.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
There is no 'z' on the end of the word 'ensanche', which means neighbourhood.

;) Sorry Officer! ;)

Just quoting from the original OP.

Monterrico as spelled on the map is not how I have seen it there!
So who is right and who is wrong. :confused:

I will leave that up to the Grammar Police to investigate, as they seem to have plenty of time to patrol the World Wide Web looking for "Grammar :bandit: Bandits."

Time out for a smoke... :smoke: Opsss, watch out for the "Smoking Bandits".

PS:
In case the "Grammar Police" have a light case load, here?s a violator they can go after,
the City of Santiago......
30b1pj6.jpg

n6qu0.gif

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Almost like some of those famous photographs, you know, SOTP? or the one that runs the white line over some road kill???

Great photo Don...

HB