Inexpensive, safe hotel for single female

bellakins

May 31, 2008
I would like to visit Santo Domingo (for the 1st time) for several days, the last week of January. I've had previous stays on the north coast but realize that SD is a totally different environment. I'd like to stay in or near Zona Colonial, so that I can walk to the historical attractions, restaurants, bars. I am well-travelled, but my Spanish is basic. Any suggestions for a decent and inexpensive hotel? I have researched the threads but want to ask for more ideas. I will have extra luggage (school donations) so I'd prefer few stairs.

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
.....:Jaguar Apart Studios::::..........

I have stayed here many times in the past. It is a fairly new apart-hotel. The rooms are very clean and reasonably priced. Good security. It is about a 10-15 minute walk from the Zona Colonial. The owner is a very nice and helpful man that lives on site and speaks perfect English. His name is Raphael. He used to have a number with a US area code but it is not listed on the website. If you don't want to call long distance, I can try and get it from him. Just PM me.

bellakins

May 31, 2008
How is the hotel Mercure (at El Conde)? I have read mixed reviews, but the location seems to be excellent (maybe a little noisy) and convenient to many attractions. Does anyone have more info. on this hotel or others?

dymmach

Feb 9, 2007
Best Bet!

Hotel Mercure,
Everyone knows it, and where its located.
24hr security
Daily maid service
English spoken at the front desk, WiFi in the lobby
Outside noisey, inside pretty quiet
Good food at the restuarant, free breakfast
Rooms small but comfortable with "HOT" water, closet safe, AC and clean
Outside patio great for meals and conversation
Taxi service 24 hr
All visitors must check in at the front desk or will not be allowed up
Your right smack on "El Conde" outside strip mall great for site seeing or a little dinning and shopping.
Nice decor, not fancy but relaxing
Perfect for single or family travel when visiting the capitol Santo Domingo.
( 2 1/2 stars out of 4 )

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
check out hotel discovery. Cheaper than Mercure and still safe and right on the end of el conde. The rooms are small (but very clean) and there is a nice roof deck.

Just another option.

bellakins

May 31, 2008
Thanks everyone for continued suggestions. There are many places to consider. Location, price, hospitality and comfort are all important (also,as previously mentioned not alot of stairs).

Mujermaravilla

Jun 15, 2006
I've stayed at hotel Atarazana and Maison Gautreaux. I woul highly recomend Atarazana. It is close to everything and the owners are amazing. Maison Gautreaux is a good choice if you want something cheaper. It is safe but it is on el Malecon and the decor is not as nice. I think you would be happy with either one.

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
Hotel Condo-Parque

I would also recomend the Hotel Condo-Parque EXCEPT the OP requested not a lot of steps. The Condo-Parque has a lot of steps, possibly three floors worth.

dr.traveler

Jan 1, 2009
I would also recommend Discovery. Very quiet, has an elevator. At the edge of El Conde, very safe. Probably 60US per day.

La Casona Dorada is good too, but more of a fun place to go.

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
I rescind my referral.

Some time ago I recommended the Jaguar Apart Studios as a safe place to stay. Well it is not as safe as it used to be. I found out that last night a prowler entered the place and nearly killed one of the hotel workers with a baseball bat. The prowler fled before being caught.

So, accordingly, I rescind my referral of this hotel and apologize for extending less than accurate information.

Reactions: Tamborista

dymmach

Feb 9, 2007
Some time ago I recommended the Jaguar Apart Studios as a safe place to stay. Well it is not as safe as it used to be. I found out that last night a prowler entered the place and nearly killed one of the hotel workers with a baseball bat. The prowler fled before being caught.

So, accordingly, I rescind my referral of this hotel and apologize for extending less than accurate information.

Thanx for the re-post , you just saved my a 3 day rental.

Hotel Discovery is nice, but 1 step out of the front door and your on a very busy and noisey street. Not to mention the worlds smallest elevator and the unpleseant ( goings on ) at the opposite corner ( at night ).

Hotel Mercure IMO is still the best and safest hotel for a first time visitor.

If one is not on a budget, one might consider Palacio or CoCo boutique.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
discovery was 46 a night last year. (but prices are going up everywhere)

I do recomment mecure as well. It is right on el conde. Very nice for a first time visitor. Mercure tho is a bit more pricey (not bad) but my friends have gotten good discounts there when booking on line.

bellakins

May 31, 2008
Many thanks everyone for all the varied info.on hotels. I've found an on-line rate of $55
plus taxes/fees (total@$69) for Mercure so I'm leaning towards that for 5 nights. Does anyone know any way to get a cheaper rate. Or maybe I'll only stay in SD for 4 nights.
I'll be taking a bus to Sosua on Feb. 1st for a month on the north coast, so there are other extended expenses to consider.

dymmach

Feb 9, 2007
$69.us Seems to be an honest rate, just remeber the price will inflate automatically if not booked 7 days prior to visit.

dr.traveler

Jan 1, 2009
Here's a tip that may help.

I know some of the hotels will not charge you the taxes if you pay in cash. So you are sometimes better off, not booking through a travel site, and emailing or calling the hotel directly, and paying in person.

I cannot answer for what hotels, maybe some others here can help,

Johannes77

Feb 7, 2008
Hello,

I stayed at Discovery in mid december 2008. I payed 35 us dolars a night (breakfast included) for a small but still nice room.

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
I personally love the Avenida Independencia area and there are a lot of hotels/apart hotels in the vicinity. One of my favorite stays was at LA CASONA DORADA. you can find good rooms starting at $1500RD [i paid for a night] and higher scale rooms for about $2000RD. Security is good and is close to the zona colonial and el malecon.
I agree with other posters, you can get a better deal/rate if negotiated and paid for in cash in person! :)

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
on the mercure site they often have a slightly better rate if you pay in advance...but it is non-refundable. I hae stayed there and would definitely recommend it...it's one of the more "american-type" hotels in the CZ - referring to the front desk personnel/services, elevator, etc.