Botanical Gardens

mochaamericana

Oct 10, 2008
Hey does anyone know anything about the Botanical Gardens. My boyfriend is coming from the states for the weekend, and I was wondering if it's worth the trip. Also, are there any other really cool places to go in Santo Domingo other than the Zona Colonial/ are there any places that should be avoided -especially if they are known for the discrimination on the basis of color (I'm from the Southern part of the United States, so I don't play that mess)

CarpeDReam

Feb 17, 2006
Hi,

Last time I went to DR I had some family that wanted to take me to the botanical gardens. I was really not into it bc I didn't expect much. To my surprise it was a very well taken care of park; sufficiently big; interesting and very pleasant. Definately worth while. You go on a train car and have a guide tell you about all the plant species (I think they have translation devices if need be), then they let you off to see specific gardens...great place to take pictures.

As far as other places, you should go eat at El Conuco: a very typical and cultural restaurant. You can also take a trip to Los Tres Ojos if you have time and efficient means to get there. If you guys are into clubbing you can try "la guacara taina." I'm sure there are plenty of other places but I haven't been all around the capital to help you much.

Oh and the discrimination thing, that's really not anything to worry about. There has been about 2 incidents to my recollection and it is unsure if it was really about race or about the way the person dressed/had their hair, etc. (which honestly is more likely)..this is something some clubs can be picky about. One time I was not let in bc of the shoes I was wearing. I have been to clubs with light skin ppl, mulattos like me, and very dark ppl and I have never had a problem anywhere unless someone was not wearing the "appropriate style." But the clubs that have done this have accepted people of all colors before and after the incidents...it is their dress codes that are strict. And as far as discrimination...it really does not compare to the south at all.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
oops..just posted a long thread before re-reading the OPs post and that she actually LIVES there. So i deleted.

The one thing i will keep tho...is that if your boyfriend gets stopped at customs...tell him not to speak spanish. They might just think he is domincano. I speak semi spanish...but at the airport ONLY english.

Take him to the beach is what i would do! (just not on a sunday...and not boca chica...even tho i like boca chica). BC isnt as bad as many people here on DR1 says...but it does get REALLY REALLY crowded on sundays..so juan dolio might be better. Oh..and dont waste your time going to the aquarium. Its just not that impressive.

Last edited:

carrie

Sep 16, 2004
Color is not an issue here in D.R. Native Dominicans are all different shades of color. It's mostly how you dress is the respect you get.

You can take your boyfriend to the Faro its beautiful inside.

I personally like Boca Chica beach but I agree weekdays only.

If your boyfriend is coming for a weekend soon before the whales leave Samana - then Samana whale watching is the thing to do. It's awesome and you can't get that kind of whale watching in the USA - except near Boston coast somewhere in May or June.

Enjoy

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
I really like the Botanic Gardens. I went there 2x. I wanted to see the the orchids. I wound up missing them both times. That area closes earlier. When I visited it closed at 4. I was so disappointed.

I don't know if the orchids are still there. If they are see them for me!!!

2LF

curlyq

Mar 20, 2006
Its well worth the visit. It is the largest botanical garden in the Caribbean and has a beautiful Japanese garden as well. Lots of photo opts of flora and fauna. Go in the morning because it gets very hot in the afternoon. There are many shady places to sit if you want to get out of the sun.

Take a tour of the Colonial city and see the monuments, museums and Columbus' Lighthouse or stroll the Malecon.

Enjoy

CarpeDReam

Feb 17, 2006
I've never been to el faro...but now that someone here said it's beautiful, i'll keep it in mind (it looks horrible on the outside...not taken care of). If you do decide to go, los tres ojos is very very close to it so it can be two trips in one.

And just to let you know, one time from the capital, the group I was with decided to go to Isla Saona. We woke up early, were on our way to the east and made a pit stop at "Las Cuevas de las Maravillas"...very large, well taken care of, and interesting cave. This is located in San Pedro de Macoris. Once your done, start heading out further east onto Bayahibe port. Got on a boat (I'd recommend the faster boat bc the island is pretty far and u don't want to get too bored w/ the slow ones or waste more time then necessary) and onto isla saona...beautiful beach; make sure the boat capt takes u to the natural pool before heading back to the port... amaaaazing... great for pics. Btw, there are restaurants on the island so you can eat there. Don't stay too long on the beach...i'd say by about 2pm you should be heading back to the port at Bayahibe. This way, while heading back to Santo Domingo, you stop by Altos de Chavon for a while...great pic place as well and very romantic. Then head back to the capital and you are able to make it before nightime depending on how long you take with everything. Trust me, if you follow that schedule strictly, it'll be one of the best and romantic days of his trip.

Last edited: