Presidente beer...is it just me?

D

DR-Defender

Hello everyone!!

Just wanted to know if everyone has the same thought when it comes to Presidente beer here in the U.S. It seems to me that the beer that we buy here is nothing like the real Presidente that I drank in the DR a little while ago. The taste is just not the same. I know it says that the beer is imported from the DR but something tells me that's probably just a lie. If anyone has had Presidente in the U.S and in the DR you know what I'm talking about. Anyhow, I just hate to think that people will not like the beer just because it's not the same here. It's a shame, alright.

R

rick

I asked Miller Brewing the same question and was told that all Presidente is brewed by CND (Cerveceria Nacional Dominicana).
What was the date on the bottle? For my taste,Presidente seems to lose its flavor rapidly after 60 days. Did you put it in the freezer to get it as cold as it is in the DR?

Rick

T

tgf

Shipping the beer in cargo containers in the tropical climate certainly affects the flavor of the beer. I find that frequently I will come into a six-pack that is "skunked" (you know what I mean). This rarely happened in the D.R. I doubt shipping improves the body of the beer.

D

D.D.

Personally, I think it?s brewed differently. The export type may have different specifications due to local regulations in other countries. Isn?t the alcohol content of the export type somewhat different than the locally sold Presidente? The one sold in the DR is 6%. I can?t remember what the content on the one I had in Miami is but I think it has less alcohol. I don?t know if it is me but when I have a local Presidente I get a little buzz with the first bottle. In Miami I don?t get the buzz I just get the urge to go to the bath room. Where is Hillbilly? He should know all this

N

NewT

If it's true, it must be part of...

a vast right wing conspiracy!

But seriously, I suspect the difference you are noticing has less to do with the beer than the surroundings in which you are drinking it. Maybe you should bring a U.S. purchased bottle with you on your next visit and perform an empirical comparative analysis.

N

NewT

Alcohol content in DR vs. U.S.

You can't recall the Miami alcohol contnet because U.S. regulations don't permit it to appear on the label. Presidente's alcohol content is "up to" 6%, which, for comparison purposes, is nearly double that of Budweiser and slightly higher than Heineken. Heineken has an alcohol content range of 5% to 5.2%. Guinness Stout is slightly more than 4%.

Burp!

D

dominicanyork

Re: If it's true, it must be part of...

I like the way you think!

I had more than my share of presidente binges when I went to school in The DR in the 70's. I think it might be the same beer, but a little older. When I go see my family, I make a point of asking a well connected brother to secure a case that has just rolled off the conveyor belt. I do feel the alcohol content is somewhat , At least perceivably, higher than say "lawnmower beer". It's like drinking those pricey English beers that became fashionable a few years ago. They too pack a punch. I know people that try to bring a six pack when they come back from vacation.Enjoy una ceniza !!! Or "una fria" , as my dad likes to say.

J

Jack

Where can you buy it?

I've looked for Presidente here in Canada(Manitoba) at local liquor stores and was told we could special order it but would have to order a very large amount. Does anyone have any tips on where to find it? We are not far from the US boarder and occasionally spend time in the Minneapolis/St.Paul area as well as North and South Dakota so any suggestions in these areas would be appreciated.

A

A.J.

Re: Where can you buy it?

From what I know you can not get Presidente in Minneapolis, and believe me My family and friends have tried. You can get Brugal. I have heard the closest to Minneapolis you can find Presidente is Des Moines. The rumpor mill has said that it is due to the Owner of Ocean Breeze who also owns a cigar shop. Some of my family has spoken to owners of liquor stores in minnepaolis, they have said there is interest but not sure how much.

T

tgf

Re: Where can you buy it?

When I was in Sudbury, Ontario last September the local beer store had El Presidente on hand. I was surprised and pleased. In Boston you can find it in many liquor stores, but then, again, we have a fairly large Dominican population in Boston, Lynn, Lawrence and Lowell. It would be expensive but you might be able to get one of those specialty beer.com companies to send you some? Just an idea.

T

Tom

Alcohols is set on a State by state issue.

I think that like other imports Hennikein, Becks tastes different due to the fact that all beer (over a ceratin voloume
must either contain a perervative of be pasteurized

J

John

you need a colmado in USA

the best way to enjoy presidente beer is at the colmadon (dominican version of 7 eleven) with loud music and very very cool beers.
presidente at home never has the same taste as beers at the colmadon. try it. you will see.

T

Tom F.

It has to do with the level of alcohol as mentioned in some other posts. I think it is around 4% when sold in the US and up to 6% in the DR. When the family travels back and forth, they always bring back a half a dozen grandes and you can taste a difference. This ambiente thing can be taken care of by blasting some merengue after the beer has been in the freezer for a couple of hours.

B

BIG DADDY

Re: Presidente beer...is it just me?Tom F.

a few years ago i had a couple of becks dark on hilton head island.great taste.
the same becks dark i tasted here does not even come close.no matter how much dixie you play.

A

Andreas

Presidente beer:Made in New York and santo Domingo

The beer was made in Santo domingo ( with ) 4,94%Alc and in New York ( it's a lower version with about 4 % Alc).
When jou will have a look at the Original bottle you will see, that the way to write is: No mas de 6% Alc, what means " Not more than 6% Alc, but don't discibe exactly the Alc.
I'm knowing it perhaps I sell ( ed ) it in germany, but the Original one, but right now the Dollar is to high.
By the way: Why don't you ask to Marlboro?? Marlboro is the owner of Leon Jimenez ( cigarrs ) and Leon Jimenez is the owner from Cerveceria Dominicana Nacional.
The people in Europe can buy some products at my E-Comerce Shop under www.los-locos.de

J

jim

Re: If it's true, it must be part of...

most U S beer is 5% *DC*

T

Tom F.

Trying to make a joke like Eddy

Big Daddy, I didn't explain myself very well. I was referring to the comments about the taste in the DR being an "ambiente" thing. When I wrote about blasting some merengue I meant with the Presidente's being brought in from the DR.

B

BIG DADDY

Re: Trying to make a joke like Eddy

no offense meant and non taken.as you can see on our little example it is quite easy to have misunderstandings.
we both speak english (native for you strange to me)but this does not mean we speak or understand the same.
the important thing is the tolerance and the effort to understand and to explain what the other party means.
so let's whistle merengue and blast some presidente or blast some dixie while having some presidente.
as far as pulling some jokes i believe life is serious enough so let's have a laugh every once in while.and if the joke is on you than laugh too as the next one may be on the joker.