Recent Colllege Graduate

bendundat

Sep 16, 2008
I recently graduated with a Bachelors of Arts in Marketing
What opportunites are their for a young professional with proficencies in Exel, Powerpoint and the like?
Does a American collegiate degree carry more or the same weight as a Dominican one?
Given my educational background are there any areas that I would be qualified for that I am unaware of?
My primary language is English and I am learning Spanish.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Bendundat, welcome to DR1. What the posters are trying to tell you is that a college degree without practical work experience combined with limited Spanish will not get you very far. There are jobs for English speakers in sectors like teaching and call centres which you could explore, but without practical experience you will be at a disadvantage.

FYI: AI = All-Inclusive hotel/resort. Animaci?n refers to the entertainment staff who like most people in the tourism sector earn very low wages but the more 'enterprising' ones enjoy certain perks ;)

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I seriously hope you used spell-check on your CV, your grammar and spelling is atrocious my friend.

tambo'

Mar 2, 2008
But a spell-checker would not have caught "their" for "there". That is something that the writer needs to watch out for.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I recently graduated with a Bachelors of Arts in Marketing
What opportunites are their for a young professional with proficencies in Exel, Powerpoint and the like?
Does a American collegiate degree carry more or the same weight as a Dominican one?
Given my educational background are there any areas that I would be qualified for that I am unaware of?
My primary language is English and I am learning Spanish.
Welcome to DR1 bendundat.
Be prepared for a lot of hard talking responses to your enquiry as many here speak with experience & generally a rough tongue! A LOT of the information these posts contain IS RELEVANT though & you need to sift through the humour, sarcasm & what appears to be overly rude responses, to see the real gems of information these posts contain.

You have a few things hindering your search here though:
1. you are 'PROFESSIONAL' - not something employers are used to here!!:cheeky:
2. you are 'YOUNG' - (nearly EVERYONE is YOUNG to me these days!!) and this will give the impression of inexperience/ability.
3. Marketing is NOT a strong point in Dominican business. Trying to put over new ideas will be a hard, uphill battle unless you know how to overcome Dominican Hurdles ........ something that will be new to you for the next few years I suggest!!
4. Your lack of experience in DOMINICAN CULTURE would make your initial life here (at your tender years) a very arduous one for you & may cause you to 'Return Home' all too soon before realising your true potential here.

May I suggest a LONG TERM PLAN?

Get yourself a job in your home country & set yourself a goal of coming to the DR in 5 years time. Have LOTS of holidays here making contacts (the heart & soul of doing business here), learning the culture AND the true Spanish that is spoken here. Also save like crazy because you will need money behind you if/when you move!!

Enjoy the challenge & enjoy your time on DR1 ~ Grahame.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com

May I suggest a LONG TERM PLAN?

Get yourself a job in your home country & set yourself a goal of coming to the DR in 5 years time. Have LOTS of holidays here making contacts (the heart & soul of doing business here), learning the culture AND the true Spanish that is spoken here. Also save like crazy because you will need money behind you if/when you move!!

Enjoy the challenge & enjoy your time on DR1 ~ Grahame.

Very well put, as always excellent advise.
I think that if the DR or Latin America is attractive to you, you could well try to work yourself into a company in your home country which works with or for a Latin American company(ies). This will give you experience and teach you to slowly blend in the Latin way of business and maybe even offer you a switch over into the DR directly with a contract and a real salary down the line.

... J-D.

Mar 2, 2008
bendundat,

Bushbaby and J.D. both give you very good advice, served with their usual elegance and grace.

I particularly liked J.D.'s idea. It seems like a very logical way to get to where you want to be, but not one utilized by many, that I know of.

If you want something take the extra time and effort it takes to do it right. You'll end up getting what you really want, and you will appreciate it more.

bendundat

Sep 16, 2008
Thanks folks, I appreciate all of your comments.
I have been enamored with the beauty of the country and the people of the dominican republic for quite sometime.
I was able to visit for the first time last October and met a young lady and after a few months of coorespondence was able to return and have a "authentic" experience( sans the tourists).
I am in no way trying to allow myself to be expoited or taken advantage of in the manner that so many of the people in this forum have been alluded to(sending moneyfor erroneous medical emergencies and the like).
I have become really displeased with the american lifestyle and it's accompaning ideologies and want to try something different.

Mar 2, 2008
There usually is a love interest, otherwise it wouldn't be interesting.

However, don't make that the deciding factor for your move, and understand that the DR has its own issues that, once you have a more realistic view of the country, might make the US look like Utopia. Well maybe not Utopia, but at least a little better than it might appear to you right now.

The bottom line is, "look before you leap", and when you do leap make sure you are prepared for the landing.

Many of us think it is well worth the effort, but there are times when even the most enthusiastic expat might consider a return flight.