Cost of Divorce in the DR

creativeliza

Sep 30, 2004
www.creativeliza.com
I'm an American in the process of getting ready to divorce a Dominican (no sanky comments please) and I've heard different price ranges so I'm really confused on what to expect for cost. Does anyone know, for example, the cost of an amicable divorce with all the fees/court costs? I've been quoted up to RD 80,000 which seems high.

boca chica dave

Sep 25, 2004
I'm an American in the process of getting ready to divorce a Dominican (no sanky comments please) and I've heard different price ranges so I'm really confused on what to expect for cost. Does anyone know, for example, the cost of an amicable divorce with all the fees/court costs? I've been quoted up to RD 80,000 which seems high.

suggest you find out if the marriage was ever recorded. hopefully you have a friend in the area where the marriage took place. do you have a cert?. was it signed by a civil offical? did you see him enter it in his journal? was your cert. ever recorded with the proper officals? i would'nt stress yourself about this too much. until you can answer yes to all the above.

Vintage

Aug 26, 2008
i know this is off topic but i would like to know why you have decided to divorce?
would you care to share?
if not not worry thanks

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002

creativeliza

Sep 30, 2004
www.creativeliza.com
suggest you find out if the marriage was ever recorded. hopefully you have a friend in the area where the marriage took place. do you have a cert?. was it signed by a civil offical? did you see him enter it in his journal? was your cert. ever recorded with the proper officals? i would'nt stress yourself about this too much. until you can answer yes to all the above.

I have had these documents examined by a lawyer so i think everything was legal. it is just that this particular lawyer has quoted me what i thought was high for an amicable divorce but maybe not.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Well assuming you speak Spanish, it can cost much less I believe. Send a pm to lajackael to find out how much he paid to his lawyer. Charles, "lajackael" doesn't speak Spanish but had a mutual friend do the translating, I even chipped in a little too, but am not willing to do that again, sorry.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
An amicable divorce - highest price I have seen is 1,500 US. So 80,000 RD is out of line.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
The cost of the divore will depend on the degree of difficulty for example do you own property , do you have children together etc. A simple non -contested divorce should certainly cost less than $2000

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
An amicable divorce where no goods have to be divided up will cost you RD15k.

An amicable divorce where there is the division of goods will run you around RD40k.

These are Dominican prices that my lawyer will give you, but you will need to speak Spanish of course. If you want the contact info let me know.

This same lawyer also worked on a divorce for another DR1'er recently.