peat moss substitue?

Taylor

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Jan 28, 2005
Can anyone recommend a local product to use as a peat moss substitute?

Thanks

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
I did worm composting for many years and didn't want to use peat moss. I found bricks of shredded coconut husks that worked exceptionally well. I bought them from a catalogue in the US. Being that coconuts grow there maybe you can find it????

THE ORIGINAL MULCH BLOCK - Properties of Coir

There's someone in the DR who sells coir as a soil conditioner; can't remember their details but I know who might. I'll e-mail them and see if I can't the info for you.

georgios

Oct 2, 2004
Coco plant at Nagua DR

There's someone in the DR who sells coir as a soil conditioner; can't remember their details but I know who might. I'll e-mail them and see if I can't the info for you.

There is a processing plant between Nagua & Cabrera which utilizes cocoa
fibres to be used as peat moss. The plant is owned by an Italian guy. He exports all over Europe - don't have his contact info.
Georgios

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Since there is plenty of it, you might try dried coffee grounds.
It make a good composter for breaking up the soil andadds nutrients as it rots.
Also, there plenty of "used" bean, peanut and pea vines around Constanza just begging to be hauled off by some enterprising person.

There is PLENTY of mulching material around if you just put your mind to thinking about it. And it should be free for the taking.

Texas Bill

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
There is a processing plant between Nagua & Cabrera which utilizes cocoa
fibres to be used as peat moss. The plant is owned by an Italian guy. He exports all over Europe - don't have his contact info.
Georgios

Yeah, I featured the mountains of coconut husks outside that plant on my blog back in 2006, and as result, the plant owner contacted me. You can find it online at La Mundial de Coco S.A. - Highest Quality Coconut Shell Products , and for information about what they offer contact Emiliano Galigani at info@lamundialdecoco.com

Taylor

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Jan 28, 2005
thanks for your help.

i'm going to use it to do some air layering. i'll try to find the italian on the way to nagua

georgios

Oct 2, 2004
The Coco plant is approx 13 kms from Cabrera towards Nagua, on the right side . There is a water tower next to it...if you pass the water tower turn back. The Italian guy is actually a very nice person, I am sure he will assist you. Actually, the coco fibre is proven to be better than peat moss. BTW, peat moss is banned in some US & Canada states/provinces due to the fact than removing it can speed-up soil erosion from the areas where it is collected (forests, treed areas etc). Obviously removing peat moss can also result in poor undergrowth & loss of some plant species.
Georgios

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
Hey Taylor if you wind up buying it let me know if you like it. I'm curious. I really liked it a lot. The worms did too. It made great composting.