form VAF4 (fianc?? visa for UK)

raf2012

Dec 29, 2008
Hello everybody! My girl-friend for the second time was at embassy in santo domingo (5 hours of guagua an two taxi) for nothing...they said the form was wrong....because they said, it was the form for people already married, while she's applying for fiance? visa! I checked very well the two web-site for dominican fianc?? visa...and I did the application with my fiancee (so I know very well that form!)... so I'm sure the form is right....it is the form VAF4.
Could anybody confirm that? and anyone can recomend what to do? Because people at the embassy don't tell nothing (I don't understand the point)...web-site the same! Once you submit and pay on line (if you don't pay on line don't receive the appointment! nice system!) You can't do the application on line again! if you do that they ask to pay again! I tried! I can't see alternative procedure nowhere!.... I think they had to think about it....just at the embassy!
Thank you very much in advance

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
How very disapponting for you, raf2012, commiserations.

I think you don't need our opinion as to whether your fianc?e used the right form or not - you need to get it straight from the horse's mouth (i.e. a representative of HM Government).

So I have 2 suggestions, one for you & one for Johelis. For Johelis, contact the Hon. British Consul in Puerto Plata (address & phone number on Embassy website), Genni Mendez, book an appointment, take all her paperwork along, the form she used, everything & check with him. She should go through everything with him to make sure it is right. If necessary he can phone the Embassy while she is with him for any further clarification. Mendez is most helpful (plus he's a long time friend of ours so she can mention that when she phones for an appointment).

Secondly, you have the Charg? d'Affaires email address because I forwarded you his mail. Why don't you write to him and get him to confirm which form to use?

I would suggest doing these things before starting the process again i.e. before spending any more money. I think if Johelis had been a little more assertive when she was at the Embassy she should have been able to get the answer as to which form to use, but I understand she wouldn't have wanted to upset anyone.

I've also received your email, thank you, & Grahame & I have both looked at Johelis's completed form. There is one small matter about postcode which needs correcting (I'll email you as soon as I get a minute, bit rushed right now) but it is only a small matter and in no way germane to the issue of which form to use.

If it transpires that the correct form was used (or that the website does not have a separate fianc?e form) then I think a request should be made for a replacement appointment in Santo Domingo without having to pay again. Mendez could process this while Johelis is with him. If, however, the wrong form was used, then she'll probably have to start again.

And if there just happens to be someone on the desk suffering from post-Christmas bureaucratic inertia :cheeky: let me know & Grahame or I will notify the Ambassador. Probably better coming from us, not you, because we're not applicants (& we're still British taxpayers so a proportion of our taxes will be paying Consular salaries ;)).

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I've now emailed you the minor corrections, raf2012, including the postcode for Salcedo and the new name of the province. Probably I'm being pedantic here, but she can put both names in & then no-one can say one was left out!

Saskia

Jun 9, 2005
Agree with Lambada

Hi

From experience, I would definately take Lambada's advice. My husband spoke to Mendez when he applied for his first visa, he was extremely helpful and was full of advice, I would definately recommend a visit.

I have also recommended others to visit him and reports have always been very good.

Good Luck!

;)

raf2012

Dec 29, 2008
Hi

Hi everybody, I contacted the Charg? d'Affaires.....they said the form is right (VAf4 is right for Fainc?e visa) but there were problems with the supporting documents (my fianc?e said the problem was another one! they didn't see any documents) anyway now she''ll phone Genni Mendez to book an appointment to check everything. I think you're right! that's the best thing she can do and thank you very much for the advice....and (Lambada)also for the mail with all information about the form!(post code- adress ect)
I let you know.....bye for now

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Hi everybody, I contacted the Charg? d'Affaires.....they said the form is right (VAf4 is right for Fainc?e visa) but there were problems with the supporting documents (my fianc?e said the problem was another one! they didn't see any documents) anyway now she''ll phone Genni Mendez to book an appointment to check everything. I think you're right! that's the best thing she can do and thank you very much for the advice....and (Lambada)also for the mail with all information about the form!(post code- adress ect)
I let you know.....bye for now

I'm so glad you got a reply from the Charg? d'Affaires confirming correct form. Now is also the time for checking 100% accurate info from your fianc?e - if they didn't see the supporting documents how could they now say the problem was with those? Before you push for another Embassy appointment without paying another fee, using Mendez help, you need to know you are on absolute firm ground & that your fianc?e is reporting back exactly & in full what was said at the time.

