Company Creation Service...feedback

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
Has anyone had any experience with the following companies?

Express Companies
expresscompaniesdr.com

Company 24H
Company24H / Companias en 24 Horas - Inicio

Interested in starting a new company in the DR and each of these businesses offer this service. We are weighing between a lawyer or these services but would like to get feedback if anyone has had personal experience.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
i made my company with a lawyer, been completely hassle free.
myself i had during that process nothing else to do than to sign the needed papers during the process.
to constitute a new S.A. run's actually for around 25.000.- pesos, that's a bit over 700.- US, and you can be sure to have the right thing and in your own name.
i would take a reputable lawyer, i.e. the Guzman lawfirm which contributes here on the bord.
those offers of getting a new company in a short time period/24 hrs or such, i don't know, i just don't trust that much in such.
to get a company signed over in your name within just a few days means that company been existent, you buy a existing company, so who knows what papers been signed prior to the purchase in the name of that company for which you will be resonsible from the purchase on? and you would depend also on the share holders who signed for the constitution of that company, such would all be persons who you do not know in person.
i can not tell bad experience about such 24H companies selling agencies, i just do not trust such.
constituting a new company in your name, named the way you like it named, takes usually less than 4 months when done the proper way.
i would not recommend to do it yourself unless you are perfect in spanish, but with a reputable lawyer such is no big act.
Mike

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
The only things you can get in 24 hours or less in the DR is drunk, laid, married, pregnant, etc.

For government paperwork and the like, they will charge you within 24 hours sure, and pomise you anything to make you pay but they will invariably deliver at their leisure.

I waited many months to get my companies set up, I've set up 4 with as many lawyers.

Be patient, thats the only way.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
MrMike,
to set up a company the proper way takes several months,
most of that time passes by for the regulation that your wished company name needs to be published for 3 months so others could complain that you use a too similar name or such.
Mike

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
Your opinions are much appreciated. We were leaning to get a lawyer but the only thing that sparked my interest was the pricing. Both of these services are around US$1,000 less than a lawyer so I thought that savings constituted getting some testimonials if possible.

Going with a reputable lawyer is a sure bet and although these companies are substantially cheaper, they could be more of a headache in the long run. I'll do a little more investigating before making the decision, especially if I can't find anyone who has actually used one of these services.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
$1.000.- cheaper???
now we are talking very different rates.
my own company which i am running now, under it's actual name aso, been constituted a bit less than 5 years ago, i paid at all, including the lawyers fee(i use that lady since many years even before she did that company job for me) 15.000.- pesos.
even that i can not name a 100% accurate rate for today, it sure should not exceed $1.000.- total, for all, including the lawyer's fee.
so here for sure a 1K$$$ difference could not occure.
Mike

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
Actually, the companies I posted about are around that price that you mentioned of RD$15,000. I called some of the major Law Firms in Santo Domingo and the price seemed to be around US$1,500.

So, maybe this brings me to the next question. Any reputable lawyer suggestions that have a lower rate?

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
You cannot talk about incorporation fees without taking into account what the authorized capital of the corporation is going to be since expenses vary depending on the amount of authorized capital.

To compare fees you should ask for a quote based on a set authorized capital: for example, 100,000 or 1,000,000 pesos.

Feb 7, 2007
MrMike,
to set up a company the proper way takes several months,
most of that time passes by for the regulation that your wished company name needs to be published for 3 months so others could complain that you use a too similar name or such.
Mike

Right now, you can get certificate of name from ONAPI in 3 business days, from application start to receiving the certificate. You can do this process online at ONAPI: Portada or via Cuenta de Usuario You don't need a lawyer or anybody for it, the form is extremely easy, and you just need a credit card too pay the fees. If you do it via crea tu empresa website, ONAPI takes care even for publishing your name as required by law.

The most time is spent on the step between Name certificate and Registro mercantil, this is where all the papers have to be prepared, signed, notarzied, etc. Once completed, Registro Mercantil is a 1-business day thing. Then you can apply for RNC on DGII's website, 3 business days maximum to get it that way.

So, you CAN do it in less than 2 weeks, and even less, if you can do the "middle - step paperwork" done quickly.

I have done all incorporation process myself. It's easy but you may want to use the lawyer for preparing corporate documents. I would just use lawyer to do the "middle step" paperwork. Prepare the paperwork (Acta de Asamblea, Estatutos Sociales, Compulsa Notarial, Lista de Subsriptores, Nomina). You can do everything else yourself online from home, without stepping outside - ONAPI nombre comercial, Registro Mercantil, and DGII. I wouldn't pay more than 10K pesos MAX for the paperwork step.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
thanks Rubio,
now that you write again about it i remember that we had such on your complete thread about setting up a company. i just did not have it in mind again with the now shorter name step. even better, and i agree, that way lawyers fees should be cheaper than i paid years ago instead of more expensive.
Mike

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
Normally, I like to do things myself but because of time constraints and an interest to focus our attention solely on creating our business and product, we want someone to do this process for us.

To answer Fabio's question, the quotes I received were based on a set capital of RD$100,000.