Non-Charter "local fishing"

mslik

Jan 2, 2009
www.gordonsestateservices.com
I am going to be in Sosua for the 1st time Jan 16 to 23, 2009. Staying AI (Casa Marina reef / beach) for my wife who likes to read. I have personally spent upwards of 20 hours investigating the "real Sosua" and plan to spend as much time off the resort as possible exploring and dining. I am a Bay of Quinte (Ontario Canada between Toronto and Ottawa - Prince Edward County) fisherman and enjoy bass and walleye fishing. I'd like to rent a small boat with a guide and catch fun fish. I have done the deep sea thing in Cuba with my sons and really didn't enjoy it, even though we caught 15 or so fish. I want to cast and reel and catch 10 or 20 fish 2 lb to 10 lb. I don't really care what it costs, just want to spend 1/2 day fishing for fun. Local or expat, I just need a boat and a fun guide who speaks some english with a couple good spots, rowing or motor, I don't care. I really don't like eating much fish, just catch and release.

The only information I have come across so far is:

"call victor in sosua.He is from the states and keeps boat in sosua the number is 809 880 5105. He seems to catch fish."

AND

"Pablo Santos from Aqua Adventure Sosua/Puerto Plata 809-571-1868"

Any other tips from those more informed would be awesome. If you live in the area and can help me out with reliable and unbiased information, I'd be happy to join you (and treat you) to a beer (or two) at one of the local favorite daytime spots AND if I catch lots of fish, lunch and beer / wine / etc. and fising stories and photos.

Hopefully there is a fisherman or two in Sosua. Anything I should watch out for or be careful of regarding fishing with locals, or is it generally all good if your head is up?

Thanks,
Mslik