Samana vs Las Galeras

onwa9

Dec 17, 2008
I will be travel along in DR and will spend most of my time in Samana and Las Galeras area. I do not speak Spanish.
based on some of the research i did online, it looks like Samana and Las Galera should be sage enough for a single female to travel along. any suggestion?

Also compare Samana and Las Galeras which one I should stay? Now I plan to stay at Las Galeras is it a good idea? Thanks

thurston

Apr 21, 2007
Hi,
You seem to be able to answer your own questions....but it depends on what you are looking for.

CatherineD

Sep 3, 2006
One Vote for Las Galeras

I live in Las Galeras and so I am biased, but Las Galeras has more English-speakers and it is easier to get around. Coconut Roy's is a good restaurant right in the middle of town run by Americans. LG is very small and easy to walk. Plus the good beaches in town(La Playita) and access to Rincon and other fabulous beaches makes Las Galeras a good choice. Samana doesn't really have beaches and other than whale watching tours I am not sure what else there is to do.

We have a bed and breakfast in Las Galeras if you are looking for a place to stay.

Casa Dorado :: Las Galeras

Catherine

onwa9

Dec 17, 2008
Thanks for the reply.
Cathrine I will defintiely try out the restaurant in town.
I do have accomondation reservation already. Thanks for the information.

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
I do speak Spanish. I first stayed in Samana,and quickly changed my mind once I saw Las Galeras. I highly recommend it to you. Have fun.

caipiranha

Feb 15, 2008
Hi,
Santa Barbara de Samana isn`t worth spending more than 4 hours there. Las Galeras is a small but really nice place with beautiful beaches around which can easily reached by boat. I most love Las Terrenas - typical Dominican life/nightlife and some of Samana`s best beaches around. But for a single female tourist, Las Galeras could be better, Las Terrenas devellopped to be a "hot" place for women.
Saludos