pineapple questions

noresco7

Jan 22, 2009
Hi, I'm interested in investing about 300,000 pesos in a pineapple project in DR. I've never done it before and am trying to do all the preliminary research. They're saying that the individual pineapple plants cost around 2 pesos each, and that each plant takes 1yr to harvest a pineapple. As far as the wholesale prices I'm told that I can expect around 10 pesos per pineapple if the variety is pan de azucar or another that begins with M. Im more interested in the M variety because it seems to be less work. I was wondering if anyone could give some more advice or has had experience with this type of project. How many pineapple plants can I put on an acre? Is renting the land a good and safe idea? Is it worth the investment? Has anyone had success with pineapples? I was considering plantains, but dont want to run the risk of a hurricane and figure that pineapples would be less risky in that sense.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the guy is asking if HE, not his workers, can profit from that business...
and btw, an investment of 300.000 PESOS is not likely to bring you considerable return, sorry to say. you could get few hot dog carts for that, thou.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I do not think I would do it unless you are here to watch every penny and you know something about agriculture in the DR

Pineapples need a certain kind of soil. You can test for it with a lemon...squeeze the lemon, it the soil bubbles, it's no good for pineapples.....so I was told...

You have to figure that the passive interet rates are around 15% now....so your 300K would produce close to 60K before you picked a pineapple...

I think I'd stick it in the bank in a CD and count my cash down the line..Farming will give you ulcers..

HB

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
back in europe i used to think such delicacy grows on trees. what disappointment to find out that pineapple grows on the ground like common cabbage!

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
has anyone noticed that we are being served a different variety of pineapple than what was available a few years back. the bio-engineers have created a a faster growing fruit, one year as opposed to three, it has a more orange-yellow color to the flesh, and it is not as good, despite what the marketing people would have us believe. i first saw these mutants coming out of costa rica, described as "golden", yuk. my 2 cents...................

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
dunno about that but still pineapple here is so much better than in europe!

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
I grow them at my house in SoFlo. They take 12-18 months to produce fruit using the natural soil with Miracle Grow soil mixed into it.

They seem to be hearty plants requiring little to average watering and endure an occasional freeze (so growing in the mountains of the DR seems to be OK by climate)....when the plant fruits, it usually generates a shoot (which can be cut off and planted). Pineapple tops can be planted and will produce fruit as well.

There's a large U.S. market for pineapples that will be used to create dried fruit...

I'm with Amparocorp...those DOLE Goldens are bitter tasting mutants.

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
evan last year had a big idea about pineapple. i went to a thai temple and bought cookies from thailand that are filled with pineapple. still got two new containers of them come over one morning and we will have coffeee and pine cookies,till we drop... all are invited...

Isn't it time to take your medication?

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
...unless you are here to watch every penny and you know something about agriculture in the DR.........Farming will give you ulcers..

HB

Hillbilly offers very sound advice here. Unless you are here, watching everything, expect to be ripped off. Even if you are here watching everything, expect to be ripped off.

I have tried everything from yucca to plaintains and have the battle wounds to prove it. Nothing ever pans out.

By nature I am an optimist, however, in such endevours in DR, the chips are stacked against you.

If you do plan to go ahead, good luck!!!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Growing things - a waste of time, energy & $$

Amen to that. We live in NJ but own a house and about 20 acres in Najayo Beach for about 25 years - at one time or another one or more of my brother-in-laws [who all live and work in the Capital] have planted different things: peppers, onions, eggplants, etc. and made some good money doing it. They gave up after one entire onion harvest was stolen during the night while they were sleeping right in our house. Now we plant trees - mango, avocado, limon, plantano, etc. and have a local guy who irrigates the trees and keeps an eye on the property, but things always magically disappear. They're brazen too. One year a long row of small platano trees disappeared - and coincidentally the people next door have a little platano garden now. And the little shoots/new trees that sprout from the base seem to 'walk away' too. Try to prove anything. The sheriff lives across the street. No one sees anything. We don't ever sell anything from the land, the family comes out on weekends, use the house, go to the each, pick whatever they want and bring it all back to SD for themselves and friends. If they don't take it the 'neighbors' will jump the fence and help themselves. Unless you're going to live on the land that's planted you're going to be taken for a ride. Even then I think it's risky.

Last trip we bought a nifty contraption that you hook onto a long pole that pulls avocados/mangos/etc off trees into a little basket - they're so far up that no one can reach them so they don't get stolen as often. We picked dozens of yummy avocados.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
If you're going to plant Pineapples then Cotui is the area where you want to do it. The soils around there is ideal for this crop. Pineapple is or was very profitable on a large scale, as a result though a lot of people with lots of money got into the business and the market is now pretty flooded, bringing down the prices.

I myself considered getting into it, as it is a pretty easy crop. Basically you just plant it and there's very little you have to do other than having someone to watch it, spray some pesticides from time to time and be there for harvest. It does take a year to harvest so a lot of patience is needed.

ALBOO

Feb 1, 2009
pine away here.

i think the mkt for pine is here whatever happened to the other un mentionable plant__ i was reading that and thought it was a good thing..of course the thing i liked was the many uses of it...p.s. i always buy canned p.a. when on sale.. u never no..

ALBOO

Feb 1, 2009
i heard about a n.j. guy whose whole pineapple crop was stolen. must have taken two days and four 'five trucks. wow. his farm is here. he was doing ok had the crop spaced out three times a year. i guess they saw his new pickup and decided to clean him...me i like the fenced farming idea. anyone doing free range chickens________

madera

Jan 30, 2009
farming

if you want to farm in this country better get a dog and live on the land... know your neighbors or have someone you know as manager. i have a new friend who has a farm w/ manager. high up. i dont think that its possible for a major rip. have to pass the managers house and lands, it is a good idea.. except for you trying it , dont put down more than you care to lose. that way you can always chase your money with more...

Mar 2, 2008
Madera,
I still like the bamboo idea. Don't let the nay-sayers deter you from your dreams.

Stay strong, and drink plenty of fluids.

donmobay

Say what ! ???
Dec 10, 2005
well i agree with you lets root this guy on...if he wants to plant his bamboo tell him we all will help. this way we could all contribute$$$ some money time and effort. imin. and i hope you bring some young kids to help watch plant learn experience.... nothing like a teacher...