Apostille - No more need for DR embassy authentication?

Feb 7, 2007
Question for Mr. Ariza:

Now that the DR has become member of the Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirement of Legalisation for Foreign Public Documents also known as APOSTILLE ....

Does it mean that the birth certificates (translated into Spanish by the official translator in the country of origin) with the proper Apostille seal NO LONGER needs to be authenticated by the closest Dominican Embassy?

Vawner

Feb 7, 2007
I'll 2nd that question

Does this mean that foreigners (in my case, from the US) can get our birth certificates "legalized" here in the DR now?

Related question, does this affect how we apply for temporary residency?

Thank you.

Apr 30, 2006
www.drlawyer.com
Apostille

Does it mean that the birth certificates (translated into Spanish by the official translator in the country of origin) with the proper Apostille seal NO LONGER needs to be authenticated by the closest Dominican Embassy?

Correct.

Does this mean that foreigners (in my case, from the US) can get our birth certificates "legalized" here in the DR now?

No. They'll still need to have their Apostille seal from their country of issuance (US).

Related question, does this affect how we apply for temporary residency?

The only change is that there will be no need to have your birth certificates authenticated at a Dominican Consulate abroad.

Of course, this change only applies to nationals of countries that have approved the Hague Convention on the use of the Apostille. Although the convention was ratified by the DR on Oct-Sep (?) of this year, its enforcement was only announced last week La Canciller?a presenta "Apostilla de la Haya" - DiarioLibre.com

mezclado

Nov 1, 2008
Where to translate my birth certificate ?

The only change is that there will be no need to have your birth certificates authenticated at a Dominican Consulate abroad.

So what about the translation to spanish ?

It does have to be done at the Dominican embassy in my country of origin or can it be now also done in the D-R ?

And if the translation must be done at the Dominican embassy abroad, then can i choose to have it translated at a closer D-R embassy then my country of origin, for instance can i do it at the Dominican embassy in Mexico city ?

Thank-You.

rickboz

Feb 5, 2006
Gracias Senor Guzman.

The process is somewhat confusing to us also.

Do we follow these steps?

1) Get apostilles on our documents from the issuing Secretary of State i.e. Colorado, Arizona, etc.

2) Then get apostilles on our documents from the US State Dept.

3) Then have the Dominican Consulate translate and/or authenticate the documents?

Feb 7, 2007
Gracias Senor Guzman.

The process is somewhat confusing to us also.

Do we follow these steps?

1) Get apostilles on our documents from the issuing Secretary of State i.e. Colorado, Arizona, etc.

The apostille from the secretary of state of e.g. Arizona is the only thing you need. No need for Apostille from the US Federal Secretary of State. I suppose this should be the way as well in the DR.

In Europe, the apostille from e.g. SoS in Arizona is sufficient. Each country has a list of its official bodies that can issue the apostille, and this list is maintained in a Hague Apostille convention system, so the receiving country knows whether it was issued/apostilled by the competent authority.

You can find a list of competent bodies for each country here, look for CONVENTION OF 5 OCTOBER 1961
HCCH | Authorities

You can see the list of competent authorities who can issue Apostille in the USA here
HCCH | Authorities
As you can see even the US Federal Courts can issue fully acceptable Apostille.

In Europe, competent bodies in my country to issue Apostilles are ministries of health, interior, education, justice, defense and foreign relations, as well as district courts, and district civil offices.

In the DR the only competent body allowed to issue Apostille for use abroad is the Cancilleria / ministry of foreign relations in Santo Domingo. --as per the links above--

Last edited:

Vawner

Feb 7, 2007
Not in effect yet

Although the DR has acceded to the "Convention of 5 October 1961 Abolishing the Requirement of Legalisation for Foreign Public Documents", the convention has not yet entered into force in the DR.

As this table shows, the convention enters into force in the DR July 30, 2009:
HCCH | Status table

Until then, we'll have to carry on with the current extortionate method of legalisation.

DRDK

Feb 15, 2012
I'm trying to find out how to go about getting Spanish translations and authentications for my documents (birth certificate etc.) that I need in order to apply for provisional residency. Can anyone tell me if the Spanish translations and authentications have to be done in the US at "the nearest Dominican Consulate" before I go to the D-R or can these be done in the D-R embassy or elsewhere once I arrive in the D-R?

abretusojos10

Dec 2, 2007
Please I'd like to know the same thing, I need to legalize and translate mine and my sons birth certificate so his father can "declare/reconocer" him ... I just need to know if I will need the apostille and how I can go about doing that HERE or the fastest/safest possible way..

thanks again

I'm trying to find out how to go about getting Spanish translations and authentications for my documents (birth certificate etc.) that I need in order to apply for provisional residency. Can anyone tell me if the Spanish translations and authentications have to be done in the US at "the nearest Dominican Consulate" before I go to the D-R or can these be done in the D-R embassy or elsewhere once I arrive in the D-R?