Visa information for living in the DR?

mari99

Sep 16, 2008
Hi all,

I'm a U.S. citizen planning to relocate to the Santo Domingo area for six months, possibly longer, in the coming year.
I've scoured the web and although I've found lists of documents needed to apply for the various different kinds of visas, I've not yet been able to find information as to which visa is most appropriate for a traveler's particular circumstances. I'm sure it's out there somewhere! Does anyone know where I could find that kind of info?

Thanks so much,
Marissa

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
For a 6-month stay it is not worth getting residency. Come in on a tourist card (US$10 on entry) and pay the overstay fee when you leave, which is peanuts.

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
I agree on coming in on a Toursit Visa but you should renew it every time the visa expires. Only because it is easier here you should not overstay on purpose .... you do that in the USA and they won't let you in anymore for 10 years.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I agree on coming in on a Toursit Visa but you should renew it every time the visa expires. Only because it is easier here you should not overstay on purpose .... you do that in the USA and they won't let you in anymore for 10 years.

This is not the USA, there is no need to do anything but enjoy your stay and pay about $5 or $10 when you leave. NO ONE is denied entry for overstaying a tourist Visa.

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
You are right on that, but is that a reason not to follow rules?

Nothing to do with Mari99 but there are just to many here living and working without any papers, a domincan does this in europe or in the US and he is considered almost a criminal.

Telling somebody just to overstay don't seem to be the correct advise in my point of view that's all.

Wish Immigration law would be harder here, this would help cleaning the island and only fair to the dominicans.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004

Nothing to do with Mari99 but there are just to many here living and working without any papers, a domincan does this in europe or in the US and he is considered almost a criminal.

Telling somebody just to overstay don't seem to be the correct advise in my point of view that's all.

Wish Immigration law would be harder here, this would help cleaning the island and only fair to the dominicans.

Pal, do yourself a favor and stay in the US, this way you can obey all the rules over there. Again, this is not the US or Europe, you can stay as long as you like LEGALLY.

mari99

Sep 16, 2008
Thanks all, though I think I still need a little more info...
I'll be telecommuting for my job here in the U.S. so won't need to find work locally, but a friend of mine may be joining me and she would have to find a job there. Would she need to apply for residency in order to work legally? Would I be able to buy a car on a tourist visa? It's my understanding that my U.S. driver's license would only be valid as long as my tourist visa was valid and I hadn't overstayed, but is there a time limit?

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
the driver license is just as long valid as your turist visa.
if you overdo your turist visa, which is really no big deal like others wrote above, in that case you would drive a car without a valid license, so in case of any accident no insurance would need to cover for a thing.
in case of working legally, for such you would need the residency.
there are still many minor jobs out there where nobody asks about your cedula or such, yes, but you asked about legally working here, for that you need the residency.
i have a bunch of riends from all pver the globe working here as representatives for touroperators, some are here since a very long time, even with wife and kids, several do not have any residency, and always when we disuss such i call them stupid.
first of all, the simple thingy with the non existent drivers license.
they all drive companies cars, so minor touches are anyways fixed by the rental car services where their company rents a whole fleet of cars, they don?t care.
but one day a bigger accident may happen, and to be the one who is declared illegal involved in such may face big costs or more just for not spending $700.- to make a residency and some more pesos to get a dominican drivers license.
such is easy and completely hassle free, so why not to do such.
any trouble with anybody and you are not legally in the country? if i would be your counter part i would just get my opponent taken by immigrations and all is resolved.
of course we also have like all not 1st world countries a lot of low lifes out there on the streets, for such i would agree with the above poster that i wish to see some laws specially like immigrations more followed and the island cleaned up.
the ones which are not wanted (or WANTED, lol) in their homecountries are no help or positive for the island neither, send them back.
just my 2cents
Mike

Massielg

Apr 30, 2008
www.casasdevacacionesrd.blogspot.com
Agree

Im totally agree with you, dominicans out of the contry cant do anything... but people from all around the world come here and do whatever they want, in general, not everybody, but in general..

I dont think is correct that if everybody broke the rules you should do the same....

Thats why we are like we are..

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Im totally agree with you, dominicans out of the contry cant do anything... but people from all around the world come here and do whatever they want, in general, not everybody, but in general..

I dont think is correct that if everybody broke the rules you should do the same....

Thats why we are like we are..

Maybe you should become a citizen of the DR, run for office , and change the laws here?

Mar 2, 2008
SKY is absolutely correct.

Each country sets their own rules and regulations, and each individual country makes those rules to fit their own particular needs. The DR made their rules to fit the DR, not the US. The DR does not care if tourists overstay their visa. In fact. the DR wants them to overstay, that's why the law is so lenient. The longer tourists stay, the more they spend. The $300 peso fee (about $10 US) you pay when leaving is purposefully low for that reason.

Those of you who want everyone to adhere to the rules of the US, despite the fact they are not IN the US, are basically deluded or ignorant, or both. They simply do not understand that the Dominican economy needs and depends on tourist dollars. The DR has developed their own rules regarding tourist visas accordingly That is the reason why those rules are so lenient and tourist friendly.

If the OP wants to keep searching for a visa that is more appropriate for them, go right ahead. But you are wasting your time and energy for absolutely no reason except to satisfy your somewhat twisted compulsion to be "American" in a culture that is decidedly not "American".

May I suggest, however, that if you persist with that mindset throughout your six months of touring the DR, you will more than likely drive yourself completely crazy.

Mar 2, 2008
Oh, come on Sky, I agree with you more than you might know. Sometimes it's just not worth it throwing my two cents in.

Anyway, for the most part, when I do disagree with you, it's not what you say so much, but the way you say it.

But regardless, when you're right you're right, and I'll be the first one to back you up, and in this case, you're right.

