Travel Adapter UK to DR

benlilley

Sep 22, 2008
Hello everyone.

Does anyone know where i can find a travel adapter in Las Terrenas to use a UK plug here?

Or does anyone have one that they are willing to sell me (for a good price) because they are off home soon or something like that.

Many many thanks.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Hello everyone.

Does anyone know where i can find a travel adapter in Las Terrenas to use a UK plug here?

Or does anyone have one that they are willing to sell me (for a good price) because they are off home soon or something like that.

Many many thanks.
Using Parliamentary parlance:
"May I refer the Honourable Gentleman/Lady to the answers given on the previous question he/she posed on this forum - http://www.dr1.com/forums/santo-domingo/79992-uk-dominican-plug-adapter.html#post680169."
:ermm:
"Has the Hon. Gentleman/Lady followed through the suggestions given on that thread &/or can He/she give answers to the intended helpful questions?" Some of us here just HATE having to repeat ourselves ESPECIALLY when we are repeating ourselves to the same person!
:ermm::ermm::ermm:
WHAT appliance are you trying to run & is it designed purely for 240 v use??
Will the item be used on a 220 v or 110 v circuit? (makes a difference as to which plug type you have to use!!) ~ Grahame.

benlilley

Sep 22, 2008
Thank you for your reply.

As you may notice my last post was place in the Santo Domingo group (unfortunately i was unsuccessful there in my quest), I have now changed location and am living in Las Terrenas for 3 months.

I am wishing to use the adapter for charging a camera and a phone - a standard travel adapter is all i need, not any special voltage converter.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Here is an e-bay link showing 5 pages of items you have asked about. Give them a view for what YOU want & then see if anyone from the UK coming out here would be prepared to bring you one or two. They are small & not heavy!!

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38.l1313&_nkw=UK+-+USA+travel+adapter

Argos do them too
Argos - www.argos.co.uk

(Ain't Google a wonderful thing???) I seem to recall that Boots, W.H. Smiths & general electrical stores like Tandy .............. also do them.

If you prefer to order from the US (maybe slightly cheaper but you will have to add postage from US to Dominican Republic via reliable courier) then just Google or search on www.ebay.com for them.

This might be a quicker option than trying to find one in Santo Domingo or Santiago!! ~ Grahame

Last edited:

WebDev

Jan 1, 2002
samana.net
Hello everyone.

Many many thanks.

Try one of the computers stores in Las Terrenas, ask Thomas from Compulandia 809.240.6510 or Martin from Servi-PC 809.240.6156 they might have one adapter.

Good luck
WebDev

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Thank you for your reply.

As you may notice my last post was place in the Santo Domingo group (unfortunately i was unsuccessful there in my quest), I have now changed location and am living in Las Terrenas for 3 months.

I am wishing to use the adapter for charging a camera and a phone - a standard travel adapter is all i need, not any special voltage converter.

I did pm the Honorable Gentleman and offer to GIVE him one of mine if he wanted to make the trip from Santo Domingo to Juan Dolio.

Obviously too far.

Matilda

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
If Voltage transfer Up or down is not required then personally I would just cut off the UK 3 pin & connect a local plug (keeping the UK plug for when I returned to the UK of course!:cheeky:!).

2 or 3 pin local plug available at ANY hardware or electrical store = 20 pesos (maybe less) & 5 minutes of my time!! Q.E. D. ~ Grahame.

benlilley

Sep 22, 2008
Thank you all for your help. I now have one ordered from the internet (just hope the post is okay here).

I was very grateful for the ladies offer to give me an adapter, unfortunatly with only 4 days free from Spanish clasess in Santo Domingo I was not able to spend half a day travelling to pick it up.

This is not the end of my adapter hunt :D
Thank you all for your patience (although i do sense a little attitude in this thread for a site that is suppose to offer help).

Thanks again.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Just a couple of 'follow up' points for you benlilley which I trust will be helpful

1. I HOPE the 'post' you are referring to relates to EPS, FedEx, Business mail or similar PRIVATE postal service rather than the National Postal System! The latter MAY cause you a few sleepless nights.

2. Keep Metro Bus service & Caribe Tours in mind when needing to get a package from point 'a' to point 'b' in this country. I find MetroPak & Caribe Tours very useful when wanting to get documents & goods to friends throughout the country. I am sure the 'Lady' who made the offer to you would have taken the adapter to her local bus station & sent it to the one nearest to you - just a thought for the future.

3. Just to clear up what might be a misconception in your mind - DR1 contributors are not 'SUPPOSED' to offer help. They are not OBLIGED to respond with helpful information - they do so because they WANT to or they LIKE being helpful. There are some 20,000 plus 'members' on DR1 & around 18,000 never post let alone offer help on ANY subject. Generally any 'attitude' that appears on a thread is a result of the information/advice giver feeling that the information given is being ignored or rejected out of hand. A quick response to say 'Thanks, I'll follow that through' or 'comments noted & helpful - thanks' would reduce greatly the possibility of 'attitude' getting in to a thread!

Thank you for your feedback & I hope all goes well with your POST. If it doesn't arrive in 4 weeks, you might find it necessary to order another one & ask DR1 members coming from the States (or England) if they would mind bringing one down/over for you. ~ Grahame.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
If you want GB to RD adaptor I can lend you one for a couple of months but watch it DR plugs for 110v and 220v are different. Most phone and camera chargers are multi voltage, chargers will work on either voltage. I live in LT but you will have to contact me by email as my cellphone is in a very fringe area. rrtj@uklinux.net. ciao for now.

benlilley

Sep 22, 2008
thank you very much for the offer but i have now got hold of one and all is well :p

thank you all for your help and patience

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Garcia & Marcel Ferreteria , Calle Principal LT sell adaptor plugs for both GB and European continent .