Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bringing a laptop from UK to DR?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bringing a laptop from UK to DR?

Hi

Has anybody brought along a laptop from the UK to the DR, and if so, did it work okay? I'm thinking about purchasing a laptop in the UK, but don't know whether I'm going to run into any problems with it working okay.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tish View Post
    Hi

Has anybody brought along a laptop from the UK to the DR, and if so, did it work okay? I'm thinking about purchasing a laptop in the UK, but don't know whether I'm going to run into any problems with it working okay.

Thanks
    Being a Laptop you will doubtless be working via a tranformer/charger I presume?

Make sure the transformer/charger will work off 110v rather than the 240v system of the UK. You would be advised to purchase a three pin (UK style) to two or three pin (US style) adapter. Try & get a power surge/spike protector too if you value a long term relationship with your laptop!! ~ Grahame.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

What I was asking was regarding the output/electricity, as the UK use 220 and the DR 110. I wanted to know how a UK laptop would work in the DR.

Thanks

T

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tish View Post
    What I was asking was regarding the output/electricity, as the UK use 220 and the DR 110. I wanted to know how a UK laptop would work in the DR.

Thanks

T
    Then Bushbaby gave you the right info.

Good luck!!!!!!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BushBaby View Post
    Being a Laptop you will doubtless be working via a tranformer/charger I presume?

Make sure the transformer/charger will work off 110v rather than the 240v system of the UK. You would be advised to purchase a three pin (UK style) to two or three pin (US style) adapter. Try & get a power surge/spike protector too if you value a long term relationship with your laptop!! ~ Grahame.
    I'll research the possibility of a 110v transformer - thanks. However, I'd probably need to buy the power surge protector in the DR wouldn't I, as the plugs will be different? Unless it's possible to buy a protector that provides a UK style to US style plug thingy.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

hi tish
    i use 2 laptops from the uk, had no problems, i dont use a transformer, would advise you buy a power surge protector in the DR, and a coupe of 3 pin plug converters from the pound shop in the uk !!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I already brought a laptop here from the UK, no problems, I agree with all the above just double check that the transformer that came with the laptop is multi voltage. It should be written on its label.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Virtually all transformers (power charges) that come with the laptops sold in North America are dual 110/220V. I would assume the same applies to laptops sold in Europe.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by granca View Post
    I already brought a laptop here from the UK, no problems, I agree with all the above just double check that the transformer that came with the laptop is multi voltage. It should be written on its label.
    Do you think, like Rubio Higuey mentioned, that all laptops come with a transformer? It sounds like I would need to check either way to be sure. We have an inversole in our house in the DR, will it still be necessary to buy a surge protector?

What make was your laptop, just out of interest.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast