construction advice?--- Chip

tilinmarte

Aug 29, 2007
I'm not sure if im posting it on the right section . I was looking at some construction search options and it seems CHIP know a little about building. So if chip can answer that would be great or anyone for the matter.

I have been trying to get a rough estimate on building a 2nd level on my house in Santiago I posted some pictures about what i am considering on here. The house has a 3br and a small bedroom facing the street which can
can be converted to a small business as it was before. But for the 2nd floor
it will be 3br and 2 bt since there will be no garage I can make the bd room and living room and kitchen much bigger.

I have a couple more pictures if anyone is interested in seeing them. Its become a little more complicated than I thought since i'm not down there to (micro)manage the project . My budget is limited . I know the they will build only the shell which is what i want for now with a sloped roof.

The roof is flat and ready for 2nd floor although someone said that it needs reinforcing or elevation to make foundation stronger he said the blocks are not the thin onesnot the regular ones . Either 6in-needs 8in or 10in needs 12in something like that.

Thanks for you help my fellow compatriates!!!!
rob

ImageShack - Hosting :: dr1housebg5.jpg
ImageShack - Hosting :: dr1house2fh6.jpg
http://img519.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dr1house3hu2.jpg

tilinmarte

Aug 29, 2007
I'm not sure if im posting it on the right section . I was looking at some construction search options and it seems CHIP know a little about building. So if chip can answer that would be great or anyone for the matter.

I have been trying to get a rough estimate on building a 2nd level on my house in Santiago I posted some pictures about what i am considering on here. The house has a 3br and a small bedroom facing the street which can
can be converted to a small business as it was before. But for the 2nd floor
it will be 3br and 2 bt since there will be no garage I can make the bd room and living room and kitchen much bigger.

I have a couple more pictures if anyone is interested in seeing them. Its become a little more complicated than I thought since i'm not down there to (micro)manage the project . My budget is limited . I know the they will build only the shell which is what i want for now with a sloped roof.

The roof is flat and ready for 2nd floor although someone said that it needs reinforcing or elevation to make foundation stronger he said the blocks are not the thin onesnot the regular ones . Either 6in-needs 8in or 10in needs 12in something like that.

Thanks for you help my fellow compatriates!!!!
rob
my.php

ImageShack - Hosting :: dr1housebg5.jpg
ImageShack - Hosting :: dr1house2fh6.jpg
ImageShack - Hosting :: dr1house3hu2.jpg[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
tilnmarte

I can put you in contact with my friend Anjito who can give you an estimate. I'll send you a pm.

chip

tilinmarte

Aug 29, 2007
hillbilly : can you translate that to square footage more or less

and is that 17k in $US or pesos .

150 m2 = 1500sf let me know if my math is correct
150 x 17,000= $2,500,000
2,500,000 / 35(dollar rate)=$us75,000

$75,000 for a second level that sounds like a lot but mybe i'm calculating wrong .

I believe the house is approximate between 1500-1800 sf

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
hillbilly : can you translate that to square footage more or less

and is that 17k in $US or pesos .
Forgive my EXPLOSION but ................ You have to be joshing with us!!:surprised!!
The answer I gave has been deleted by me because it has already been supplied by more educated people than me!! ~ Grahame.

Last edited:

tilinmarte

Aug 29, 2007
1 sm = 10.76 sf

So then what ur saying that my math is more or less ccorrect
2nd level would cost approximate $us75000.

This what I don't understand my cousin built a house close to the Gallera close to Hache builindg(estrella Sahalda) and he did this for approximate $us15000 3br 1 bath house how in the world did he do it .I haven't spoke to him in a while although it took him like five years to build it. Not the best house but is cement block.

Anyone with opinions are welcome

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
So then what ur saying that my math is more or less correct
2nd level would cost approximate $us75000.

This what I don't understand my cousin built a house close to the Gallera close to Hache building(estrella Sahalda) and he did this for approximate $us15000 3br 1 bath house how in the world did he do it .I haven't spoke to him in a while although it took him like five years to build it. Not the best house but is cement block.

Anyone with opinions are welcome

My friend Anjito will gladly give you an estimate with the cost itemized by items, installation(labor) and his profit at the end.

All I ask is that if you don't use him to give him a nominal tip for his troubles as he has to go to the various ferreterias as necessary to get the exact prices. This will be included in the estimate of course.