sad he forgot her birthday

Sadams

Feb 23, 2007
My friend is married to a Dominician man for 1 year and 7 months, he lives in Santo Domingo and she in the USA. 2 weeks ago was her birthday and he did not even remember it. I guess this is the case, because he never wished her a Happy Birthday! She is so upset that he would not remember this. Now she is thinking he must not love her.......... is this the case? Or do they not think this is important and maybe not celebrate as we do, here in the states?

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
He must have forgotten as birthdays ARE celebrated here as far as I know.
SHALENA

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Probably not his day to go to Western Union to get his money. Maybe he was "busy" securing the money forhis mother's operation...or topay for his "university" ....

I am sure he adores them, I mean, her....

Sheeesh

HB

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003
My friend is married to a Dominician man for 1 year and 7 months, he lives in Santo Domingo and she in the USA. 2 weeks ago was her birthday and he did not even remember it. I guess this is the case, because he never wished her a Happy Birthday! She is so upset that he would not remember this. Now she is thinking he must not love her.......... is this the case? Or do they not think this is important and maybe not celebrate as we do, here in the states?
I don't think that there are to many cultures that don't celebrate a loved ones birthday..maybe she should get rid of him before the next one..and give herself a present.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Men never remember birthdays unless they are reminded - that is true all over the world!! I start to talk about mine at least a month before just to make sure it is remembered then I am not disappointed.

yess

Jun 1, 2008
people forget birthdays, that in and of itself means nothing although it is disappointing

sometimes we need to teach our partners about what is important to us and what is expected of them - and we need to reward them for their efforts

(spoken like the dog trainer I am)

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I bet he remember's HIS marriage anniversary day:cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
Men never remember birthdays unless they are reminded - that is true all over the world!! I start to talk about mine at least a month before just to make sure it is remembered then I am not disappointed.

I agree. Not a Dominican thing, a man thing.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
many guys don't remember this kind of stuff. I never know anyone's birthdays. Birthdays, aniversaries and other days are all created by women to get gifts. Show me a celebrated day when women don't get something as gifts? the only day a man gets a free dinner is father's day.Thats about it.
AZB

cdngirl08

Aug 19, 2008
Yep...it's a man thing for sure. The lady in question should just let it roll off her back and not over analyze it. People forget things...it happens...he's human...give the guy a break already.:)

My parents have been married 38 years. My father doesn't remember anyone's birthday except his own! LMAO About a month before his birthday he'll start putting out the hints as to what he wants to receive for his big day. Speaking of which...his b-day is about 3 weeks away. He hasn't called yet...don't tell me he has forgotten his own b-day for once...no chance of that! lol

shellygirl327

Jun 18, 2004
I don't know if this helps, but I have met countless Dominicans who don't even know when their birthday is and others that have told me that the birth date on their cedulas are not even their correct birth dates. I know people here are saying that they are celebrated here in DR like other places, but I have met many that don't. Some people have told me that in poorer families birthdays are generally not celebrated and gifts are not given due to the families lack of $$ and then it is not a big deal to them. I have also met many Jehovah Witnesses here as well that do not acknowledge birthdays.

But I do agree that sometimes, men need to be gently reminded of some things beforehand. Especially if they do not live together maybe he just forgot.

carolathompson

Oct 11, 2007
When I was there last, it was one of our friends birthday, and I went in search of a birthday card. I found it very odd, that I could find almost every other card, but not a Birthday card. I asked around, and was told by many, that Birthdays are not a big thing over there, as far as celebration.

I bet he doesn't forget his Dominican wifes birthday or his other Dominican girlfriends birthdays.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Birthdays are a big thing, but people hardly ever give cards. You can buy them in some places, but it is not part of the local tradition. Oral culture and all that.

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
The Dominicans that I know in Puerto Plata (poor in barrio) make a big deal out of everyone's birthdays. Cake, singing, etc. both for the young and the older family members. I think that he does not think that much about her or he would at least call to say Happy Birthday. I'm afraid that she did not choose a good one or she needs to train him about her feelings. It doesn't cost anything to say Happy Birthday to someone you love. I bet she gets him presents on his birthday and if she forgot he would make her life hard.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
my husband forgot my birthday once a few years ago.

at first i was a little upset but he needs a reminder for his parents birthdays or he would forget that too.

he has only forgotten once & is usally more excited for my birthday than i am.

im pretty sure it is just a guy thing!

May 31, 2005
I agree that birthdays are important in Dom. Rep. I also agree that sometimes men don't remember that sort of thing unless we are constantly reminding them.

Feb 7, 2007
Shame on me I have to admit, I don't remeber birthdays too. I even forget the exact date of my parents' and sister's birthdays, I just remember month. The only birthday I remember beside mine is my bro's as he was born on an easy day - 02/02. So don't shoot your man... :) he most likely innocently forgot.

Sadams

Feb 23, 2007
forgotten BD

I bet he doesn't forget his Dominican wifes birthday or his other Dominican girlfriends birthdays.

Oh my G don't say that. That would be enough to put her over the edge! She is still convinced, even today he is not true or he would have never forgot. I told her to tell him "it's no problem" my other boyfriends in the States didn't forget! LOL!