The Great Gringo Controversy revisited

pinkfiles

Dec 30, 2008
First of all, gringo stands for green go and use to meant for the AMERICANS soldiers to get the hell out. A gringo is an american not any foreigner, even the locals know that... Second, I've been here for a month and lived for about 700$ and this includes lots of eating out and alcool lol. you can find an apartment/ studio for about 350-400$ a month, and the grocery is really cheap. I did a big one today and it cost me about 30$ . Finally, all this money is invested in your economy so no one should really have to complain...

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I'm called "Gringa" and I'm a black American. Yes, I believe it is used for ALL foreigners.................
SHALENA

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Gringo is a usual in the every day local language word for a white foreigner, doesn't matter where it originally came from,Mike

I may be incorrect but to my knowleadge historically not all but only American white foreigners have been called "gringos". Not Germans, not French.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I may be incorrect but to my knowleadge historically not all but only American white foreigners have been called "gringos". Not Germans, not French.

that would be correct for mexican history,
the dominican today's talking/phrases/use of the word are different.
and yes, to name somebody straight in the face Gringo would not be a nice approach and is mostly not meant very nice neither, the word is used for us when talking about us, no to us.
Mike

augustus

Dec 19, 2007
African American or White, from any other country, I believe gringo......

Possibly might call a Dominican from the US a gringo, but might have to check on that, but they can tell the different diolect.

Mar 2, 2008
I don’t understand the disagreement. Words always change there meaning over time, and have different meanings to different people, and there will always be a difference between the original word and the evolved word.

By most accounts (but certainly not all), the word 'gringo' was first used by Mexicans to describe white Americans, during the early to mid 1800s. While there are different accounts as the derivation of the word, the explanation I like best is that it came from Santa Ana’s men listening to the men in the Alamo singing, “Green grow the lilacs”.

As the terminology spread through the rest of Latin American it widened its meaning to include all North Americans. And then over the course of the last 10-20 (give or take), in some LA countries and most Caribbean countries the meaning of the term has grown to cover all those of foreign birth.

I find it interesting and amazing that people are so eager to fight over the ever-changing meanings of words. Language is alive and dynamic, and words are constantly being created and evolving, as they migrate from one set of circumstances to another.

Compare the dictionaries of today with those of 20 or 30 years ago, and you will find several things to be true.

The most obvious thing you will notice is that there are vast numbers of new words being added to the dictionaries all the time, many hundreds every year.

Secondly you'll see that the first definition of many words seldom remains constant. Often the first definition quickly moves to third, or even fourth, in a matter of just a few years. Sometimes the definitions might reverse themselves, and gradually make their way back to number one.

And you will also see that it is not only the words themselves that evolve. While it is not as frequent, the pronunciation of certain words also change over time, as well.

'Gringo', like many other words, had a start at a certain place and time, it has evolved through usage, time and various cultures, and its meaning will continue to morph until such time it is no longer needed.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I moved these posts from the Sticky 'Budget Musings' post in the Living forum because the discussion was taking on a life of its own. :)

My 2 cents: Mexicans hearing Americans singing "Green grow the rushes-oh!" was the version I'd always heard for the origin of the word.

In some Latin American countries Gringo is only used for people from the US. In others, like the DR, it is more flexible and can be used to describe most foreigners, although not fellow Latin Americans, Spaniards or Italians in my experience.

Last edited:

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
This is what I’ve heard all my life in the DR about this word. During the civil war of 1965 & the American intervention, people started calling “gringos” to the American soldiers because the green uniform “green go home “This is what people was trying to say, (Largense para su casa y dejen que nosotros resolvamos nuetros problemas).

JJ

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
This is what I?ve heard all my life in the DR about this word. During the civil war of 1965 & the American intervention, people started calling ?gringos? to the American soldiers because the green uniform ?green go home ?This is what people was trying to say, (Largense para su casa y dejen que nosotros resolvamos nuetros problemas).

JJ

I've heard this explanation too, but it doesn't make sense how Mexicans who speak only spanish were able to say "Green-Go Home" to an American soldier.

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
This is how it is used. Gringo for Dominican is a North American from the US. You do not have to be white. If they call you gringo and you are not from the US, they just thought that you were from the US.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
It can be used for Dominican Americans (born and raised in the US) who come back to live or visit the DR, as well. I hear it all the time among friends and family. It is a general reference.

As per who is a Gringo or called one, it is initially used for any foreigner, and is a broad term for foreigners. Though the word is rooted as a reference to Americans. When speaking directly towards the US, the word Gringo is used to refer to its citizens.

Also, though not specifically, it will refer to foreigners from Europe or the US with light or white skin. There are exceptions. As Shalena pointed out.

And as others have pointed out it can be used by foreigners, amongst themselves, as as a general light hearted statement. You should only be insulted by the word gringo if you heard the word "maldito" before it.

Mr. Lu

augustus

Dec 19, 2007
Sorry, miss-placed my English-Spanish dictionary ( maldito )????????

Also, I'm African American, 57, med brown complection, look Dominican and blend in pretty well, and get along real good, but not much knowledge of the spanish language, but seem to understand, when I'm there in person, but nothing over the phone...........Do I fall under ( gringo ) ???????????

La Verdad

Jan 4, 2009
Sorry, miss-placed my English-Spanish dictionary ( maldito )????????

Also, I'm African American, 57, med brown complection, look Dominican and blend in pretty well, and get along real good, but not much knowledge of the spanish language, but seem to understand, when I'm there in person, but nothing over the phone...........Do I fall under ( gringo ) ???????????

The term Gringo has nothing to do with complexion (with an X)...it's a state of mind.

L V

Last edited:

BabyBlu

Jan 20, 2004
Hi, I just wanted to know where you did your food shopping? I just spent 1,400 ($40) and walked out with just a few basics, no brand names, no "goodies". Where did you do a "big" food order for $30??