Questions about student/work visa to the US!

lalad87

Jul 27, 2007
OK so I have a question. Last year a Dominican friend (male) tried to get a visa through me and my family via visitors visa. Of course it was rejected, surprise surprise. Anyways now he's trying to get a visa to the USA for this summer either through work/study abroad with a American woman that he's known for 7 years now. He lives in Monte Cristi with his family who are not well off, he is in the university but he doesn't have a job. What is the likelihood they would give him a visa in this matter? And if he isn't given one will it look strange to now have tried two different ways aka tourist, then work/study with two different Americans? Will that make his status later be more difficult if lets say he actually does eventually get married to a US citizen and want to come abroad? Like touched all the bases?!? haha

thanks for the advice!

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
If he's a full time student & speaks english reasonably well, look into summer work programs in the U.S. Summer Camp Jobs & Work and Travel Abroad with CCUSA would be an example of a company that coordinates visas & jobs in the u.s

Students can line up their own jobs anywhere in the U.S. or take one that's coordinated through the companies.

Anyhow... a chance perhaps for him to get his Visa and earn a few thousand US dollars in a 3 month summer program. Once he's made the trip & returned to DR, it puts him in a better (though not guaranteed) situation for a future tourist visa.

lalad87

Jul 27, 2007
Thanks for the info, but what's the likelihood of someone from a poor background being accepted into a program like that. I mean the application alone (not including those for the visa, flight etc.) is 250 $. Also proof of funds 900-1500...if one isn't working that money would have to be deposited into his bank via someone else, which is something the embassy will know about because there would be no consistency. What is the actual chance of him getting abroad with out getting married?

maryanne

Mar 16, 2003
Tried this twice 3.5 years ago for Guillermo (ex boyfriend) but for Canada. We had everything in check including money in the bank for almost a year that would cover everything. School was paid for, accomodation paid, ticket paid, even a work offer in the DR once he completed his course (Travel and Tourism). He even had ownership of his mother's house (she left it to him and his brothers after she died and his brothers signed it over to him so that he could apply). Same answer received twice: "not enough proof that he would return".
They told us not to return unless something changed on his application. There was nothing he could do.

When he applied the second time, he added ownership of the house and the paid air ticket.
Still didn't change the end result.

maryanne

Mar 16, 2003
Oh but that didn't discourage him for too long. He applied to work on a cruise ship (Royal Caribbean) about 1.5 years ago and he got the job and the US work visa this past December. So Canada refused to have him here to study but the US is allowing him to work on a cruise ship (he got a 5 year work visa).

I have no idea what criteria they use!!!