Hang on in there!

DOMINCAN JOE

Bronze
Aug 15, 2006
Mendez phone number

Get a phone card talk direct or talk home gives you about 200 mins for ?5.00. Phone no for S /D 001 809 4727111 FAX NO 4727574 Mendez office POP 001809 5864244 FAX 001809 5863096 i always found it better to phone mendis a very helpful man best of luck B T W no,s are from the UK
and they are 4 hrs behind us

raf2012

Dec 29, 2008
a new surprise

Hello every one
Problems never finish?..my girl-friend phoned Mr Genni Mendez and he confirmed all the supporting documents she?s got.. are right, but It seems (He said) I just to plan the marriage by giving a notice (day, date ect) to a local registration office in Scotland?.because he said they gone ask for it? at the Embassy.
The nice new problem is that I checked about that?and I discovered in this web site General Register Office for Scotland - Registration - Getting Married in Scotland) they say:

From 1 February 2005, if you are visiting the United Kingdom (UK) to be married and you are a citizen of a country that is not a member of the European Economic Area, you will need to apply for a visa before you travel (this only applies if your marriage notice is received by the registrar on or after 1 February 2005). If you do not get a visa the registrar will not be able to accept your notice of marriage and you will not be able to marry in the UK. Obtaining a visa should be straight forward. For more information visit the UK Visas website where there is guidance for "Visitors" or contact your nearest British Embassy, Consulate or High Commission for advice.

As they say, only after getting a visa we can plan a marriage otherwise the registrar will not be able to accept our notice of marriage! So I think we don?t need to give a notice of marriage right now?..anyway I wrote to the Consul to have some information about it.
Maybe only in England and Wales you need to give a notice as document for the Embassy?and I?m supposed to get married in Scotland!
The reply from Mendez was just:
Dear Raffaele,

Please consult the web side www.visainfoservices.com, there you will find out all your request

Good luck
Mendez

I have been watching the two web-sites ( visainfoservice and uk border agency) since four months without having any real information?and often.... they are in conflict each other!
Now I?m gone trying to write Scott Malling again!
Maybe someday we?re gone discover the real supporting documents we need for settlement visa (in my case fianc?e visa)
And I let you know?.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Just a second, Raffaele, you're Italian so you're a member of the EU so can't you book the date as per the Scottish requirement and then send this notification to your fianc?e so that she can get her visa?

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Raffaele,
This may sound harsh & uncompromising but it is written with the very best of intentions ........ for YOU!!
This is the DOMINICAN REPUBLIC & things get done on a 'face to face' basis. Your fianc?e was recommended to 'Go & SEE Mendez' to resolve the situation rather than 'talk to him over the 'phone'. Not being firm & resourceful in the DR will generally result in a failure & I think this is what is coming out here, your fianc?e is not being forceful enough or showing the resolve to get through the Bureaucratic maize! There are (to me from what you have said here & by PM) apparent failures of the Consulate in Santo Domingo to give full reason for rejection of the application &/or failures of the system AS DISPLAYED ON THE TWO (conflicting) WEBSITES. These need to be put before the Consulate firmly to ensure your Fianc?'s application is reviewed.

May I make the following offer to you;
IF your e-mails to Scott Melling & your request to the local Scottish Registrar's office for a 'date' that you can put on the application form come to naught, then I will go WITH your fianc?e in to see Mendez & I will fight with her to get the acceptance of the Embassy in Santo Domingo to investigate the visa application again.

If she is not prepared to do that then I am afraid there is little we can do to help push this matter further for you. SHE is the applicant & only SHE can ensure the application is put in front of the powers that make the decisions down at the Embassy. ~ Grahame.

