waves at coson?

kribenza

Jan 2, 2007
i did not get a good walk down the beach at coson. i had some fun and all but did not get a chance to walk the beach where it meets bonita. it was in march. the waves looked really nice as a woman my friend teaches yoga to told me the place had big waves. i hope to go back soon. i know bonita has nice waves that can be fun to bodysurf. i am asking if coson is known for waves.

thanks in advance.;)

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Absolutely

i did not get a good walk down the beach at coson. i had some fun and all but did not get a chance to walk the beach where it meets bonita. it was in march. the waves looked really nice as a woman my friend teaches yoga to told me the place had big waves. i hope to go back soon. i know bonita has nice waves that can be fun to bodysurf. i am asking if coson is known for waves.

thanks in advance.;)

Yup.. it is the prime surfers beach.. it also has a really strong undertow and can get a rip tide going so be very careful there, it is not a beach like the others, as it is not protected by a reef. there has been more than one death there...

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Playa Bonita has the best surf, mostly from December until March...

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
Mountainannie is right. There has been several drownings in the Coson beach area. That's probably why it has not really taken off as a good place
for surfing.

Juniper

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
SORRY, BUT I MUST INTERJECT HERE:

I lived right on the Playa Coson for two years. Yes there are at times perfect waves (never lgr) but perfect for surfing. and Yes, Sadly I was in the vicinity when two young girls drowned one day. Turns out they were from the capital and had never learned to swim. & again Yes, at times mostly in the winter at that end of Coson there are very strong rip currents/tides due to the fact that the coast line turns into sheer rock cliffs that extend west towards the new airport El Caty.

I am sure that both Mountain Annie & Juniper have spent many wounderfull days at the Playa Coson and would say that it is one of the most beautifull beaches in the area ( you both may correct me if i am wrong), But in defence of the Playa Coson, the majority of the time and all the beach that extends from the Dos Rios east towards Punta Bonita is one of the safest and most pleasurable places to swim and enjoy the beaches of the peninsula.

When you have the chance, come & enjoy and be safe.

lt

Last edited:

wulfruny

Feb 18, 2008
I've been to Playa Coson maybe 20 times and on one occasion I was swimming not very far out (around where Restaurante Luis used to be) and suddenly found I was out of my depth, and had to work REALLY hard to get back in - even though it was only a few metres to the beach. Only 20 metres or so along the beach there were people further out than me standing waist deep.

I've spent whole afternoons wave jumping the beautiful waves at Coson, but after that incident I'm now very cautious.

ninapup

Sep 16, 2004
I've been to Playa Coson maybe 20 times and on one occasion I was swimming not very far out (around where Restaurante Luis used to be) and suddenly found I was out of my depth, and had to work REALLY hard to get back in - even though it was only a few metres to the beach. Only 20 metres or so along the beach there were people further out than me standing waist deep.

I've spent whole afternoons wave jumping the beautiful waves at Coson, but after that incident I'm now very cautious.

Ditto,
The same thing happened to my husband last March in front of the new Luis location. It was terrifying. We have played in the waves there for many years and have never had any trouble but this incident was a warning to at least be cautious and aware. We will certainly swim there again, it is beautiful.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
But in defence of the Playa Coson, the majority of the time and all the beach that extends from the Dos Rios east towards Punta Bonita is one of the safest and most pleasurable places to swim and enjoy the beaches of the peninsula.
I agree 100% ! (been swimming there since 1997 !)

jeroentas

Feb 7, 2006
I regularly kitesurf and surf in the area west of Dos Rios. As with every beach with large waves there can be current and undertow. I have not seen any situation that an experienced swimmer cannot handle. In front of Luis is a great kitesurfing spot. I am usually the only one out there.

caipiranha

Feb 15, 2008
As with every beach with large waves there can be current and undertow. I have not seen any situation that an experienced swimmer cannot handle. In front of Luis is a great kitesurfing spot. I am usually the only one out there.

As a kitesurfer you won?t have any problem. But as a swimmer? I was a surfer and so I?m an experienced swimmer, and all over the years never had problems at Cozon. But one day in December 2007, when I was swimming near the Viva Wyndham - the waves weren?t high at all - I was drawn out rapidly and really had a hard fight to reach the beach again.

So, as a swimmer - be careful at some parts of Cozon!

Saludos

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
I regularly kitesurf and surf in the area west of Dos Rios. As with every beach with large waves there can be current and undertow. I have not seen any situation that an experienced swimmer cannot handle. In front of Luis is a great kitesurfing spot. I am usually the only one out there.

I loved the coson, unfortunately there was no wind when we were there. Luis, is that the place where the small river comes out to the ocean? How is the wind there? Are u a local? Would love if u PM me when the wind is good, then u have some kite friends from Cabarete. :)