Staphylococcus aureus ST398, New York City and Dominican Republic

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Found this interesting study about MRSA (methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus). It's a strain of staph that's resistant to the broad-spectrum antibiotics commonly used to treat it. MRSA can be fatal.

Abstract
Closely related Staphylococcus aureus strains of ST398, an animal-associated strain, were identified in samples collected from humans in northern Manhattan, New York, NY, USA, and in the Dominican Republic. A large population in northern Manhattan has close ties to the Dominican Republic, suggesting international transmission.

Conclusions
Identification of the S. aureus clone ST398 in northern Manhattan and in the Dominican Republic suggests its introduction into the United States by travelers between the 2 countries. The largely Latino population of northern Manhattan is composed mainly of immigrants or first-generation families from the Dominican Republic; travel between the 2 regions is common. Alternatively, northern Manhattan may contain reservoirs, such as live poultry markets, which may serve as a means of strain transmission.....

S. aureus ST398, New York City and Dominican Republic | CDC EID

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
I see that study mentions live poultry markets as a possible link (everyone wants to pin it on the poor chickens of the DR). I wonder if this strain is like the one found in pigs and pig farmers in Canada, USA and Netherlands and in beef, veal, pork products on the shelves of stores. I wonder if food handlers (butchers etc) are more at risk for picking it up and then it's spread to the family. Pork is imported isn't? From where? What's in their feed, antibiotics? Could there be any dumping of contaminated pork involved? The study said the strain contrasted with the one in Canada, I wonder if it's similar to any strains in the USA outside of northern Manhattan. Interesting food for thought.

Mar 2, 2008
I think there are many different ways to transfer this infection, and aerial transmission is the most common.

However, the vehicle of transmission is not the important factor with this infection, it is the long-term over use of antibiotics that has created this public health risk.

Also a factor is the partial use of prescriptions, that is not finishing the full regimen prescribed. When a person takes only only 3 days, for example, of a 6 day day regimien the infection, which is not completely finished off, becomes immune to the antbiotic, and becomes much harder to kill once it is transferred to another person.

This is a serious issue, and one that goes far beyond the DR and even the US. It is a world-wide danger.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I discussed MRSA in some detail in another thread, having had a bout with it (subcutaneous, not systemic).

It is one nasty bug. But recent research has shown promise, and two antibiotics have shown to stop it. However, one is a caustic IV drug requiring a central line being inserted because peripheral veins can be permanently damaged, and the other, an oral antibiotic that even in the generic form is over $1200 for a 2-week/twice a day regimine (and $2400 in name brand form), and must be combined with a $300 tube of ointment swabbed in the nostrils and twice daily baths in Hibiclens.

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
I think there are many different ways to transfer this infection, and aerial transmission is the most common.

Aerial transmission is the most common? I thought it was dirrect contact. If it was aerial wouldn't we all be dropping like flies? Unless I have the wrong definition of "aerial transmission."

It's my understanding that it's most commonly transmitted from the nostrils of the colonized individual to their hands and then to dirrectly to other individuals and surfaces (medical lab coats, gloves, hands of healthcare workers with physicians being some of the most lax in following pre-cautions). And in the community with colonized family members or on the surfaces of clothing beds, skin-to-skin contact etc. And there's community-acquired MRSA (with athletes).

This is one mentioned in Hidalgo's post and the article is a new strain from animals, that is transmitted from animal to animal and farm worker and into the community and the food chain. That's my understanding. I suppose if you sneezed it would be distributed in tiny droplets. But wouldn't entire hospitals close if it was aerial transmission and we'd have a pandemic?

I agree with your other points about antibiotics and I'm certainly not an expert on any of this. I think antibiotics in the animal feed is a big factor. That being said, there's no solid evidence that you can get it by consuming contaminated meat... according to the Beef, Pork producers who export tons of the stuff.

Mar 2, 2008
I was trying to find the referrence I read regarding aerial transmission and couldn't, so you might be correct in that regard, Margaret.

If I find it I will post it, but until such time I think it is best to assume that Margaret is correct in saying that aerial transmission is not the most common.