Fastest way to Samana Town

jlewfirtree

Dec 3, 2008
Hi.

What is the fastest way to get from Santo Domingo to Samana Town?

Also, does anyone have the schedules for the GuaGuas or Buses for a Friday night or a Saturday morning?

Thanks!

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
IMO the easiest and most efficient way to travel from SD to Samana is the Caribe Tours Bus. Caribe Tours C. Por A. You can take the GuaGua and save a little time, but it is not as comfortable, and certainly not as airconditioned, as the Caribe Tours [the Caribe Tours Bus can get down right cold if you're not prepared for it]. The other alternative is to rent a car and drive the new highway; expensive, but a nice ride and much less time consumming. The Caribe Tours Bus will get you there in about 4.5 hrs.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
Hi.

What is the fastest way to get from Santo Domingo to Samana Town?

Also, does anyone have the schedules for the GuaGuas or Buses for a Friday night or a Saturday morning?

Thanks!

take the guagua from SD...they run just about all day from sat morning at 730 am..last one is 4pm in afternoon....all are ac and fairly comfortable,most are new busses...time is about 2 1/2 hours and uses the new highway...caribe tours does not use the new highway and is about 2 hrs longer...
bob

PGerace

Feb 16, 2002
???

Saludos!
Just for clarification. Are you saying that Caribe Tours does not use the faster new highway to arrive in Samana from Santo Domingo??
If that's true what is the name of the other bus company and where can I get those express buses to Samana from Santo Domingo?
Thanks.
Paul

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
Saludos!
Just for clarification. Are you saying that Caribe Tours does not use the faster new highway to arrive in Samana from Santo Domingo??
If that's true what is the name of the other bus company and where can I get those express buses to Samana from Santo Domingo?

the bus station is on Baharona,next to Plaza Lama on Duarte.Just ask for La Parada a Samana.
phone number is
Thanks.

bob
Paul
he bus station is on Baharona,next to Plaza Lama on Duarte.Just ask for La Parada a Samana.
phone number is
Thanks.

toursamanawithterry

Jan 30, 2009
Caribe Tours does use the new highway to get to SD from Samana 2 times daily all the rest of the salidas to the capital go through San Fransisco.

I know for a fact that the 8 am bus to SD leaves Samana and uses the new highway. You are there in just over 2 hours. It's wonderful. Unless you need to go to SF or somewhere in between never use the old route.

jlewfirtree

Dec 3, 2008
Hey Thanks.

I called them and they say that ALL of their buses take the new road, including the 4:30 departure.

We would like to come back on Sunday night, and it seems the last departure is 4pm. We would like to stay a bot later, is there a Gua Gua that leaves at 6pm or even 7pm? And does THIS take the New road?

Last month I took a gua gua to Las Terrenas, and it took FOREVER, 4+ hours, and we were ON the new road!!!

calpiswater

Feb 17, 2009
So just to clarify, now ALL Caribe Tour buses leaving from Santo Domingo uses the new highway? That's great! Thanks for the info!

Sullyjet

May 14, 2009
Just wanted to jump in and hope I could get some responses to a couple quick, simple questions.

What would be the cheapest way to travel from Santo Domingo to Samana?

Coming from the US, is it pretty standard to fly into SD and catch a ride to Samana? I'm sure it's cheaper than a flight (if any are available? any input here and what carriers/their prices are that go from US to Samana airport?) direct to samana, no?

I'm seeing flights for around $330ish US to go into SD, any suggestions on carriers that generally have the cheapest flights traveling into DR from the US(Miami I suppose)?

How much/long should I expect the drive from SD to Samana to be?

Any input on any of these areas would be greatly appreciate, thank you very much.

jlewfirtree

Dec 3, 2008
Try Jet Blue or American.

From Downtown Santo Domingo, it is cheapest to take a bus. But if you are coming from the Airport, the Samana highway is right there...so maybe rent a car, if you dare.

toursamanawithterry

Jan 30, 2009
The fastest way to get to Samana from Santo Domingo is to take an airplane from SD to Samana or Las Terrenas airport. They are small 4, 6 or 10 seaters but they make daily flights that take 30 min. The price is somewhere around $89.

The bus will take 2 hours if you are on the 8 am or the 4 pm bus. Any other Caribe tours bus will take you 5 hours to get here. But you will need a taxi from the airport to the bus station for around $35 and it will take 30 min depending on traffic.

You can get a taxi for around $200. This will take around 2 hours or so.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
The fastest way to get to Samana from Santo Domingo is to take an airplane from SD to Samana or Las Terrenas airport. They are small 4, 6 or 10 seaters but they make daily flights that take 30 min. The price is somewhere around $89.

The bus will take 2 hours if you are on the 8 am or the 4 pm bus. Any other Caribe tours bus will take you 5 hours to get here. But you will need a taxi from the airport to the bus station for around $35 and it will take 30 min depending on traffic.

You can get a taxi for around $200. This will take around 2 hours or

there are several busses to Samana from the Samana bus terminal on Barahona street,near plaza lama on duarte..they start at 730 am and run until about 4pm..about 3 hours...300 pesos...
bob.

there are several busses to Samana from the Samana bus terminal on Barahona street,near plaza lama on duarte..they start at 730 am and run until about 4pm..about 3 hours...300 pesos...

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
?

Do these run everyday? How do you get from Samana to Las Terrenas? Do these buses take you to Las Terrenas. If you go through Caribe Tours, does it ho directly to Las Terrenas?

Mr. Lu

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
How do you get from Samana to Las Terrenas? Do these buses take you to Las Terrenas. If you go through Caribe Tours, does it ho directly to Las Terrenas?
Mr. Lu

Taxi from Sanches or Samana to LT. Caribe Tour don't go all the way to Las Terrenas (unless they have started doing it now). Taxis waiting at the bus stop in Sanches ready to drive people across the mountain. The mountain road is my favorite road in the country, the view is worth the trip. Bring your video camera go for it.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007

Taxi from Sanches or Samana to LT. Caribe Tour don't go all the way to Las Terrenas (unless they have started doing it now). Taxis waiting at the bus stop in Sanches ready to drive people across the mountain. The mountain road is my favorite road in the country, the view is worth the trip. Bring your video camera go for it.

Hey,

Great! So the mountain road is best? Do you know of a price more or less?

Mr. Lu

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
Can't remember but I guess it depends on whether the taxi is with or without a/c, and also negotiation skills. LOL.:classic: It's a 30 to 40 min drive.
you can get motoconcho for less than 100 pesos over the mountain....pickup truck is about the same...

but you can get guagua to el limon from samana and then another to las terrenas

or you can take guagua from sd directly to las terrenas 3 times a day every day,for about 300 pesos..
bob

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
The last time I took the taxi from Sanchez to LT it cost me $30US. But the guagua from SD to LT is the cheapest way to go imo, and its a real adventure. It's not as comfortable as the Caribe Tours and taxi/truck from Sanchez, but it is an adventure. BTW, my experience has been that the taxi from Samana to LT is more expensive and the guagua from Samana to Lemon and then to LT is cumbersome and time consuming. I would deboard at Sanchez if I took the Caribe Tours and either get a guagua or taxi/truck from there. As everyone else said, the view from that road, over the mountain to LT, is spectacular!