Palenque Beach Development

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Is anyone familiar with the Coconut Paradise development going up on Palenque Beach [San Cristobal]? We're seriously considering buying a lot and villa there, but I'm worried about the financial situation in DR - I don't want to end up with an empty lot and no development. Anyone know the developers? Their website is Coconut Paradise. We live in the US and want to spend 6 months there each year when we retire in a couple of years. We want to be 'near' SD but not in it, and we love the beach there. Any advice would be appreciated.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Is this built yet?

Have you seen the place? Is it built yet? There are lots of threads/advice about buying into anything before it is built-- BUT - a lot of units in SD are sold before construction so it is two edged.

There are issues with buying into condo developments that are not up and running and you can read about those as well.

Generally, I would not worry too much about the DR economy any more than you would worry about the entire global economy.

There may be units for sale in Juan Dolio that are already built and on the market that might offer you what you are looking for. As far as I know, this will be sort of the first of its kind in Palenque.

I think that there is going to a general slow down for a while in RE as the global market slows down....but there are always people looking for "beachfront" developments... just as there are lot of "beachfront" developments that never got built, or never got finished, or were just scams to begin with....

Proceed with caution but proceed.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Have you seen the place? Is it built yet? There are lots of threads/advice about buying into anything before it is built-- BUT - a lot of units in SD are sold before construction so it is two edged.

There are issues with buying into condo developments that are not up and running and you can read about those as well.

Generally, I would not worry too much about the DR economy any more than you would worry about the entire global economy.

There may be units for sale in Juan Dolio that are already built and on the market that might offer you what you are looking for. As far as I know, this will be sort of the first of its kind in Palenque.

I think that there is going to a general slow down for a while in RE as the global market slows down....but there are always people looking for "beachfront" developments... just as there are lot of "beachfront" developments that never got built, or never got finished, or were just scams to begin with....

Proceed with caution but proceed.

No, we have not seen it yet - I understand they are putting in streets and/or walls, nothing else is built yet. I think they had an official groundbreaking last month. I hope to fly down in the Spring to see it first-hand, and would like to get in on the ground floor if it's a safe investment.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Juan Dolio has a nice beach but it's just too crowded for me. We always bypass it and go out to Embassy Beach instead [what is going on out there???? It was a ghost town when we drove out there the last time]. Palenque is very quiet [unlike Playa Najayo!], popular with Europeans and very relaxing. The beach is supposed to be replenished by the government which will make it even nicer [if that ever really happens].

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
wow! had no idea this was going on in the San Cristobal region! looks nice and close to home [in DR] :)
hope the development is moving ahead! i'd be interested to see these units up and running!

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
I am so happy this development is being built so close my town! Like MountainAnnie said, proceed with caution, but proceed. I really hope this goes through and now that I know more about it, I will look into this project for myself.

BTW - they are currently re-building the highway to make it larger crossing San Cristobal and going towards Bani. I am sure they will build a way that will exit directly into the highway from Palenque now which will make the commute into the capital faster and easier.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Talldrink, where is your town? Which highway do you mean? When we were last there they were working on the highway out of the capital that we take to Ocoa, what a project and what a traffic jam. Of course, it was a pleasure compared to the mountain road up in Ocoa, landslides and whole parts of the road fallen away into the ravines. On the way back we took the little mountain road through Duveaux over to Palenque. Do you think it would be possible/feasible to commute to the capital from Palenque?

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
I am from San Cristobal and my family is actually originally from Ocoa! We have property in the town as well as Rancho Arriba (one of the many 'campos' in Ocoa) right by the river. I visit Ocoa every time I go to DR - it is one of favorites places to visit when I can!

I take pictures of the road to Ocoa every time I go and so I have been able to document the many transformations that road has gone through as well as the streets that are no more. Amazing.

Regarding the highway, As you know, the 27 De Febrero highway ends in San Cristobal. Right now, thats where the 'old' road meets the highway. The project is to expand the existing road to a 6-lane highway and extend the highway to lead into Bani.

Although it seems like it will never end, this is exactly how we felt about any other major Public Works Endeavor in DR. People never thought we would end up with a highway in the first place, an elevated highway nonetheless, tunnels and now a metro. But they did it!

I am sure that they will connect Palenque and 27 as this project nears completion. If and once they do, the commute will be a highway away to get into the capital and other places. I heard they are working on a better road into Salinas beach as well.

