Crazy stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

IslandPrincess

Jun 16, 2008
Crazy Question....I hear a lot of Dominicans talking about Psychics, witch doctors, fortune tellers, Santeria, voodoo priests etc. Where are they? Can anyone go see them? I have never seen anything like that here opposed to in Santa Monica, there is one every 2 blocks. I am a huge fan of the mystical things, so out of sheer morbid curiosity. I want to know!

Last edited:

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
There are tons of these in The DR (specially Haitians). You just need to ask around in the hood. Tell them you think someone "Te ha hecho brujeria" and you need someone "que sepa de eso" (who knows about these things) and you'll get pointed to the local brujo. For a milder experience just ask where you can find someone who "lee la taza" (reads cups of coffee) of "lee las barajas" (card reader).

Be careful though, as a lot of these guys (some people would say all) are big time shysters and some people have been taken for large sums of money.

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Be careful though, as a lot of these guys (some people would say all) are big time shysters and some people have been taken for large sums of money.

So true! I laugh when people only complain about some of the ?christian? con artists, cause there are plenty of witch doctor, obiah, santeria, etc. con artists too. Just by accident a card-coffee reader in POP showed me her little room in the back of her house and asked if I wanted a reading. I told her I had no money and she said oh maybe another time and I thought a sanky witch.lol I dont trust the majority of those people anyways. I rememeber my cousin and aunt wasting money on these con artists to get a boyfriend back or a curse off that some jealous person put on them. Bathing in some blue magical water, burning this type of candle or throwing something into lake Ontario, dont leave your underwear out or hair in your hair brush where someone with a grudge against you can use it to hurt you hahaha. Caribbean people are so funny LOL

I remember visiting a friends home in Cuba and the father was a Santeria doctor and they didnt have any chicken to feed us the hungry guests. So he called a big politican in the Cuban government, one of his clients and told him he needed to provide him with a chicken to sacrifice today to help him with the issue. And that night we had a good chicken dinner that was really sacrificed for our bellied. The client thought he was helping himself but he was really helping us. lol

But there is a place in downtown POP in the building behind the big outdoor food market, close to Mountain View Hotel. They have a bruejeria and sell alot of herbs and candles and posters and creams and soaps and what not.

Reactions: Celt202

IslandPrincess

Jun 16, 2008
Thanks

Thanks, I might even Swing by Puerto Plata today. That sounds like a fun and spiritual experience. If you aren't taking it too serious, and you know that 90% are con artisist, its more or less just another tourist attraction I suppose. I do believe Some people truly have a gift, while other's take advantage. I just enjoy this part of Caribbean culture. I once visited this little town in Florida called Cassadega. It's a town full of Mediums and Psychics. As soon as I entered the room with the the psychic, she asked me what I wanted to know about "Mark", who was my boyfriend at the time. No way in a million years she could have known his name. Also, coincidentally she told me I would be moving to a new and exotic place, and that was about 3 Months before I got the offer to move here. She also described an old photo of my dead grandfather to a "T". Many many more things like this. It's always possible these could be coincidences, but somethings are just impossible to write off. If I do go I will post about the experience. Thanks!

Reactions: FernieBee

carrie

Sep 16, 2004
Hi island princess

I sent you a private message.

Please be careful with these so called "brujos"...

Blessed Be

Reactions: FernieBee

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I use a bruja. Not all are con artists, and mine only charges 150 pesos so I doubt that she is getting rich off of it. I went to three before one actually told me anything that I believed.
I go to her because the first time I met her, I went for "vaina de hombres" as they say and she told me that my oldest daughter was having headaches and it was because she lost her glasses. I told her that my daughter had her glasses. She just said "OK...if you think so but I would buy her another pair". When I got home I asked my daughter to bring me her glasses. She did not wear them at home at the time because she said she only wanted to wear them for school, as if she was embarassed. But then she told me that she had lost her glasses 2 months before, I asked her was she having headaches and she said yes. We went to get her more glasses.
This is now my bruja and I see her at least once a week, she knows that I am American and has never charged me more than the regular 150 pesos. She never pushes me to do "trabajos" or things of that nature. She just tells me what she sees and if I ask a question that she cannot see the answer to, she tells me so instead of giving me some answer she just made up.
I trust her as far as if she tells me something, I do it.
She called me at 2am one time to tell me that someone was going to ask for my last name in the next few days and that I was not to give it to them. And when the person asked me 2 days later, I made up a last name for them...I believe in works and don't know what that person was planning but haha, I was one step ahead.
You are going to probably encounter a bunch of fakes but when you find a good Bruja/Brujo, they are worth their weight in gold.
SHALENA
P.S. My friend got her husband because of a Bruja.......;)

May 31, 2005
Damn.. Now I wanna go see a bruja for myself. Do they ever tell you if something bad will happen Shalena? That is what I am afraid of. That they will tell me all kind of bad stuff that I don't want to hear.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Damn.. Now I wanna go see a bruja for myself. Do they ever tell you if something bad will happen Shalena? That is what I am afraid of. That they will tell me all kind of bad stuff that I don't want to hear.

