You have to see this

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
This is from a new apartment project they were making near me, the huge machine has been a nightmare, causing all sorts of noise, damage, to properties nearby, it was supposed to compound the earth so water wouldnt come back after heavy rains. Those of us affected were delighted to see that the ground was flooded after the last rains, even after all that noise/disruption to our lives. The project has been abandoned, so this guy in the video has found a better use for the dreaded machine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWHKTjA7ejE

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Could that be real? Good grief!
Good question Chip & as an engineer you would probably be able to tell us if this is possible. 8ft plank, 150 Lb plus man PLUS his parachute etc. a 'Launch pad' operating on a max of 4ft diameter ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, could such a man be propelled 500 plus feet into the air? You will probably have noted the STRAIGHT line up he has taken too. :ermm:

You tell me the mathematical requirements are present to make this perfectly plausible & I will believe you!

I hope his surfboard was not damaged by the weight & velocity of excavating machine's grab during this event. ~ Grahame.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Hmmmm - I see this has been moved to 'The Clown Bin/ forum so I suspect one of the moderators doesn't believe it possible to 'project' a male body to parachute opening minimum height on the board & cantilever used in the video. Chip is obviously busy at the moment & therefore unable to answer the question from an engineers perspective ............. are there any other engineers able to verify/dispute the video's contention??

Can anyone verify the location as being 'Sosua'? It doesn't 'LOOK' like a Sosua area to me but I do not live over there (rarely visit in fact) so I could be wrong. It certainly doesn't appear to be near the main Sosua/Cabarete road!! ~ Grahame.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
For this to be true the board would have to be stronger than the force applied to it which seems highly unlikely, but hey the guy went straight up and how can they fake that on youtube

Very convincing

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Nonsense - but funny nonsense.

His knees could not take the force.
Remember - what goes up comes down.
Newton's laws tend to be reversible in time.
Run the thing backwards and ask yourself whether he would survive that fall.
There is your answer.

No maths needed - 6th Grade physics.

Sep 19, 2005
I think it is fake......it is NOT in sosua, the op just said there was a machine just like that near her.

the person would run the huge risk of being projected anywhere but up which could kill him.

if the weight were heavy enough and at the speed it comes down...it is a big possiblility the board would break.

and as someone suggested....his legs or ankles might break at that force and speed.

plus after watching it again...I think the man doesnt have the velocity on launch to acheive the height we see the parachutist at when the screen pans to his opening his chute.....

there isnt enough time for the body to get that high

bad bad bob