Remember that Leonel is very much interested in promoting tourism in the island. So these projects are a possibility in the near future.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Roads to Palenque & Ocoa

I hope you are right, that will make a tremendous difference. I've often thought they should do something about the roads to Palenque because of the Docimen [sp?] cement factory - those roads weren't built for such heavy trucks. Tying it into a major highway will make all the difference. Our brother has over 1000 acres in Ocoa, our brother-in-law at least as much [his family is fairly well known there I believe - Encarnacion], and ours is small, only about 100 acres up high over the river. I hate that road more and more each time we go up there - I pray the govt. does something about it. If we buy in Palenque I know where I will be when they go to Ocoa:squareeye

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Alter, have you found anything else out about this project? I really liked this when I saw it and I am now considering it for myself.

I found out that the developer is the same one that built a small commercial plaza in town. The spaces were sold off very quickly a few years ago although the Plaza just took got very popular within the last year or so.

My friend owns a business in this plaza and I asked him to get me more info on the company and also to find out what other projects they have done. I am also concerned about the timing in building and of course, how reputable they are as far as doing business with them.

I will post any info I get...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Hi Talldrink, no I haven't learned anything else specific. I heard they built the homes/apts behind La Sirena in San Cristobal and my sister-in-law in SD looked into the company for me and said they are a very reputable company and to go ahead. Her sister is a developer in Bavaro, now beginning a 2nd phase of apartments, so they know what to check for. My fear is the general world economy, so many places have stalled mid-building due to financial constraints placed on them by their banks. You can't plan for something like that happening!!! I'll let you know when we're coming down and maybe we can get together. Please let me know if you learn anything else, Thanks!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Talldrink! San Jose de Ocoa is about the prettiest town I have seen in the whole DR- you are SO lucky to have property there. Family was down from the States and wanted to see the mountains and so we just drove up today. I am totally in love with the place.So absolutely clean.So gorgeous. I went to look at the fresh food in the market - and I thought I was in France, honestly, so beautifully laid out. Such pride of place. And the Parque Central was like a rain forest... ME encanta de este pueblo!

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
Just a Field So Far

I was at the site of the project last week. There had been zero work done on it so far. There is a building being used as a "sales" office and a couple of billboards but thats it so far. I was aproached by the brother of the owner of one of the restaurants on Cocolandia beach with a sales pitch. It is a "pay before they build" deal and they expect to start construction in March. They gave me a slick, well made brochure with floor plans and photo-like artist's renditions. There will be a managment company that will help rent out the units while the owners are not there. I have no experiance in this sort of thing but it seemed to me that to sell 35 villas and 35 apartment in the current downturn may be wishfull thinking. Pay attention so you don't end up with a half built casa like so many others that litter the landscape. I like the tranquility of the area and I hope this project does not change it too much.

sache1119

Feb 1, 2009
ok to do business with these guys....

No, we have not seen it yet - I understand they are putting in streets and/or walls, nothing else is built yet. I think they had an official groundbreaking last month. I hope to fly down in the Spring to see it first-hand, and would like to get in on the ground floor if it's a safe investment.

i understand all the concerns and can relate to all of you, but as a recent client of this development group, i bought a beutiful house from them about 3 years ago and it was one of the best buys i ever made, and im now thinking on buying one of these new condos, to have a weekend home to go to, and beeing on palenque beach is a plus, beautiful beach, and as the name surgest full of coconut trees. very nice indeed.

and by the way the usual way to buy a NEW home here is what the domincian call on FLOOR PLAN the benefit to this is, if you want something changed that you dont like, you can do this because its not built yet, and any changes are easy to be made, as i did on my first purchase with them.

all in all my experience was a plesant one.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Funnyyale - can you please tell us why you feel this way? maybe some facts and not just your opinion on this particular beach?

I am having a meeting tonight with the VP of the this group tonight. My only concern is the downturn of the economy worldwide - with so many people losing their jobs, and companies going under DAILY! I sometimes wonder how long I can afford my OWN house and lifestyle here in the US!

BPL88 - This guy told me they started working on the roads and layout of the place. I believe the water system and etc. When you say NO work - do you mean walls or do you mean it looks like noboby has even done a walkthrough to examine the soil?

Mountain Annie - My FAMILY has property there and I LOVE it! The park gets packed on Sundays... Did you go Rancho Francisca? How about Las Jessicas? I hope you continue to enjoy the visit - take lots of pictures!

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Regarding the road to Highway 27 - the exit has always been there, but right now it is covered b/c of the construction. The exit is called Duboe(esp?) it should be right after El Cinco.

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
Construction

Talldrink- I only walked by on the beach and on the street. There didn't apear to be any construction started at all and no equipment on the site. They may have done some surveying and layed out some stakes and done some soil testing but I did not look at it too closely. The salesman I talked to spoke highly of the company doing the work, but of coarse he would. He said the had done several projects in San Cristobal and they had been in business for about 15 years. He said this was thier first beach front project. I really am not interested in buying, only curious.