Commercial Landlord-Tenant Regulation

mark21

Feb 12, 2008
Commercial landlord-tenant regulations

I would like to porches and run commercial plaza in DR.
I hear it is very difficult to evict tenant witch do not pay rent.
Security deposit complication
Also, if I would like to build new plaza in the place of the old one, I would have to 'pay off' all of the existing businesses-even with expired lease.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Commercial landlord-tenant regulations

I would like to porches and run commercial plaza in DR.
I hear it is very difficult to evict tenant witch do not pay rent.
Security deposit complication
Also, if I would like to build new plaza in the place of the old one, I would have to 'pay off' all of the existing businesses-even with expired lease.

You may want to ask the moderators to move this to the Legal Forum as the legal differences or lack thereof between commercial and residential leases has been discussed and also commented to by the Attorney Guzman who posts here regularly.
From what I was surprised to understand from these posts (and you can search that Forum), yes, lessees of commercial property are protected under the same laws which protects tenants of residential homes and apartments. This again and as always, is not a legal statement from my part.
However, from what I seem to observe around the country, in practice the problem seems to be a lesser one with commercial property than with residential. Businesses open pop up and go constantly. Even in big "plazas" and malls. I have never seen a tenant of a commercial property trying to hang on to a commercial premises once their business seems non-profitable... But then I don't see it all. In most cases they seem just glad to be able to get out of the lease and maybe get part or all of the deposit back. A living situation is different, really, as people understandably like to hang on to their home, even if they can't afford it anymore.
On the other hand, leaseholders with a profitable business they indeed wish to keep running at a particular location would seem ill advised not to pay their rent more or less on time as it would seem very easy for the landlord to make doing business very difficult (power cuts, constant "working" around the entry etc come to mind).

The law being what ever it may be, when it comes to commercial leases, I seem to have read on here more about tenants claiming to have been abused by landlords. But maybe that could also be because the majority of posters may rather be lessees than lessors of commercial property.

... J-D.

Pavlov

Sep 4, 2009
Pardon if this is a threadjack, but where does one find a commercial real estate agent down there?

My friend has been looking for a small boutique to sell some of her stuff near Boca Chica, no luck as of yet. She looked around in Sosua last year, same result. Any suggestions?