When I think you're mistaken, I'll state my opinion, but it's never anything personal. I hope you know that. It's just about sharing ideas.

You SOB! Just Kidding

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
Tourist vs. Re-locating

SKY is absolutely correct.

Each country sets their own rules and regulations, and each individual country makes those rules to fit their own particular needs. The DR made their rules to fit the DR, not the US. The DR does not care if tourists overstay their visa. In fact. the DR wants them to overstay, that's why the law is so lenient. The longer tourists stay, the more they spend. The $300 peso fee (about $10 US) you pay when leaving is purposefully low for that reason.

Those of you who want everyone to adhere to the rules of the US, despite the fact they are not IN the US, are basically deluded or ignorant, or both. They simply do not understand that the Dominican economy needs and depends on tourist dollars. The DR has developed their own rules regarding tourist visas accordingly That is the reason why those rules are so lenient and tourist friendly.

If the OP wants to keep searching for a visa that is more appropriate for them, go right ahead. But you are wasting your time and energy for absolutely no reason except to satisfy your somewhat twisted compulsion to be "American" in a culture that is decidedly not "American".

May I suggest, however, that if you persist with that mindset throughout your six months of touring the DR, you will more than likely drive yourself completely crazy.

First of all you might want to read the OP's post again, it was asked about re-locating (working, living, etc.) not overstaying a week or so on a tourist visa, so your comment is absolutly wrong.

The DR might want the tourist to stay longerto spend some more money here but not the useless people who just stay illegal here and on top of it taking jobs away from dominicans.

It is sad to advise people on this board to just come and stay forever, if illegal or legal doesn't matter.

As catcherintherye says, this is to share ideas so I don't appreciate if you get personal when you don't even know where I'm from or what I do. According to your reaction I assume that you are just a long time overstayer too, but I would not point at you.....

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
For 6 mo.

First of all you might want to read the OP's post again, it was asked about re-locating (working, living, etc.) not overstaying a week or so on a tourist visa, so your comment is absolutly wrong.

The DR might want the tourist to stay longerto spend some more money here but not the useless people who just stay illegal here and on top of it taking jobs away from dominicans.

It is sad to advise people on this board to just come and stay forever, if illegal or legal doesn't matter.

As catcherintherye says, this is to share ideas so I don't appreciate if you get personal when you don't even know where I'm from or what I do. According to your reaction I assume that you are just a long time overstayer too, but I would not point at you.....

The first part of this indicated that the op was relocating an working here for a period of only 6 mo. The op could start working on getting residency but no way it would be completed prior to the 6mo ending. plus the cost of what 1000+.for something they may never use again. If they are doing any communting then the tourist card would be renewed everytime they entered. this might help the problem with the ins. and car rental, Cant get a license without a cedula, and no cedula with out residency or at least in the works.

Want to be legal on the tourist card short trips to haiti,

Mar 2, 2008
"According to your reaction I assume that you are just a long time overstayer too,"
Webmacon

Actually, to set the record straight, I have a residency visa and a cedula. But that is entirely beside the point.

You can assume whatever you want, but it certainly does not make what you are saying any the more valid.

First, I didn't advise anyone to stay forever. I merely suggested that staying for six months was not out of the ordinary, and people who do so are only required to pay a small fee when they leave.

Second, the issue of a six month stay was covered very well by Bienamor. Six months is not long enough to receive a residency visa, so that is not an option. Also, I doubt a tourist staying for six month is a serious contender for taking any Dominican's job.

Third, I did not "get personal" with you in any way. In fact, I wasn't even addressing you at all in my post. You must have somewhat of an inflated ego if you interpreted my comments as being personally directed toward you.

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
Should read all before answering!

Pal, do yourself a favor and stay in the US, this way you can obey all the rules over there. Again, this is not the US or Europe, you can stay as long as you like LEGALLY.

If this was not directed to me then I don't know to whom.

I quote the OP: "I'm a U.S. citizen planning to relocate to the Santo Domingo area for six months, possibly longer, in the coming year."

Possible longer in the coming year means possible longer to me ... residency takes with a good lawyer 4 month, then there is the option of work permit ... ever heard of it?

Of course you can not re-locate and have evevrything ready the next day, but if somebody is getting it for a job the the employeer will get a work permit for that person and if somebody is planning of staying possible longer next year then he/she should use this six month of getting the papers straight and then stay and work as much as he/she wants.

Mar 2, 2008
Webmacon,
If you have an issue with what someone else posted then you should address it with them, don't you think.

I will stand by what I posted.

It seems by your latest post you are concerned that the OP might go through the process of legally getting a visa. I don't see any problem with that.

I think the OP might not be sure of the length of time he will be staying, so is weighing his options accordingly. One option is to stay for a while on his tourist visa, and if he decides to stay, to get ihis residency. Still no problem, that I can see.

I'm not sure what you are so concerned about. Are you are concerned that someone might be interested in taking your job?

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
Not worried and nice people are always welcome here.

Hi catcherintherye.

No no I'm not worried about my Job and I personally welcome new people from all over the world if they choose the right way and maybe even bring something to the country and not just come for the sun and beach and take little jobs from dominican away.

I think we agree on that right?

Anyway, is just a discussion and nothing personal for me.

Have a nice day.

Webmacon,
If you have an issue with what someone else posted then you should address it with them, don't you think.

I will stand by what I posted.

It seems by your latest post you are concerned that the OP might go through the process of legally getting a visa. I don't see any problem with that.

I think the OP might not be sure of the length of time he will be staying, so is weighing his options accordingly. One option is to stay for a while on his tourist visa, and if he decides to stay, to get ihis residency. Still no problem, that I can see.

I'm not sure what you are so concerned about. Are you are concerned that someone might be interested in taking your job?