Who is he - I have hit a wall

Jan 5, 2009
Good evening - I need some help to help pinpoint who my father was: here's what I have - My mother has decided to put closure to her life and has told me about my father, but with her age she leaves blanks - my mothe and grandmother worked in the the Trujillo household durning the 40-50s, was a mistress/lover to one of Trujillo's righthand man, my mother say's he was an american from Ohio and became Trujillo's friend when americans had there hands in D.R. 30-40-50's and was an advisor in the armed forces (this part is strange, I believe see is protecting him, as you will see, she says his last name was Maclauglin or Mclaufly something along those lines, her english is rough). Anyway, I have done more homework on this matter - when it was found out she was pregnant, she was quietly sent to miami and set up with the Fishers/Pollacks as a live-in housekeeper (they were involed in the Chicago Mafia rumor has it). When Trujillo was killed my father fled D.R. to Miami and set lived in Coral Gables, she would go on the weekends to clean the houses of the Lovaton's (Dona's Lina, Sida, Eugene, Alma). My mother said she would look after him and his family untill he passed away, also she recieved monthly cheques to help with raising me untill I was 19 years old. My mother told me that approx one week prior to his death his lawyers had my mother sign some papers. My cousins have told me that my father was alot older than my mother and that he had other siblings, 2 have passed away and one still lives in Miami, now this is where it starts to make sense, her name is Alma, is approx my mothers age, married Negro Trujillo, my first and middle name where taken from my father side (carlos ramon). I made contact with one of the Lovaton family members in D.R., he started to give me some direction, then all of a sudden they shut me down - I believe, no, I know they know my mother and they hold the key but are afraid to open that "can of worms". I believe I know who my father is, I believe my mother kept it from me out of respect when I was younger. I have hit a wall, I don't want to just knock Alma's front door, if I can get close to it, plus I now live in Canada - As a young man years ago, I had no interest in this out of respect for my mother, but when you can't deny that Dominican blood runs thru my viens no matter how I was raised and where I live, my heart wants to know where I came from.
Carlos Ramon Ramirez

Mar 2, 2008
I believe you might be speaking of the U.S. Marine who trained Trujillo when Trujillo was just starting out in the DR National Guard, and continued as his loyal advocate in Washington, D.C.

He is described in the book, The Feast of the Goat, and that might be a good place to start your search.

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
Wow - how interesting. I hope you get the answers you are looking for. Keep us informed if you can.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
there is a McLaughlin mentioned in almost every book on Trujillo....

When I get back I will try and find it...

HB

Jan 5, 2009
That's it

Thanx for all the help my friends, thats the man - now comes the hard part " an proper introduction to Alma Trujillo" in Coral Gables so she can tell me all about him. I also need to contact Dominican historians in the DR, I want to find out as much about him as I can. My mother says that my aunt still tends and keeps an eye on Alma. Thru out this seach, one thing I have found out from my extended family was the "hush hush" and the fear that they still have for the Trujillo's + Lovaton's. Growing up as an American, only being exposed to the DR as a child, spending the summers in the "capital", remembering the 1965 revolt and being hidden from people - this never clicked in on what I may be about. To all my Dominican brothers and ssisters I open my heart and thank you for the help. Holy sh-t, this man was a big time somebody back then.
Thanx
Carlos Ramon Ramirez

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Carlos, there is a board member called Ogre of the Caribbean who has a particular interest in this period of history. If he doesn't spot this thread & post you might want to read some of his posts via the search function & send him a PM. There are also many others, some of whom you can identify by reading these threads
http://www.dr1.com/forums/general-stuff/25971-trujillo-5.html

http://www.dr1.com/forums/general-stuff/30528-manuel-de-moya.html

http://www.dr1.com/forums/dr-debates/19749-greatest-dominican-president-17.html

This must be an exciting yet preoccupying time for you. Wish you well!

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
I found what I think are some of his US Marine Corps muster records through the Ancestry.com web site for a Charles A. McLaughlin who was stationed in the Dominican Republic. I guess he would be in his 20s at this time?