Saskia

Jun 9, 2005
If you are italian and in the UK on a visa I think you can apply via the Italian route for an EU passport ... from what I've heard its quicker, cheaper and you get longer and the ability to travel around Europe freely via the European visa method ... I'd check it out if I were you

raf2012

Dec 29, 2008
documents for the Embassy

We managed to submit the application for fianc?e?.at last!
I would like to inform everybody about the supporting documents to give the Embassy in Santo Domingo but first of all?.There are four basic steps to do:
Complete the application in English and pay the visa application fee online (on www.visainfoservices.com) and print out the completed form and the appointment confirmation to take to the Embassy.
Make an appointment to enroll biometric data at the British Embassy, Santo Domingo.
After you submit the application online, you will receive an email with an application ID number. Save this number for future reference.
Attend at the British Embassy (on the date and time of your appointment, for biometric data collection and submission of supporting documents.

Supporting documents for your fianc?e:
Original Birth certificate (Acta Inextensa)
Marital Status certificate (Declaracion de solteria)
Evidence you met each other (as photos of the applicant with sponsor)
Evidence you have been always in contact each other since we met (as receipts of money the sponsor send to the fianc?e or anything else)
The appropriate fee for the Visa paid on line (maybe is not necessary but I sent a mail with the transaction they sent to me when I paid on line)
Passport and photograph
The completed application form printed (the applicant must take it to the Embassy)
The Printout of the appointment confirmation (the applicant must take it to the Embassy)
In addition, the receipts of the payments to support the information the applicant has given (for example, all the receipts the applicant paid to do passport, birth certificate, marital status certificate ECT?).

Supporting documents of the sponsor:
Passport copy (including the registered last entry and leaving from Dominican Republic)
Residence certificate
Reference letter from the manager to confirm your position in their company
Wage packets (nobody knows exactly how many?.but many is better!)
Bank Statement (last 3.? or 6 months is better)
And the Sponsor?s letter (just to introduce the sponsor and his plan)

I can confirm (at the moment) that the applicant does not need to get the documents translated in English (as Scott Melling stated in a mail sent to Lambada)
The Sponsor does not need to give a notice of marriage (in Uk only after getting a visa you can book a marriage?..you can check in any site!)
The exact form for fianc?e visa is VAF4 (I received a mail from Embassy to confirm that)
However, what you need to apply for a fianc?e visa is??..a lot of Patience and You have to be very very Determined!!! (The applicant and sponsor!!)
Now we will see what is going on! I thank you everybody for advices and help I got on this (especially Lambada and BushBaby)
And I let you know..of course!

raf2012

Dec 29, 2008
At last

Hello everybody.....the visa has been issued!! they were very very fast to reply (i have to say) only 10 days! and She's got visa and all the documents. Now the only problem is to get her here, because air france said she needs a transit visa (again!!) for the connection in paris Before there wasn't any....iberia say the same for connection in madrid and there isn't any direct flight from dominican republic to uk.....at the moment. I'm checking every flight and company.....I'll let you know
bye

wendyj

Jul 24, 2006
If she has a visa she can fly on a UK charter flight.
Someone I know just did this on a work visa.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
DELIGHTED to hear that your hard work & persistence has been successful raf2012 .............. congratulations!!

Going via New York could be a problem with imigration in New York who (from experience) I have seen being treated very badly & will probably miss a connecting flight if it leaves in less than 3 hours after flight from DR arrives!!

If you do not get any success with the tour companies in the UK, let me know & I'll try a couple of other avenues. Obviously the charter companies will be cheaper & more reliable IF you quote them the example of the previous 'Work Visa' entrant!

Good luck ~ Grahame.

Last edited:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Hello everybody.....the visa has been issued!! they were very very fast to reply (i have to say) only 10 days!

Raffaele, I have a big beaming smile on my face :). I'm just soooo pleased. You deserve this - after all the hard work you put into it. Glad we were able to assist a little.

OK, you've done the hard part. Suggest you PM wendyj for details of her friend who was permitted to fly charter to UK - the company, airport etc. If you can get your fianc?e on a similar flight, that'll be by far the easiest. Then when she arrives at Gatwick or Manchester she will need a connecting flight to Scotland. But, hey, if she gets as far north as Manchester you might even go to meet her? Look into charters going as far north as possible, unless of course there are any going to Scotland itself?

Can I make a suggestion? That you should write to the charg? d'affaires Scott Melling at the British Embassy in SD and the other lady he put you in touch with and thank them. Charm and graciousness never hurts and..........if there is any question of your fianc?e having a problem getting a charter flight, you might need their help again.

Let us know when the wedding will be & I'll remember to send you a suitable greeting. :)