One of the bad things she told me was when she called me and told me not to give anyone my last name in the next few days. People do works on you with your last name. Apparently, a guy that I had a "thing" with when I first started visiting DR has a girlfriend in NJ. Apparently she was visiting in December and when I was there (in Sajoma) unbeknownst to me, she was told about it. Mind you it has been about 5-6 months since I have even spoken to this guy but I had her worried. (I must have been looking good whatever day she saw me!) Anyway, she went to a Bruja to put a job on me as to keep us (me and him) separated, but she needed my last name. So 2 days after my Bruja told me not to give anyone my last name she had a friend of hers ask me what my last name was....but hahaha I was prepared and gave her some fake apellido. I am just now finding out all of this because another friend of hers just told me. (BTW - there are no "friends" in the campo, because they all are bochincheras). Anyway, the funny thing about it is, I called her man (who is still a friend of mine) and told him what his girl was up to and we got caught up and now we talk everyday. Before, I had not seen or heard from him in months!!! Now she has caused the opposite of what she wanted.:cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:

She told me when a guy I really liked was using me and told me to dump him, and I did. Even though I really liked him.
You have to trust them, if you don't nothing is going to work. Also when they tell you something from the future, you cannot try to "make" it happen. For example, she described the person that I am going to marry and be with but I cannot go around asking out every guy that fits that description, trying to make it come faster. And some things she says I kind of raise an eyebrow to but I trust her either way. She told me last week that I will not remain in the DR forever, that when this guy comes to my life we will live together in the states and I will have 2 more children with this man (This is where I raised an eyebrow as my tubes are tied), but I stll trust her and if she says I am having 2 more kids, they are coming I'm sure.:cheeky:

My Bruja is on my list of monthly expenses, and believe me I call her before I make any big decisions. She always tells me if it is safe for me to fly (I travel alot), and believe me, if she tells me not to get on a plane...I'm calling in sick!!!
SHALENA

I visit this board occasionally just to find out recent happenings in different locations within the Dominican republic couple weeks before I enter the country; which I do four times a year. I've always found it interesting how little discussion there is about this particular subject matter. It is of interest to me as I am a Yoruba priest. Babalawo is my official title which I have held for 25 years. I am called occasionally by individuals in the capital, Santiago and Sosua to give readings and performs virtual operations on their behalf. Santeria, is a euphemism used to describe Ifa and Orisa practice in the Caribbean. The religion is Nigerian also practiced in the Republic of Benin West Africa. After the African Diaspora this religion was brought by slaves to the Caribbean and flourished in Cuba. It is a monotheistic religion with deities which represent elements of nature. I can assure you that it is quite a serious matter and very real. "Santeria" is not like voodoo practiced by Haitians; as the voodoo practiced in Haiti is known as Palo and comes from Angola and the Congo region. Also quite real. Western culture has always demonized these religions as Christian dogma has been very influential in suppressing any indigenous religion. In the Dominican Republic Yoruba religious practices are not seen as it is in Cuba, Brazil, Venezuela, Trinidad and in Hispanic communities throughout the United States. The Dominican Republic has a form of spiritualism which is known by all Dominicans as Sanse. This full spiritualism is an amalgam of Catholic saint worship and Haitian voodoo. Dominicans believe or I should say some Dominicans believe there is a synchronization of Catholic saints and some Haitian voodoo deities. Also they invoke some saints which were excommunicated and he canonized during Vatican II. If you have any further questions on the subject matter I can be reached via e-mail at Ifalasa@aol.com is my field of expertise and I give university level lectures on the subject matter. I hope his been helpful.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I visit this board occasionally just to find out recent happenings in different locations within the Dominican republic couple weeks before I enter the country; which I do four times a year. I've always found it interesting how little discussion there is about this particular subject matter. It is of interest to me as I am a Yoruba priest. Babalawo is my official title which I have held for 25 years. I am called occasionally by individuals in the capital, Santiago and Sosua to give readings and performs virtual operations on their behalf. Santeria, is a euphemism used to describe Ifa and Orisa practice in the Caribbean. The religion is Nigerian also practiced in the Republic of Benin West Africa. After the African Diaspora this religion was brought by slaves to the Caribbean and flourished in Cuba. It is a monotheistic religion with deities which represent elements of nature. I can assure you that it is quite a serious matter and very real. "Santeria" is not like voodoo practiced by Haitians; as the voodoo practiced in Haiti is known as Palo and comes from Angola and the Congo region. Also quite real. Western culture has always demonized these religions as Christian dogma has been very influential in suppressing any indigenous religion. In the Dominican Republic Yoruba religious practices are not seen as it is in Cuba, Brazil, Venezuela, Trinidad and in Hispanic communities throughout the United States. The Dominican Republic has a form of spiritualism which is known by all Dominicans as Sanse. This full spiritualism is an amalgam of Catholic saint worship and Haitian voodoo. Dominicans believe or I should say some Dominicans believe there is a synchronization of Catholic saints and some Haitian voodoo deities. Also they invoke some saints which were excommunicated and he canonized during Vatican II. If you have any further questions on the subject matter I can be reached via e-mail at Ifalasa@aol.com is my field of expertise and I give university level lectures on the subject matter. I hope his been helpful.

I really wanted to understand that but it was just waaaaaay over my head.
SHALENA

Status
Not open for further replies.