Enlistment date: 12 May 1917

Jun 1917
Station: Company "D" Marine Barracks, Paris Island, SC

May 1918
Station: 28th Company 4th Prov Regt US Marines, Marine Barracks, Puerto Plata, DR

Sep 1918
Private
27th Company, Fourth Provisional Regiment, US Marines

Jun 1918
Private
28th Company, 4th Prov Regt, US Marine Barracks, Puerto Plata, DR

Jul 1919
Station: 25th Company, Fourth Regiment, US Marine Corps-
Temporary Det to Samana Surveying Detachment

Aug 1919
Station: 27th Company, Fourth Regiment, U S Marines (Detached with Guardia Nacional Detachment, Dept. of the North, auth Brigade Commander by Special Order #47,

Jan 1920
Private
Guardia Nacional Detachment, US Marine Corps

Feb 1920
Private
Guardia Nacional Detachment, US Marine Corps

Apr 1920
Private First Class
First Division, Squadron D, Marine Aviation Force,
Second Provisional Brigade
US Marine Corps,
Santo Domingo City, DR

May 1920
Station: First Division, Squadron D, Marine Aviation Force,
Second Provisional Brigade, US Marine Corps, Santo Domingo City, DR

Jul 1920
First Class Station: Guardia Nacional Dominicana, Detachment USMC , Santo Domingo, RD

Aug 1920
Station: Supplemental Roll Guardia Nacional Detachment, U S Marine Corps, Dep’t North, Santiago, R D

Oct 1921
Station: Policia Nacional Detachment Dept South, Santo Domingo City, DR

May 1921
First Sergeant
Guardia nacional Detachment, US Marine Corps, Dept Nort, Santiago, DR

Jul 1921
Station: Guardia Nacional Detachment, USMC Santo Domingo City, DR

Dec 1922
First Sergeant
Station: Marine Detachment, Policia Nacional Dominicana, Dpet Of North, Santiago, DR

Jan 1923
Station: Marine Detachment, Policia Nacional Dominicana, Dept Of North, Santiago, Rd

Feb 1923
Station: Staff Of The Military Governor Of Santo Domingo

Apr 1923
Station: Marine Detachment, Department Of The North, Policia Nacional Dominicana

Oct 1923
Station: Marine Detachment, Department Of The North, Policia Nacional Dominicana, Santiago,

Jun 1924
Station: Marine Detachment, Department Of The North, Policia Nacional dominicana, Santiago, Dominican Republic

Jul 1924
Station: Marine Detachment, Department Of The North, Policia Nacional Dominicana, Santiago, Dominican Republic

Aug 1924
Station: Policia Nacional Detachment, Department Of The South, Santo Domingo City, Dominican Republic

Aug 1924
Station: 196th Company, 8th Regiment, 1st Brigade, USMC Port Au Prince, Haiti

Oct 1924
Station: Marine Barracks, Navy Yard, Norfolk, Virginia
(on furlough, sick)

Nov 1924
Station: Marine Barracks, Navy Yard, Norfolk, Virginia (sick)

Reactions: AnnaC
Jan 5, 2009
Keep it coming, this is great - I have emailed the Lovatons in DR to ask for a formal intro to Alma in Coral Gables - I will keep everyone posted
Carlos

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
In Nov 21 1933 he left Santo Domingo on the Borinquen and arrived in New York in Nov 27, 1933

Charles Alton McLaughlin
Born in Carleton, Michigan
Aug 4, 1898

His address in the United States was:
714 Dorr St.
Toledo, Ohio

In Apr 29, 1956 he flew from Trujillo, SD to New York
with Zaida S. McLaughlin

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
If you send me a private message with your email address, I'll hook you up with your Irish, Pennsylvanian Dutch, and German ancestors.

Jan 5, 2009
UPDATE - who is he - I have hit a wall

Hey everybody, finally got an "address" on Alma. Found out that my aunt still drops in on Alma, but she was afraid to give it to me. She was shocked to find out that my mother had sat down and informed me of my past and who my father was. Still tell ya, some people from that generation are afraid to talk about it. Found out one of cousins husband was involed in the SIM durning the 50's and later the National Police prior to the 1965 revolution - boy talk about rattling the skeletons in the closet. Anyway I want to keep you'all updated because your help has been great. Going to write Alma a proper letter of introduction (I knows of me, plus the Lovaton's most likely have prepared her when I 1st them last fall). Just need to get her to open up.
Carlos Ramon Ramirez